overall

RATINGS: 1339   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.82   IBU: 74   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
Above and beyond an India Pale Ale--I2PA is radically hopped with an intense aroma and hop bitterness. Unfiltered and aged for 9 months before it leaves the brewery--not for the faint of heart. I2PA is brewed with two-row Pipkin Pale malts, Saaz, Cascade and Northwest Golding hops.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
JohnC (3000) - Mission Viejo, California, USA - OCT 26, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 4, 2004 re-rated after 3 Jan 2004 Imperial/IPA tasting Reddish/Amber color, big hops on the tonuge. Neither complex, nor balanced. A hop monster

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
herbjones (742) - Orange, California, USA - OCT 25, 2002
Deep copper color brew. Heavy mouthfeel like most Imperial IPA’s. Nose is heavy on the piney/citrusy hops. Not as balanced as the 90 min. or White Knuckle. Very big hopped up monster IPA.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
drismyhero (815) - Tacoma, Washington, USA - OCT 21, 2002
At first taste the bitterness knocked me off my feet. (well not really, but this is all figurative right?) I guess I’m just so used the the Stone IPA right now because I love it so. After my initial shock I kind of worked my way into this beer. This is very bitter, I said that already but I have to illustrate this point clearly, it is very bitter. It’s called I2PA for cryin’ out loud (squared, not two). It’s more bitter than the ’Brutal Bitter’ so would this be the ’Brutaler Bitter’? I am rambling. The hops, although incredibly bitter, have a great deal of flavor: flowery and even a little fruity. I hesitate to describe any maltiness, as it is rather hard to distinguish. There is a hell of a lot of sediment at the bottom of the glass leading me to believe that this is dry-hopped to the next level, in your bottle.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
DougShoemaker (3147) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - OCT 20, 2002
Hoppy nose, citrus as well. Hazy apricot colour, small egg custard head. Hoppy at the forefront, followed by a malty, white grapefuit flavour. Bitter, tangy, good tongue tingle, well balanced. A very good Strong Ale!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Prostman (1077) - Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 19, 2002
This is a very good IPA. I thought that the clarity was going to be somewhat clearer, but oh well, this is still a nice brew. Not as good as Stone Ruination though.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Racegoer (353) - Indiana, Indiana, USA - OCT 18, 2002
Draft;extremly hoppy aroma, stong sensatons of pine, fresh grass cuttings, & grapefruit, flavors abound in this well balanced and hoppy IPA.very floral,Flared colors of orange dominate. Top notch IPA here,I spent a Night drinking Three Floyds Dreadnaught IPA and this is no match against the King,but still a quality IPA, Hoppy, drinkable, and enjoyable, High IBU’s here , complex & recommended.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
TAR (2492) - Lafayette, Colorado, USA - OCT 15, 2002
UPDATED: AUG 5, 2004 Draft, aged one year: Huge pineapple and kind nugget aroma with mildd chardonnay grape, pine sap, sweet pale malt, and caramel. The interplay of pine, caramel, and pineapples is shockling! Flavors of blueberries and flowers. Perfectly numbing to the palate and a very balanced bitterness. Mellow, soft body. (10, 4, 9, 5, 19) The draft version is like light and day in comparison to the bottled countepart. (2002, 12 oz.) The aroma evenly distributes wonderful notes of barnyarrd malt goodness. The foam is very rocky with dense creaminess and attractive stickiness. All afloat an orange color. The hops are very round here, which led me to believe the bittereness was going to be subdued...wrong I was. Gummed candy is quite evident as beer reaches room temp. Very dry. Lingering grapefruit rind bitterness and crisp pale malt. Far too brash and unidimensional, not to mention, extremely sloppy. (6, 3, 5, 3, 10)

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
JoeM500 (1905) - Crown Point, Indiana, USA - OCT 15, 2002
Almost Crayola orange with lively carbonation bubbles rising from the yeast junk at the bottom. Big, thick, off-white head. Nose is slightly bready, mostly citrusy and grassy hops. The malts are nice and sweet at the start, but quickly give way to the big crispy hops. slightly acidic end. Big hop burps. Nothing seems to grow with warmth, which is too bad. A little more maltiness would make this a classic!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Gusler (2653) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - OCT 10, 2002
Re-Rate 10/10/02: Clear as a bell, amber in color, the head Bunyanesque, beige, the lace is in lusty sheets, that last to the hop bitter end. Nose is lightly sweet, floral tones, citrus, ’Sniffable’. Front is glutinously sweet, the top light, the finish is heroically hopped, unassumingly acidic. Decent IPA, a middle of the road American IPA, which is nothing to ’Sneeze’ at. Ranks a respectable #437 on my current 1000 beer list.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
kumite56 (471) - Cordova, Tennessee, USA - OCT 3, 2002
Nice beer for sure. I love the bold hoppy taste. Many would find it too strong I fear but for those who like IPA’s it is worth drinking. Small head with little carbonation. Nice blend of malt but the dominate taste is the bold and wonderfull hopps with no cloying sweetness. A lasting finish as well. This beer will be on my repurchase list.