Rogue Farms 19 Original Colonies Mead

overall
Brewed by Rogue Ales
Style: Mead
Newport, Oregon USA

RATINGS: 124   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.42   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Formerly Chatoe Rogue 19 Original Colonies Mead.
Situated just across from 40 acres of Rogue hops, 19 colonies of bees were carefully kept and fed. Their honey was extracted, filtered and brewed as a jasmin-infused Mead. Brewed with 5 ingredients: Rogue Hopyard Honey, Wild Flower Honey, Jasmin Silver Tip Green Tea Leaves, Champagne Yeast, & Free Range Coastal Water.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
DiscerninDrunk (1) - - AUG 28, 2014 does not count
Pours clear with a thin white head that dissipates quickly, left with a light yellow-straw to golden color. Should be considered a metheglin for rating purposes (noticed one irate mead lover). Aroma strongly of wild honey, carbonation not unlike a prosecco, very fine, delicate bubbles roll across the tongue as you are taken away by honey. Jasmine shows up as a mild aftertaste, though not unnoticed. Semi-sweet, quite pleasant.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
TheBeerVal (6) - - AUG 28, 2014 does not count
Awesome aroma - heavy on the honey. The taste is light on the jasmine; itís present, but the honey is first and foremost. Still, itís not cloyingly sweet. It has a slight tastness to balance it out. Maybe a little tart for a mead, but I dig it.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
JoeMcPhee (8411) - Toronto, ON, Ontario, CANADA - AUG 25, 2014
Slightly cloudy/hazy pour with a fast-fading white head. The nose has a bit of floral wildflower honey, light herbal character and a touch of white pepper. Slightly zesty with a touch of citrus fruit. Not a mead with a ton of character, but itís reasonably thirst-quenching and has some character.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
robinvboyer (3084) - Sturgeon Falls, Ontario, CANADA - AUG 14, 2014
650ml bottle. Hazy golden pour, with a tiny, quickly disapearing white head. There is a strong aroma of floral honey, some jasmin, some bitter green tea and what seems to be grape juice. Next to no carbonation, mouth feel is watery. Finish is slightly sweet, with no bitterness. Light honey notes with more of that odd welchs grape juice. This is odd, not terrible, but i dont see it as a mead.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
jksipa (324) - Newmarket, Ontario, CANADA - AUG 8, 2014
Bottle from the LCBO. Slightly hazy pale gold with a tiny white head that is quickly gone. Honey and light floral notes on the nose. Quite sweet honey start with a tart middle with some lemon. Medium mouth with quite active carbonation. Enjoyable, but as my first mead, not sure how it compares to others.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
obguthr (3767) - Staunton, Virginia, USA - AUG 2, 2014
Honey nose. Clear very pale yellow, still. Wow, this is super dry! Dry, and virtually flavorless. Subtle honey is detected on the back of the palate. Fizzy and harsh. Not my thing as I prefer sweeter meads, but this is not derserving of the very poor ratings.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Helsdon (148) - Toronto, CANADA - JUL 31, 2014
Is there a buzz about this beer? Or rather mead, which I know nothing about. Itís could be the beeís knees, or just a mead from the b-list. But I like Rogue enough that I made a bee line, (which honestly is a rather wandering thing) for this beer, uh, mead. It pours yellow with a little cloud, and the head only develops after the pour to a dense white sheeting of head, thanks to a pop-like carbonation of big bubbles. Your get the honey in the nose, a touch of fish (fresh, not old and stinky) and thatís about it. Very sweet on the first sip, honey of course, a little zing on the palate, fairly thin on the finish. Not a lot of complexity here, but itís something new for me and I appreciate that. But this place isnít called ratemead so I fear, Rogue, the honeymoon is over, and your mead isnít getting a great rating.

Fishhead1227 (1) - - JUL 18, 2014 does not count
First I need to start out that I am almost appalled at the comments and ratings on this individual alcoholic beverage being compared to beer. This is mead. You do not use wheat or barley or hops, you use water and honey. This is not a beer and you cannot compare it to a beer, it is a category all in itself. I rated this mead based on this experience alone, although I feel I should give it a higher mark to offset the low ratings from some people who donít really understand what mead is. That being the case, I must now second guess every other rating for every beer on this website due to lack of knowledge of the beer that is being rated. This is my first entry, I feel I have to defend this one because I feel so highly about it. Locally here in Memphis we have a growler store, I picked up a half-gallon and brought it home and poured it into a snifter. Naturally, allow it to breathe for a bout 3 to 5 minutes and check the nose. Immediately I smell beeswax and clover honey, there is a very subtle hints of citrus and Jasmine. On the mouth feel, it is very light and crisp, sharp carbonation, almost Champagne like, flavors of honey, lemon zest, hints of rice cake(seriously). The very first taste is not as impressive as I would hope but the following sips lead to a brighter and more round flavor. The finish is quite dry, unexpected yet quite satisfying. It reminds me of a dry white wine with a slight sweetness to it. Not a homemade mead yet it doesnít taste mass produced. $10 for a 64 ounce draft growler is well worth my money and a nice break from beer. I recommend to anyone not delving into Bud or Coors as their go to beer.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
giancarloh (52) - - JUN 16, 2014
Really fruity very good taste but doesn't fill my taste for beer bit is not that bad to hate it will recommend to all my female friends because of its smoothness

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
steeleliver (120) - Minnesota, USA - JUN 4, 2014
Iím not too familiar with meads, but this would appear to be more of a hybrid mead to me. Very light and airy, with champagne yeast effervescence. Pour is mostly clear with a yellowish tint, minimal head. Fruity, with notes of honey. Very carbonated mouthfeel. Perfect session summer beer in my book, sweet like a cider and refreshing. Nothing too special as it doensít have a complex flavor or texture.