overall

RATINGS: 1318   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.29   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 34   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Juniper Pale Ale: the new package for Yellow Snow Ale (winter 2004/2005). While the recipe (a pale ale infused with whole juniper berries) on the label remain the same, the name and label are new for 2005. Juniper Pale Ale is available in the classic 22-ounce bottle and on draft. Also known as Pale Rain. Measurements: 13 degrees Plato, IBU 34, Apparent Attenuation 77, Lovibond 3.2.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
shadey (1996) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - JAN 29, 2005
Light amber color with a thin white head and nice lacing. Very nice hop character that is well balanced. Aroma is attractive as well. I find this deserving of a bit more respect than 68 percentile.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
valejo (81) - Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA - JAN 28, 2005
True, it’s yellow. Lightly carbonated with white head, thin aroma, thin flavor. Nice effort, but this beer lacks completeness.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
piscator34 (2130) - Winnipeg, Manitoba, CANADA - JAN 26, 2005
Deep yellow in colour, with minimal carbonation. Mellow malty aroma. Good creamy body. Not a whole lot of juniper or gin flavor, just some nice Munich malt, and a sweet honey like taste. A good sweet v. bitter balance too. Not really what I had expected (juniper wise), but still very enjoyable.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
MillStreetMan (152) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JAN 23, 2005
This isn’t really one of Rogue’s best, but still much better than the average beer. The most striking element of its nose and flavour is the addition of the juniper berries, which evokes gin. It also has a vague hint of unspecified grains. Wheat? Barley? I don’t really know. But the taste is almost rustic. Good stuff.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
jasonp (1556) - Ashburn, Virginia, USA - JAN 21, 2005
Clear golden with a thick white head. Floral hops, grain and lemon in the aroma dept. Taste is grainy, with floral hops and notes of grapefruit, lemon and some other fruitiness I couldn’t quite identify - the bottle says juniper berries. Moderately sweet with a dry, bitter finish. Medium body with lively carbonation. Good head retention. Solid.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
regal (23) - Ringgold,Ga., USA - JAN 19, 2005
Golden yellow color with a small white rocky head.No lacing on my glass.Strong hops smell with some malt also present.Taste had butter,caramel,grapefruity sweetness, and a malty finish.Light body with mild carbonation.Worth a try, but I will pass on this again.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
DerWeg (1562) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JAN 19, 2005
UPDATED: JUL 11, 2005 YELLOW SNOW labelled bottle Hops and juniper berries integrate in a floral/grassy dry bitterness that invokes a whiff of Orval herbal bouquet. It is much less medicinal (and more approachable) than the wonderful trappist Belgian, with a balancing light malty sweetness that is totally apt. Unpretentious name. Weird bottle graphics. Good show Rogue!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
iam (369) - Mississauga, Ontario, CANADA - JAN 19, 2005
I always look forward to popping open a Rogue. This one poured a hazy honey colour with a thin head. Big floral hop and malt aroma. Sweet caramel , berry and malt taste with some roasted malt coming through.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
mustang3 (254) - Whitby, CANADA - JAN 13, 2005
This suffered a bit I think from being consumed in the immediate aftermath of double bastard. Pours out a pretty clear yellow colour. It seemed rather thin and watery. It was alright tatsing with some sweetness from the junipers but I was expecting more. Fairly standard stuff.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
brentfeesh (1208) - Mansfield, Ohio, USA - JAN 10, 2005
Hooray for me on my Birthday! I assume I’m drinking a 2004 but not quite sure. Judging from the taste I would not be surprised if this was 2003. Poured a dark and hazy yellow. The aroma has malty sweetness and lite hoppiness. Well balanced aroma actually. The flavor is (again) well balanced with grapefruit hops and sweet malt and a barley noticeable hint of juniper underneath. The body was thinner that would have liked. Sadly, this beer was not what I remembered. I recalled a stronger hop and juniper presence and a better body. This leads me to believe one of several things. I have an ill cared for bottle...I have an aged bottle (hence the lack of hop presence/juniper)...or my pallet is aging along with the rest of me. I have one other bottle, which I will rate later and I will also check back in with a new purchase.