overall

RATINGS: 1338   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.82   IBU: 74   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
Above and beyond an India Pale Ale--I2PA is radically hopped with an intense aroma and hop bitterness. Unfiltered and aged for 9 months before it leaves the brewery--not for the faint of heart. I2PA is brewed with two-row Pipkin Pale malts, Saaz, Cascade and Northwest Golding hops.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
DaSilky1 (2606) - San Diego, California, USA - NOV 21, 2002
8/15/02: 2000 Edition Experienced in 2002...Floaters galore..swirling within a glowing orangeness, and enclosed in thin white froth...Hoppy..yet fruity..yet bodacious grapefruit aroma...mellow mouthful..hops have matured over the years, but iím sure they were once big and bold..and are still there forcefully..hops completely balanced by the sweet-like malts..a tad creamy with mellow grapefruit noted and alcohol spurts Re-Rate 10/16/02 I think this one was younger because not only was it in the newer 12 oz bottle, the hops were there in full force..lots of grapefruit bitterness and citrus flavor..nicely balanced...Good stuff..must up the points

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
Marc (486) - Yokosuka, JAPAN - NOV 19, 2002
Tons of fruite in the nose wiuth an oily head and slightly hazy amber body. First sip embraces the mouth in fruit and hops. Some how manages to stay nice and round and not too drying. Spikes of spiced dark fruit and alcohol caome out to play as well as a pronounced malt backbone that lends a light cookie taste. Finishes with nuts, grain, juniper, slight white pepper and alcohol.

Uglyradio (791) - Greenville, South Carolina, USA - NOV 16, 2002
Big fruity aroma of hops that reminds me of Fruit Loops breakfast cereal. Pours a deep amber color with a nice off white head. Full bodied, starts of malty sweet but finishes long and bitter. Another great, intensely hopped IPA from out west, and another fine Rogue ale.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
hennes (934) - Fountain, Michigan, USA - NOV 13, 2002
Well, I was expecting something along the lines of the Bastard, but this is a relatively tame, sophisticated hops attack. Itís really a beer of two minds - in the front of the mouth itís round, fruity (peaches and grapes), but still hearty stuff. As it heads back, though, the rush of kaleidoscopic hop varieties dances lustily with, and eventually overcomes those intiial tastes. An experience to drink - I like it better than most other rogues. I drank this from a full sized bottle so you folks who had the little guys were robbed ...

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
proc (342) - Dearborn, Michigan, USA - NOV 7, 2002
Nurse, hook me up with an I.V. of this stat. A wonderful beer. A balanced act of malt and hops that give this beer a high drinkability factor. Tastes of pine/spruce come through along with the hop bite most IPAís have, but it is subdued to the point where it teases you into thinking the hops will be strong, then settles into a easy swallow. Can this brewery make a bad beer? I donít think so. Very, very, very good beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Drew (2411) - Kent, Ohio, USA - NOV 6, 2002
UPDATED: MAY 13, 2003 Cloudy and unfiltered, gold/amber. Poured with a huge sediment flecked head. Although the hops were strong (74 ibu), the main flavor I got was the thick sweeeeet malt. I'm not sure if this one's properly balanced or not, i guess that's up to the individual tongue. Turned out to be just above average for an ipa.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
jazz88 (2553) - San Francisco, California, USA - OCT 31, 2002
UPDATED: JUN 12, 2003 Rating #1 - Tap (7 3 9 4 17). Fully sweet malty and rich with a ton of hops and a full body. The way I like my IPAs. Rating #2 - Bottle (8 4 7 4 17). A swamp hazy light brown color with a laced tan head. A strong floral and fruit hop aroma that is a real pleasure to keep swirling in the glass. Grassy, extremely bitter, dry, and a ton of hops in the flavor. Not as well balanced as I would like, but a big double IPA nonetheless.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
JCW (1274) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - OCT 30, 2002
Cloudy reddish amber. I thought it was pretty malty. After it warm up a bit the hops really come on. I not sure why not Iím that wild about it. Iím a hops guy, I donít think Iíd buy this one again at the price I paid for it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
austinpowers (2826) - New York, New York, USA - OCT 28, 2002
Iím always amazed when it takes me 8 months to find a particular beer, then I learn that over 50 raters have rated it already. I love how this unfiltered beer has tons of sediment in it. Thatís authenticity, baby! I actually LIKE this little 7oz bottle it comes in. A massive IPA, but malty enough to be sweet and drinkable.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
JohnC (3000) - Mission Viejo, California, USA - OCT 26, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 4, 2004 re-rated after 3 Jan 2004 Imperial/IPA tasting Reddish/Amber color, big hops on the tonuge. Neither complex, nor balanced. A hop monster