Brewed by Rogue Ales
Style: Porter
Newport, Oregon USA

RATINGS: 2393   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.58/5   IBU: 54   EST. CALORIES: 153   ABV: 5.1%
Ruddy brown in color, a bittersweet balance of malt and hops with a light cream finish. 12 Ingredients: 2-Row, Munich, C120, Chocolate, Black, Kiln Coffee & Rogue Farms Dare™ & Risk™ Malts; Rogue Farms Rebel™ & Liberty™ Hops; Free Range Coastal Water and Pacman yeast.
"Let us give praise to our maker and glory to his bounty by learning about beer." - Friar Tuck

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
ChristianSA (368) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - MAR 3, 2005
Bottle; Pitch black with rocky tan head. No aroma. Flavor of licorice and roast malt. Slightly metallic aftertaste. Mouthfeel is thick, almost gravylike. Tasty, but a bit weird.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
desurfer (1290) - Melbourne, Florida, USA - FEB 28, 2005
Pours a jet black with a rocky brown head. Aroma of slight bitter coffee and sweet chocolate. Flavor is lighter than the body suggests, a delicate mix of chocolate and roasted malts, some coffee and hops in there as well. Pretty nice.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
ante (3374) - Stockholm, SWEDEN - FEB 26, 2005
Dark brown, almost black. Thich, creamy light brown head. Crackers, mocha, cookies and dark chocolate in aroma. Coffee, cookies and dark chocolate with a small hint of mocha. Quite short bitter aftertaste from black chocolate.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
BCAR (222) - Naperville, Illinois, USA - FEB 24, 2005
Deep, deep color. Looks great at the pour. Nice creaminess up top. I don’t taste any of the mocha elements, just heavily roasted malt and hops. Too much hops. Hoppy porters may be in style, but the bitterness that they bring to the table offset the creaminess that I like in these types of ale.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
jus10cider82 (67) - Wichita, Kansas, USA - FEB 23, 2005
(650ml bottle) Pours almost completely black with quite a bit of head that leaves much lacing. All I smell is fruit and maybe alcohol. (weird) Coffee, chocolate, and raisins rule the flavor. Very creamy mouthfeel and finish. I like this one but could have done without the hops.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
spikee (96) - Providence, Rhode Island, USA - FEB 22, 2005
Incredibly delicious milk chocolate nose. Pours a dark, cola brown with a tannish head. Flavor is all malt, milk chocolate and coffee. Finishes crisply and mellows out quickly to a soft roll around the back of mouth. Very impressive. Would definitely buy again.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
richlikebeer (838) - Easton, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 20, 2005
Ok aroma, lots of malts, deep brown with a thin tan head that faded right away. Flavor was not what I was expecting from something called Mocha Porter...I didn’t really get alot of the mocha effect. Overall, the taste was pleasurable, but nothing outstanding. The aftertaste was a little too hoppy for what i like in my porters. This was my first Rogue, and I am hoping they improve as I get a few more varieties.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
ChrisPants (317) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - FEB 18, 2005
Cola-brown pour with beige head. Coffee flavor came out better than any other coffee-flavored beer I’ve had (sorry, brocker, I liked it!) Aroma wasn’t much to speak of, a muted roasty bitter choc. Coffee was mellow guatemalan without the sanka decaf nose that most brews wield as "coffee." Creamy body and bright finish. Well done.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 7/20
brocker (99) - Salina, Utah, USA - FEB 14, 2005
Easily one of the worst porters I have ever had. Looks great off the pour. Deep, dark brown. Fat tan head. Smells very sour, with a hint of chocolate and hops. Tastes equally as sour as it smells, which is awful. Finishes with a tiny hop bite. Seems kind of flat. Tastes like a bad batch of homebrew.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Indy (87) - Hopkins, Minnesota, USA - FEB 13, 2005
UPDATED: MAR 12, 2006 This is a great porter. Vanilla bean, nutty, creamy aromas, a nice dark tan head. Chocolate/Coffee flavors bombard the taste buds, and the effervescent body balances it perfectly. Re-Rate...this beer seems to vary quite a bit from different batches (or maybe it’s just me). The last time I had this, I thought it was God’s gift to porters...this time, it just seems like a decent porter. Still very good, but not the show-stopper I had last time.