overall
Brewed by Rogue Ales
Style: Mead
Newport, Oregon USA

RATINGS: 117   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.4   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Formerly Chatoe Rogue 19 Original Colonies Mead.
Situated just across from 40 acres of Rogue hops, 19 colonies of bees were carefully kept and fed. Their honey was extracted, filtered and brewed as a jasmin-infused Mead. Brewed with 5 ingredients: Rogue Hopyard Honey, Wild Flower Honey, Jasmin Silver Tip Green Tea Leaves, Champagne Yeast, & Free Range Coastal Water.

jdskinns' rating

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
jdskinns (194) - South Roxana, Illinois, USA - FEB 16, 2013
On tap. Terrible. Worst thing I’ve ever drank. Pours like dirty water. Translucent and just slightly more yellow/brown than tap water. Aroma is non-existent. Taste is just awful. Toothpaste, medicinal, throat spray, chewing tobacco, and vomit. Please never make this again.

Fishhead1227 (1) - - JUL 18, 2014 does not count
First I need to start out that I am almost appalled at the comments and ratings on this individual alcoholic beverage being compared to beer. This is mead. You do not use wheat or barley or hops, you use water and honey. This is not a beer and you cannot compare it to a beer, it is a category all in itself. I rated this mead based on this experience alone, although I feel I should give it a higher mark to offset the low ratings from some people who don’t really understand what mead is. That being the case, I must now second guess every other rating for every beer on this website due to lack of knowledge of the beer that is being rated. This is my first entry, I feel I have to defend this one because I feel so highly about it. Locally here in Memphis we have a growler store, I picked up a half-gallon and brought it home and poured it into a snifter. Naturally, allow it to breathe for a bout 3 to 5 minutes and check the nose. Immediately I smell beeswax and clover honey, there is a very subtle hints of citrus and Jasmine. On the mouth feel, it is very light and crisp, sharp carbonation, almost Champagne like, flavors of honey, lemon zest, hints of rice cake(seriously). The very first taste is not as impressive as I would hope but the following sips lead to a brighter and more round flavor. The finish is quite dry, unexpected yet quite satisfying. It reminds me of a dry white wine with a slight sweetness to it. Not a homemade mead yet it doesn’t taste mass produced. $10 for a 64 ounce draft growler is well worth my money and a nice break from beer. I recommend to anyone not delving into Bud or Coors as their go to beer.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
giancarloh (47) - - JUN 16, 2014
Really fruity very good taste but doesn't fill my taste for beer bit is not that bad to hate it will recommend to all my female friends because of its smoothness

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
steeleliver (120) - Minnesota, USA - JUN 4, 2014
I’m not too familiar with meads, but this would appear to be more of a hybrid mead to me. Very light and airy, with champagne yeast effervescence. Pour is mostly clear with a yellowish tint, minimal head. Fruity, with notes of honey. Very carbonated mouthfeel. Perfect session summer beer in my book, sweet like a cider and refreshing. Nothing too special as it doens’t have a complex flavor or texture.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
smaynard6000 (605) - Apopka, Florida, USA - MAY 18, 2014
22oz bottle. Hazy golden in appearance with small fizzy white head. Aroma is somewhat like white wine. Somewhat sweet honey flavor along with some tartness. Light-to-medium bodied. I haven’t had too many meads, but this was palatable and drinkable for me.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
snoworsummer (1925) - baltimore, Maryland, USA - MAY 18, 2014
Draft at Beer and Bacon. Pours Almost clear yellow gold with a bubbly white head. Tastes like honey, apples, light citrus, very light spice, slightly dry, light sweetness. Light body and low carbonation. Smells like fermenting apples and spicy honey.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
OD40oz (773) - Box Elder, South Dakota, USA - MAY 4, 2014
I wasn’t expecting much out of this one but it was decent. The honey wasn’t too overwhelming.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
BVery (5969) - Burnsville, Minnesota, USA - APR 29, 2014
Tap. Pale washed out yellow pour with no head. Mild honey and jasmine, tastes artificial - this isn’t working for me at all.

1.3
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 3/20
MrChopin (3220) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - APR 27, 2014
hazy honey, thinnest white ring. Foot and plastic nose, contrasts strongly with honey sweetness. Stale pale malt flavor up front, light dms mid with papery and fizzy spent grain in the finish, lightly sticky honey throughout the watery.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
BRW (964) - Barcelona, SPAIN - APR 23, 2014
At BBF. Golden colour with white head. Wine, honey aroma. Sweet, honey, vinegar and acid taste. Light body.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
onceblind (3938) - Denver, Colorado, USA - APR 3, 2014
Sparkling clear straw hue with a bubbly head. Nose reminds me of sunscreen and tropical fruit notes like pineapple and mango/melon. But that sunscreen note is distracting. The taste has a little lemony notes about it with a small sweetness, no honey notes, and a bit of passion fruit or mango. That sunscreen tone comes back JUST a little on the finish.