overall

RATINGS: 2353   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.87   IBU: 69   EST. CALORIES: 189   ABV: 6.3%
Ebony in color with a rich creamy head. The mellow flavor of oats, chocolate malts, and real chocolate are balanced perfectly with the right amount of hops for a bittersweet finish. Chocolate Stout is brewed with 10 ingredients: Northwest Harrington and Klages, Crystal 135-165 and Beeston Chocolate Malts, Cascade Hops, Rolled Oats and Roasted Barley, Natural Chocolate Flavor, Free Range Coastal Waters and PacMan Yeast.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
shadey (1913) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - MAY 9, 2004
Delicious. This was my first shot at a product from the Rogue brewery. Great color and head. Enticing aroma. Delicious flavor.

DocLock (8054) - Lower Pottsgrove, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 7, 2004
Thanks to temporrari for this one. Pours deep brown with an awesome head and lacing. Smells of chocolate, malt, and even vanilla! Tastes very malty, with dark chocolate, vanilla, and slight anise at the finish. This one reminds me a lot of the Ortliebs vanilla porter and the Valley Forge Georges porter. I think our local PA guys have mimicked Rogue pretty well on this one. A marvelous brew.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
jew02 (16) - Peoria, Illinois, USA - MAY 7, 2004
I was actually disappointed with this stout. After having Young’s Double Chocolate Stout, I was exctied to find another Chocolate Stout. This isn’t near as smooth as Young’s but still has the Chocolate Stout flavor. Good beer to try once.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
BeerVixen (6) - New York, USA - MAY 7, 2004 does not count
WOW! What a stout! It is definitely one of the best stouts around. I’ve had a cask-conditioned version of this chocolate stout previously but I have to say that the bottled version is definitely superior in every way. This stout poured an almost opaque dark brown, almost like espresso coffee. The head was minimal and tan-colored, leaving only the slightest trace of lacing. The aroma was VERY promising. Chocolate and hops all the way! The ultimate fulfillment was that first swig.... all chocolate and definitely delicious! It is a fabulous stout which I would highly recommend to any chocaholics like me! ;-)

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Cornboy (424) - Eastampton, New Jersey, USA - MAY 2, 2004
Dark, creamy, chocolate with carbonation and alcohol. What more could you want!!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
jsquire (3562) - St. Marys, Ohio, USA - APR 30, 2004
Very dark out of the bottle with a brown head and a vanilla bean/cocoa nose. This beer improved greatly as it warmed up. Molassess, burnt caramel, vanilla, oak, and lots of chocolate. Almost oily chocolate on the tongue. Not my favorite use of chocolate in beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
brownaler (378) - Topsail Beach, North Carolina, USA - APR 27, 2004
Has a nutty and rich chocolate aroma and pitch black appearance. It a silky texture with a dry malt finish. I must have some acid build up in my throat because I've had some bad encounters with the dry malt and I doubt this beer has that much problems with balance in the back, so I'm giving Rogue the benefit of the doubt.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
axilla (962) - New Providence, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 26, 2004
Very dark used motor oil appearance. Nice and thick. Strong dark chocolate and coffee aroma and flavor. Roasted, slightly burnt malts. Refreshing hop finish folowing the thick chocolate. Great stout.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Pigfoot (2268) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - APR 20, 2004
A mighty stout, and mighty, mighty delicious! Black as the dark night, she is, with a thick, prodigious, bubbly brown head. With a little stirring, it reminds me of Quik cocoa mix, which adequately describes the aroma and the taste! Aroma is dry and earthy, loaded with cocoa,plus hints of anise and rum. It all gets richer, the more I drink in the nose...so pull it out, and drink already! Smooth, very smooth, and tasty. Chocolate taste is not shy, and lingers in the mouth. Goodness gravy, this is delicious! Oh, yummy... Any technical knowledge I can pretend to fails me, and with a very good reason. This was the third, and largest, sample in my trio of chocolate stout tastings. I may have gone overboard...

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
collegebeerguy (9) - Salem, Oregon, USA - APR 16, 2004 does not count
Talk about dark with a rich creamy head -- this is it. Strong chocolate tones. Have had it on tap and in the bottle -- on tap gives a crisper taste. Another excellent Rogue!