RATINGS: 1377   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.82/5   SEASONAL: Series   IBU: 74   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
Above and beyond an India Pale Ale--I2PA is radically hopped with an intense aroma and hop bitterness. Unfiltered and aged for 9 months before it leaves the brewery--not for the faint of heart. I2PA is brewed with two-row Pipkin Pale malts, Saaz, Cascade and Northwest Golding hops.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Admiral (524) - Schnecksville, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 14, 2003
Orange. Head is tan, and is initially huge but diminishes rapidly leaving surprisingly little lace. I could smell the hops before the cap was all the way off the bottle. Citrus, pine, and Mittenstein is right about the tobacco; there's sort of a Virginia/Navy Flake thing going on in the background. And he's right about the marijuana, too; his roommate must be getting good stuff. Malt is apparent as a vague background sweetness, but it isn't the focus of this beer so it's OK. Even though the emphasis is very much on the hops, the flavor is somehow extremely well balanced. Even at room temperature the alcohol is dangerously well-hidden. It's medium-bodied, and the almost sadistic bitterness leaves my mouth feeling like I'm drinking an extremely dry white wine. This is outstanding.

loweredsixth (946) - Clovis, California, USA - MAY 8, 2003
Pours a pretty orange with a small (but persistent) white head. The aroma hit me like a tone of bricks...tons of hops in there...sweet apple, bitter grapefruit, slightly floral/herbal. The flavor was quite strong. Massive hops...sweet and very very bitter. There was a life saving malty background character that made this beer very enjoyable. Another homerun for Rogue.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
CaptainCougar (7133) - Columbia, Maryland, USA - MAY 6, 2003
UPDATED: JUL 14, 2004 7/13/2004: Very fresh and hoppy with not nearly as much malt as Dreadnaught and Ruination, yet still well balanced and with some pleasant sweetness. A well done imperial IPA. 5/6/2003: Big, hoppy cookie dough aroma fills the room as soon as I uncap the body. Pours an opaque golden with a short lived off-white head that leaves a light lace on the sides of my glass. Body is semi-sweet with a refined bitterness and a syrupy palate. Finishes sticky and dry with definite alcoholic presence. Like the style says, this really isn't an IPA. Still a pretty decent beer.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 17/20
Frank (3601) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAY 4, 2003
I could smell the citrus in this as soon as I opened it. Just a wonderful aroma--loaded with hops, citrus, and pine with maybe a bit of melon. Good lookin' too with an almost glowing orange color, medium head, and spotty lacing. Hops up front then straight the way through to the lingering bitter finish. I love it. Very strong pine notes. Just a hint of malt sweetness. My major complaint is that it lacks the body to hold up such an intensely hoppy profile. Just a few steps away from IPA greatness.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
duff (5484) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - MAY 4, 2003
UPDATED: JUN 4, 2004 AIBA 2003: Was excited to see a Rogue beer at the festival. Very grapefruity, manadariny, piney nose and flavour, heavy on the hops, for sure. Quite bitter and citric, a bit thick and chewy, but vibrant and fresh at the same time, diggable. Re-rate: tap at the brewery. Quite bitter and sweet at the same time. A bit syrupy and sticky at times, but soft to finish, relatively assertive, i thought it was a little to sweet and sticky this time.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
winterlager (101) - Orchard Park, New York, USA - APR 27, 2003
This has been the best IPA I have had. The smell is amazing. A sweet citrus scent that is delightful and combined with the deep dark amber color. An absolutely perfect balance of sweet and bitterness. Smooth lasting taste. I love those hops!!!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Panzuriel (1558) - Westerville, Ohio, USA - APR 26, 2003
Nice tawny brown liquid with a nice head. Very hoppy with fragant floral aromas. Nice hoppy but sweet and finishing bitter. Good texture.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Darkover (1529) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - APR 19, 2003
Pale amber with a small white head. Aroma of hops and pineaple. Flavor of hops and pineapple. Bitter finish.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Rockinout (966) - Kent, Ohio, USA - APR 15, 2003
This ale excited me. The instant I popped the bottle, a slight breeze blew by my nose with an aroma full of citrus: pineapple, orange, grapefruit. It poured a glowing cloudy orange color, nice lacing on the glass. Heavily hopped, I'm sure the "Imperialness" adds to this. Sediment settles on the bottom of the glass, looks smooth as silk. Long lingering bitter finish. Has a tropical feel.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
nshack (13) - Aurora, Illinois, USA - APR 14, 2003
I think it is exactly what it is trying to be... over the top on flavor. I felt like my tongue was assaulted from all sides. And all I wanted was a drink. It flared, fumed and bloomed in all sorts of different ways. I found it a bit overpowering, much more than any other IPA I've ever had. It fits the name "Imperial" well. The citrus was strong, as was the alcoholic heat. For me this was a slow sipper, but left me with the impression that I'd really experienced the far end of the spectrum.