overall

RATINGS: 1369   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.82   SEASONAL: Series   IBU: 74   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
Above and beyond an India Pale Ale--I2PA is radically hopped with an intense aroma and hop bitterness. Unfiltered and aged for 9 months before it leaves the brewery--not for the faint of heart. I2PA is brewed with two-row Pipkin Pale malts, Saaz, Cascade and Northwest Golding hops.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Rockinout (966) - Kent, Ohio, USA - APR 15, 2003
This ale excited me. The instant I popped the bottle, a slight breeze blew by my nose with an aroma full of citrus: pineapple, orange, grapefruit. It poured a glowing cloudy orange color, nice lacing on the glass. Heavily hopped, I'm sure the "Imperialness" adds to this. Sediment settles on the bottom of the glass, looks smooth as silk. Long lingering bitter finish. Has a tropical feel.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
nshack (13) - Aurora, Illinois, USA - APR 14, 2003
I think it is exactly what it is trying to be... over the top on flavor. I felt like my tongue was assaulted from all sides. And all I wanted was a drink. It flared, fumed and bloomed in all sorts of different ways. I found it a bit overpowering, much more than any other IPA I've ever had. It fits the name "Imperial" well. The citrus was strong, as was the alcoholic heat. For me this was a slow sipper, but left me with the impression that I'd really experienced the far end of the spectrum.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 19/20
xmandax (130) - Astoria, New York, USA - APR 9, 2003
wow. this beer made me happy, perhaps in part because i'm fairly sure the gentleman at half time in poughkeepsie, ny forgot to charge me for it because he was staring at my breasts. free beer is almost always better beer, not that this beer needs any help. aroma is very hoppy with notes of citrus, and i, too, found myself fighting the urge to start inhaling it. the flavor has the citrus, also, and maybe tiniest bit of a floral undertone and some sweetness also. a beautiful beer in the glass, copper and cloudy, with a fine silt covering the bottom. somewhat thin. even though it was free, i would definitely have been willing to pay to have experienced this beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
BierBauch (784) - Cape Coral Waterfront Wonderland, Florida, USA - APR 7, 2003
UPDATED: DEC 17, 2003 If there is an ale out there with more hops than this one , someone please tell me. I couldn't stop sticking my nose in my glass every 2 minutes with this one. The aroma was so intense. I think this is so hoppy that the aroma must have been neutrlaizing the bitterness on my tongue. This isn't your everyday ale but a great almost novelty like experience. The first beer to actually cause me to laugh out loud after smelling it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
MAP (1133) - Lakewood, Ohio, USA - APR 7, 2003
Smells just like grapefruit, with hints of other citrus. Color is a nice orange with white head this dissipates quickly. Taste follows with strong citrus feel, the taste of grapefruit appears here also. Hops are the most logical taste given here, which is not a suprise and incoporated with some malty sweetness. I would have likes somethign more bitter, but 74 IBU's are nothign to sneeze at.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
GermanBrews76 (680) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - APR 6, 2003
Hazy golden body void of carbonation. Super thin clingy head, off white in color. Fruity and floral, grapefruits and tulips. Very citrucy initially. almost overpoweringly sweet-tart-ish. Lively palate, thin body, but a whole lot of hop action Mostly cascades. A light caramel malt clean-up. Alcohol is masked pretty well.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
edden (925) - cow- lumbus, Ohio, USA - APR 6, 2003
4/5/03: bottle.
medium to light brown color. no lacing. dirty, stinky hop aroma. lots of hops in the taste with some bite. better tasting than i expected.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
bender (293) - Reynoldsburg, Ohio, USA - APR 6, 2003
Poured a nice orange-golden body with a frothy white head that diminshed to nothing. No lacing.
Smelled very hoppy and strong. Maltiness is thin in the nose.
Big hop and malt beer. One of the better ultra strong APA's around. Might age well...
Very thick and smooth on the tongue.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
dlclark (73) - Bloomington, Illinois, USA - APR 4, 2003
This is a very good IPA but also very pricey. Hops are right there with the best of them.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Gunshy (479) - Ohio, USA - MAR 30, 2003
This beer poured a reddish orange color and formed an off white foam head that left little lace as it subsided. Some carbonation is present. An aroma of malt, hops and caramel. A flavor of malt, hops and a slight hint of citrus. A nice finish that is a touch astrigent. A good IPA and about time the distributors got it here after the law change last fall.