overall
Brewed by Rogue Ales
Style: Brown Ale
Newport, Oregon USA

RATINGS: 2236   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.71   IBU: 28   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Dark brown in color with a hazelnut aroma, a rich nutty flavor and a smooth malty finish. Hazelnut Brown Nectar Ale is a blend of Great Western 2-row Pale, Munich, Hugh Baird Brown, Crystal 80 and Crystal 135, Carastan, and Beeston Pale Chocolate malts; hazelnut extract; Perle and Saaz hops.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
jaymobrown (1647) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - NOV 5, 2002
Some dark roasted chocolate flavors. Distinct brown ale. No head and very little carbonation. Nutty flavors come through. A good brown ale.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
JoeM500 (1902) - Crown Point, Indiana, USA - NOV 4, 2002
Very enjoyable because a lot of flavors come through. A bit watery in the middle, but a nutty, chocolatey taste lingers on after it’s gone.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
proc (342) - Dearborn, Michigan, USA - NOV 3, 2002
An excellent brown ale. The aroma is fantastic. Pours out to a dark brown in the glass with a light brown head. Taste is indeed nutty, with a perfect blend of hops and malt. It got better as it warmed up. This brewery knows beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Nuffield (3658) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - OCT 31, 2002
Attractive beer. First hit is clearly the nuts, with bitterness which I took (mistook?) for a mocha-like hazlenut coffee coming in after a five-second delay. Certainly nutty, although I wasn’t sure it was hazlenut as I know it, but rather something else...a bit of pistachio almost? A certain unsatisfying substructure, a bit thin yet a bit fizzy. The guy sitting next to me at the bar was drinking Bud Light, but I gave him a taste of this and he said ’wow’--perhaps a convert to good beer? I had to leave part of my glass because I was driving...that was a shame. (on tap, Flying Saucer, Addison, TX)

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
wilkie (1208) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - OCT 19, 2002
Aroma begs for the beer to be consumed--nutty and sweet. Brown and clear in appearance. Nut flavor lingers into the aftertaste and changes for a sweet finish. Wonderful bold maltiness. May even be better than draught Moose Drool (forgive me Big Sky Brewing Co.).

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
argo0 (11329) - Washington DC, USA - OCT 14, 2002
Clear brown with hint of red, medium light tan head. Aroma is sweet malty, with a hint of the promised hazelnut. Flavor is full-bodied malt with distinct hazelnut. Finshes nice and smooth, mostly sweet with only the slightest hint of bitterness.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Vac (2445) - San Diego, California, USA - OCT 4, 2002
This dark red-brown beer is topped with a thick head and has lots of lace. it has a slightly sweet and appetizing malty aroma with nutty undertones. the flavor is slightly sweet, nutty and malty with a hint of chocolate and well blanced with hops. the finish is nutty and chocolaty.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
frpst9 (5) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 30, 2002 does not count
My favorite style of beer, and to date, the best beer I’ve ever had. Everything about this beer is wonderful. My only complaint is the lack of consistancy, as not every bottle I’ve had tasted the same. I also don’t recommend drinking any more than one or two of these in a sitting, it could be a bit much.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Brewmaster (168) - USA - SEP 25, 2002
Not a huge fan of Brown ales in general, but have to say this one was pretty darn good.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
herbstress3 (221) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - SEP 25, 2002
Upon first sipping, I declared this to be my favorite beer. After a few more times though I have come to realize that it is not as good as I first thought. It is a good beer, don’t get me wrong. Flavor is great and aroma inviting. However it was a little over carbonated, overly malty and tasted a little silly going down my throat. Maybe I just drank too much or something else...