overall

RATINGS: 1334   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.82   IBU: 74   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
Above and beyond an India Pale Ale--I2PA is radically hopped with an intense aroma and hop bitterness. Unfiltered and aged for 9 months before it leaves the brewery--not for the faint of heart. I2PA is brewed with two-row Pipkin Pale malts, Saaz, Cascade and Northwest Golding hops.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
proc (342) - Dearborn, Michigan, USA - NOV 7, 2002
Nurse, hook me up with an I.V. of this stat. A wonderful beer. A balanced act of malt and hops that give this beer a high drinkability factor. Tastes of pine/spruce come through along with the hop bite most IPAís have, but it is subdued to the point where it teases you into thinking the hops will be strong, then settles into a easy swallow. Can this brewery make a bad beer? I donít think so. Very, very, very good beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Drew (2411) - Kent, Ohio, USA - NOV 6, 2002
UPDATED: MAY 13, 2003 Cloudy and unfiltered, gold/amber. Poured with a huge sediment flecked head. Although the hops were strong (74 ibu), the main flavor I got was the thick sweeeeet malt. I'm not sure if this one's properly balanced or not, i guess that's up to the individual tongue. Turned out to be just above average for an ipa.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
jazz88 (2544) - San Francisco, California, USA - OCT 31, 2002
UPDATED: JUN 12, 2003 Rating #1 - Tap (7 3 9 4 17). Fully sweet malty and rich with a ton of hops and a full body. The way I like my IPAs. Rating #2 - Bottle (8 4 7 4 17). A swamp hazy light brown color with a laced tan head. A strong floral and fruit hop aroma that is a real pleasure to keep swirling in the glass. Grassy, extremely bitter, dry, and a ton of hops in the flavor. Not as well balanced as I would like, but a big double IPA nonetheless.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
JCW (1274) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - OCT 30, 2002
Cloudy reddish amber. I thought it was pretty malty. After it warm up a bit the hops really come on. I not sure why not Iím that wild about it. Iím a hops guy, I donít think Iíd buy this one again at the price I paid for it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
austinpowers (2826) - New York, New York, USA - OCT 28, 2002
Iím always amazed when it takes me 8 months to find a particular beer, then I learn that over 50 raters have rated it already. I love how this unfiltered beer has tons of sediment in it. Thatís authenticity, baby! I actually LIKE this little 7oz bottle it comes in. A massive IPA, but malty enough to be sweet and drinkable.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
JohnC (3000) - Mission Viejo, California, USA - OCT 26, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 4, 2004 re-rated after 3 Jan 2004 Imperial/IPA tasting Reddish/Amber color, big hops on the tonuge. Neither complex, nor balanced. A hop monster

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
herbjones (742) - Orange, California, USA - OCT 25, 2002
Deep copper color brew. Heavy mouthfeel like most Imperial IPAís. Nose is heavy on the piney/citrusy hops. Not as balanced as the 90 min. or White Knuckle. Very big hopped up monster IPA.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
drismyhero (815) - Tacoma, Washington, USA - OCT 21, 2002
At first taste the bitterness knocked me off my feet. (well not really, but this is all figurative right?) I guess Iím just so used the the Stone IPA right now because I love it so. After my initial shock I kind of worked my way into this beer. This is very bitter, I said that already but I have to illustrate this point clearly, it is very bitter. Itís called I2PA for cryiní out loud (squared, not two). Itís more bitter than the íBrutal Bitterí so would this be the íBrutaler Bitterí? I am rambling. The hops, although incredibly bitter, have a great deal of flavor: flowery and even a little fruity. I hesitate to describe any maltiness, as it is rather hard to distinguish. There is a hell of a lot of sediment at the bottom of the glass leading me to believe that this is dry-hopped to the next level, in your bottle.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
DougShoemaker (3147) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - OCT 20, 2002
Hoppy nose, citrus as well. Hazy apricot colour, small egg custard head. Hoppy at the forefront, followed by a malty, white grapefuit flavour. Bitter, tangy, good tongue tingle, well balanced. A very good Strong Ale!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Prostman (1077) - Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 19, 2002
This is a very good IPA. I thought that the clarity was going to be somewhat clearer, but oh well, this is still a nice brew. Not as good as Stone Ruination though.