Brewed by Rogue Ales
Style: Porter
Newport, Oregon USA

RATINGS: 2309   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.58   IBU: 54   EST. CALORIES: 153   ABV: 5.1%
Ruddy brown in color, a bittersweet balance of malt and hops with a light cream finish. 12 Ingredients: 2-Row, Munich, C120, Chocolate, Black, Kiln Coffee & Rogue Farms Dare™ & Risk™ Malts; Rogue Farms Rebel™ & Liberty™ Hops; Free Range Coastal Water and Pacman yeast.
"Let us give praise to our maker and glory to his bounty by learning about beer." - Friar Tuck

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
jus10cider82 (67) - Wichita, Kansas, USA - FEB 23, 2005
(650ml bottle) Pours almost completely black with quite a bit of head that leaves much lacing. All I smell is fruit and maybe alcohol. (weird) Coffee, chocolate, and raisins rule the flavor. Very creamy mouthfeel and finish. I like this one but could have done without the hops.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
spikee (96) - Providence, Rhode Island, USA - FEB 22, 2005
Incredibly delicious milk chocolate nose. Pours a dark, cola brown with a tannish head. Flavor is all malt, milk chocolate and coffee. Finishes crisply and mellows out quickly to a soft roll around the back of mouth. Very impressive. Would definitely buy again.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
richlikebeer (838) - Easton, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 20, 2005
Ok aroma, lots of malts, deep brown with a thin tan head that faded right away. Flavor was not what I was expecting from something called Mocha Porter...I didn’t really get alot of the mocha effect. Overall, the taste was pleasurable, but nothing outstanding. The aftertaste was a little too hoppy for what i like in my porters. This was my first Rogue, and I am hoping they improve as I get a few more varieties.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
ChrisPants (317) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - FEB 18, 2005
Cola-brown pour with beige head. Coffee flavor came out better than any other coffee-flavored beer I’ve had (sorry, brocker, I liked it!) Aroma wasn’t much to speak of, a muted roasty bitter choc. Coffee was mellow guatemalan without the sanka decaf nose that most brews wield as "coffee." Creamy body and bright finish. Well done.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 7/20
brocker (99) - Salina, Utah, USA - FEB 14, 2005
Easily one of the worst porters I have ever had. Looks great off the pour. Deep, dark brown. Fat tan head. Smells very sour, with a hint of chocolate and hops. Tastes equally as sour as it smells, which is awful. Finishes with a tiny hop bite. Seems kind of flat. Tastes like a bad batch of homebrew.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Indy (87) - Hopkins, Minnesota, USA - FEB 13, 2005
UPDATED: MAR 12, 2006 This is a great porter. Vanilla bean, nutty, creamy aromas, a nice dark tan head. Chocolate/Coffee flavors bombard the taste buds, and the effervescent body balances it perfectly. Re-Rate...this beer seems to vary quite a bit from different batches (or maybe it’s just me). The last time I had this, I thought it was God’s gift to porters...this time, it just seems like a decent porter. Still very good, but not the show-stopper I had last time.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
SDalkoholic (2261) - Linda Vista, California, USA - FEB 8, 2005
A vanilla cream aroma and a iced cappuccino nose. When held against a light it looks to be a plum skin purple and a little bit of violet purple. What a beauty of a beer and the head holds up too. Quite a strong flavor of coffee bean. Good stuff and maybe a top ten porter on my list. This is the first time in San Diego i found Rogue’s porter, i feel so lucky tonight.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
GrainBeltGuzzler (249) - Goodhue, Minnesota, USA - FEB 7, 2005
I am looking for some salvation. after choking down a schaefer and than a Alex Keith’s IPA (fridge cleaning) I need something half way decent to take that nasty taste of keith out of my mouth. It’s not at cellar temp, but fridge temp will have to do because I can’t wait any longer. looks encouraging, opaque black with a tannish head. tastes of a nice smooth coffee definately what the doctor ordered to make me forget the low points of the evening. kind of has a smokey flavor too. Good beer, thank goodness for rogue

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
green (186) - Boston, Massachusetts, USA - FEB 6, 2005
Pours dark brown. Mild very pleasant chocolate aroma. Larger bubbles—dissipates quickly. Biting bitterness on the finish. Think my cold is effecting judgment. Doesn’t seem a complex a Sam Smilth of Fullers. Claims to be “refreshingly light” which seems to be true. A little too biter on the finish, but overall very enjoyable.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
DrunkenWeasel (224) - Portland, Oregon, USA - FEB 5, 2005
UPDATED: APR 2, 2005 Pours dark brown with a medium tan head that lasted for awhile. Left thin semi-long lasting lacing. Smelled sweet and hoppy, strong chocolate and coffee overtones. Tasted yummy with a very sweet taste too it, almost too sweet at times. Not a real amazing aftertaste or feel to the beer but not bad either.