overall
Serve in Dimpled mug, Stein

RATINGS: 3503   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.49   IBU: 40   EST. CALORIES: 198   ABV: 6.6%
Dead Guy is a German-style Maibock made with Rogue’s proprietary "PacMan" ale yeast. It is deep honey in color with a malty aroma, rich hearty flavor and a well balanced finish. Dead Guy is created from Northwest Harrington, Klages, Maier Munich and Carastan malts, along with Perle and Saaz Hops.
In the early 1990s Dead Guy Ale was created as a private tap sticker to celebrate the Mayan Day of the Dead (November 1st, All Souls Day) for Casa U Betcha in Portland, Oregon. The Dead Guy design proved popular and was incorporated into a bottled product a few years later with MaierBock as the elixir.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
rauchbier (3634) - Isle Of Beer, Lincolnshire, ENGLAND - AUG 8, 2002
UPDATED: AUG 4, 2003 One year on, re rated. Bumped up the appearance one point, well balanced and hoppy. Bottled, at the GBBF in London. Amber coloured with moderate head and condition. Hoppy aroma becoming malty and caramel like with a hint of yeastiness thrown in. Good level of hop flavour and bitterness balancing out the fruity-yeasty body and a thick chewy aftertaste tempered by a nice bitterness. The first of an evenings drinking of (mostly) American brews.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
mribm (458) - Ocala, Florida, USA - AUG 7, 2002
I tried the St. Rogue Red and this beer back to back. To me, they tasted very similar malt-wise, however this beer was missing a lot of the hop character of the St. Rogue Red. It was a good tasting beer that I would try again. I don’t understand the comparisons to IPA’s because this beer had a very low hop profile to me.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
GPyott (67) - Kenosha, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 2, 2002
I haven’t seen this stuff in close to a decade, so I was very pleased when I stumbled across it in my local GROCERY store (although they really do have a nice selections of “exotic” beers). On part, I agree with Wakie in that DGA does have some strong similarities with an IPA (after all, it is brewed in Oregon), but it also finishes with the undeniable sweet, full-bodied flavor that was present in a couple Maibock/bocks I’ve had. I for one, think the combination is great.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Wakie (612) - Centreville, Virginia, USA - AUG 1, 2002
A darker malt flavor. Reminded me more of an IPA than a bock. Very basic but not a very good bock. I was thoroughly disappointed.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
zibit (5) - USA - JUL 29, 2002 does not count
Dead Guy Ale. Very tasty. When I have some money and dont want to buy cheap beer, I get this. Kind of spendy here, 7.50 a 6pk but well worth it, a great beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
LordNeuf (136) - Acton, Massachusetts, USA - JUL 26, 2002
Had this as ’Dead Guy Ale’ Cloudy malt with a refreshing taste. I did not detect much aroma but it had a lovely copper look, with a translucent body. trademarking a good ale. Good feel down. I am gonna try it with the shakespear stout in a black and tan.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
wilkie (1208) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - JUL 24, 2002
Had this beer as Dead guy ale in NC--which has a beer upper limit of 6% (I try not to let that bother me when I brew beer). Complex malt flavor. Splendid hop flavor--with a blend of bitterness. Smooth initial flavor, with some caramel flavor. The appearance is cloudy lending to believe it has some wheat malt. I didn’t think it tasted like a Mai-bock, but I think it is one of the best light colored beers available. I love Perle hops in my own beer for bittering, so I like it here as well. While I think it missed the target as far as being a maibock, it is still one of the best beers I have had.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
SJP (483) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 24, 2002
Had this as the dead guy ale. A very nice strong flavor that is slightly sweet, with a very strong, complex malt flavor and moderate hoppiness. A very tasty beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
blank (996) - Austin, Texas, USA - JUL 23, 2002
Great Flavor but a very hoppy taste. Definatly a repeat preformer. A high quality bock.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
weusebio (69) - Portland, Oregon, USA - JUL 22, 2002
me like. me like a lot. tasty, very easy to drink. i have no complaints at all. god i love the northwest.