overall
Brewed by Rogue Ales
Style: Brown Ale
Newport, Oregon USA

RATINGS: 2310   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.71   IBU: 28   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Dark brown in color with a hazelnut aroma, a rich nutty flavor and a smooth malty finish. Hazelnut Brown Nectar Ale is a blend of Great Western 2-row Pale, Munich, Hugh Baird Brown, Crystal 80 and Crystal 135, Carastan, and Beeston Pale Chocolate malts; hazelnut extract; Perle and Saaz hops.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
haddon90 (1490) - Denver, Colorado, USA - AUG 26, 2003
No head whatsoever. Nice color though. Nice brown from the tap. Some hop/malt from the aroma and taste. Not the best Brown Ale I've had, but not bad. Not as much hops as I wanted, but overall OK.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Ubiquibeer (140) - Cleveland, USA - AUG 23, 2003
Pours a dark brown, muddy color with little head. Caramel, malty aroma. Taste hazelnut (of course), malts, coffee, and an ever so slight bittersweet, then dry finish. The alcohol notes are more noticeable as it warms--it is after all over 6%. I think it is a tad bitter than normal for a brown ale, but as a hophead, that is not a bad thing. Not as thick as I would want, but the flavors in this beer are outstanding. Malty, rich and earthy. Almost tastes like a full-bodied Vienna. Brown ales are not my favorite style, but I can appreciate the quality of this brew. To all my hophead comrades, take a break from the hop once in a while and try this delicious malty wonder.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
DrGonzo (625) - Somerville, Massachusetts, USA - AUG 22, 2003
Bottle, both the design with the guy holding the massive stein and the morimoto, which confused me in the store thinking I was buying 2 different beers. Worked out good anyways, because this is a fantanstic beer. Pours a beautiful dark brown ruby color, with medium beige head. Aroma of nuts, coffee. The initial taste is incredible, sweet mocha hazelnut goodness, full malts and just the right hops. Wonderfully smooth, soft carbonation. Long finish has more of a sweet nutty flavor, some black tea, very little bitterness. Almost too sweet at times, but just right. I can't imagine a better brown ale. I like how the bottle lists all the ingredients as well....I think this might have sold me on Rogue beers. Outstanding in its style and all around.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
BierBauch (784) - Cape Coral Waterfront Wonderland, Florida, USA - AUG 13, 2003
A vigorous pour yielded only a thin yet creamy and condensed tan head atop a cloudy deep amber brown body. The head thinned out even more to but a slight film. Aroma is malty, nutty and with noticable hops present and hints of coffee and chocolate. Mouthfeel is very smooth with a creaminess to it. Flavor is reminding me of Sam Smiths nutbrown yet definately more bitter. Finishes a tad dry. Overall would be better if less bitter in my opinion.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
jeffc666 (1984) - Fairfax, Virginia, USA - AUG 12, 2003
I am a bit diappointed with this one. The beer looks good, brownish-red in color, slightly hazy, Quickly diminishing light brown head. Nutty malt aromas with subtle hazelnut. The taste and mouth-feel were the big letdown for me. Very lively carbonation, a little too much so for me. Medium bodied. Hazelnut flavors are there but they are not too big. Nutty roasted malt flavors are predominate. The hops don't really kick in until the swallow, when you get a definite bitterness. Sort of like drinking cold carbonated hazelnut coffee.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
bierkoning (10555) - La Tropica, NETHERLANDS - AUG 11, 2003
Bottle. Brown color with a hint of orange. Hazelnut aroma, indeed, with caramel. Good lacing. Flavor has hazelnuts, oakleaves, glue and salt. In fact the smell of a fisherman's boat in Scheveningen harbor. Fairly thin, even a bit watery texture. Fishy, caramelly aftertaste. Good, but not entirely convincing.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
MAP (1133) - Lakewood, Ohio, USA - AUG 11, 2003
Dark raspberry color with a fine cream head. A decent nutty smell with some malt goodness also. Flavor is nice and smooth, not too strong at all. A definate drinking beer. The mouthfeel is mildly oily so it goes down very easily, much like SJP's last prom date...but thats a whole different story.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
BBB63 (6154) - La Porte, Indiana, USA - AUG 8, 2003
Dark brown hue with good tan head and some lacing. Yep, there is hazelnut here but also detected coffee, chocolate, cherry, and cookie dough. Nice sweet and tart balance, some fresh hops show in the finish. Most of the aroma showed up on the palate, nice. A bit thin mouthfeel. A very nice brew indeed, shows all the characteristics I look for in a brown ale, plus a little bit more. The best brown I have ever tasted, edgeing out Samuel Smith and Bells. Highly recommended.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Kasteelfreak (341) - Fallbrook, California, USA - AUG 8, 2003
Excellent taste, but just a little watery. I guess browns are like that. I think this the best brown I've ever had. The taste is hazelnut and chocolate. My favorite from Rogue is the chocolate stout. This one gives me teasingly memories of that. Very drinkable. I'm practically guzzling it. It's that good.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Slick (1969) - Thief River Falls, Minnesota, USA - AUG 6, 2003
Good dark brown color,small foamy tan head with a good amount of staying power.Malty aroma,mild bitterness as well as a very light hazelnut aroma.Malty taste at the beginning that later turns to a very nicely done hazelnut flavor,mild cocoa or chocolate in between the top two flavors with a nice bitter taste following up them all.The after taste was mostly chocolate with a hice hoppy presence and posiibly just a hint of hazelnut.The brew has a decent feel to it and also a slight gritty side as well.I'd have to say a very nice brew,and it's to bad this was the last bottle they had but the price was nice .99/bottle out of the clearance basket.