overall
Brewed by Rogue Ales
Style: Brown Ale
Newport, Oregon USA

RATINGS: 2236   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.71   IBU: 28   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Dark brown in color with a hazelnut aroma, a rich nutty flavor and a smooth malty finish. Hazelnut Brown Nectar Ale is a blend of Great Western 2-row Pale, Munich, Hugh Baird Brown, Crystal 80 and Crystal 135, Carastan, and Beeston Pale Chocolate malts; hazelnut extract; Perle and Saaz hops.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
auto (163) - California, USA - APR 11, 2004
tap. brownish head, dark colour. smell of coffee beans. smoothe creamy aftertaste.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
y0cola (361) - fremont, California, USA - APR 10, 2004
on tap @ hopyard:Aroma of chocolate and Hazelnuts. Thick round mouthfeel. slightly watery at first, but ends with a very nutty and rich taste. Slight bitterness and caramel.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Yankovitch333 (612) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - APR 4, 2004
Pours a dark brown with no head. Lots of hazelnut on the nose. Smells like something I'd get at Starbucks, but better! Mildly sweet and hoppy as well. Creamy mouthfeel. Caramel, coffee, and hazelnut on the tongue. Nice dry hop finish, with a aftertaste of coffee and hazelnut. This is an awesome beer! I tend to not like brown ales but this one is amazing!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
jollyraider (252) - Los Angeles, California, USA - APR 3, 2004
Dark brown with a small tan head. Aroma of hops, flavor is lots of malts and of course, sweet hazelnut. Too sweet for me to drink more than the bomber, and not my thing, but a really solid beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
DocLock (7703) - Lower Pottsgrove, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 29, 2004
I was very impressed with this one. It pours deep brown, with a subdued head. The first sip provided a blast of hazenut flavor, with a good sweetness. Hints of caramel, toffee, almonds, and brown sugar presented themselves. The finish was smooth and malty, with a nice hop kicker. A wonderful brown ale.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Rockinout (966) - Kent, Ohio, USA - MAR 24, 2004
Not being a big fan of hazelnuts, I can still appreciate the quality of this beer. Rich malty presence with hazelnuts at the finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
jde123 (763) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - MAR 22, 2004
UPDATED: OCT 31, 2004 While not the very best beer from this brewer, it ranks up there pretty highly. Smooth, very smooth, with a silky quality to it that is unrivaled among the population of brown ales. I really enjoy this one.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
FROTHINGSLOSH (4785) - GREENSBURG, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 21, 2004
UPDATED: AUG 22, 2011 This is a great beer. A favorite for both my wife and me and the Rogue beer we go for the most. +++ Sampled from a22 oz brown bottle this beer pours a very dark brown color with a small tan head. There is a sweet hazelnut and coffee aroma. The texture is smooth and creamy. The flavor is very nutty, moderately roasty and slightly bitter on the lingering aftertaste. Wonderful.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 6/20
fly (1417) - austin, Tejas, Alabama, USA - MAR 19, 2004
Fneh. Shouddah know'd. I steer clear of flavored coffees for a reason. Don't get me wrong, I like hazelnuts. Hell, I even like filberts. While some natural flavor or even malt may be utilized, I just don't care - not my kingd of beer. I mean I can taste a good beer under it all, but just can't get past what most others probably love. And to top it off, a phone call came right in the middle of sampling and I got up, knocked the damn glass to the floor. Have never had a glass shatter into so many bits. Beer and glass - gotta love it.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
123456green (46) - houston, Texas, USA - MAR 14, 2004
UPDATED: JUN 6, 2004 Wonderful aroma. Nuts, brown maple syrup. very smooth at the end. If you let warm (too much) becomes somewhat sweet. But other then that great beer to have around all year long. Cling to glass rather boldly.