overall
Brewed by Rogue Ales
Style: Porter
Newport, Oregon USA

RATINGS: 2387   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.58/5   IBU: 54   EST. CALORIES: 153   ABV: 5.1%
Ruddy brown in color, a bittersweet balance of malt and hops with a light cream finish. 12 Ingredients: 2-Row, Munich, C120, Chocolate, Black, Kiln Coffee & Rogue Farms Dare™ & Risk™ Malts; Rogue Farms Rebel™ & Liberty™ Hops; Free Range Coastal Water and Pacman yeast.
"Let us give praise to our maker and glory to his bounty by learning about beer." - Friar Tuck

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Cashazza (217) - Morganville, Maryland, USA - FEB 2, 2005
One of the first brews I had outside swill...almost black appearance, creamy, with sweet malts and roasted chocolate.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
badnewsbeers (2312) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - FEB 1, 2005
black appearance with medium head...strong chocolate nose with coffee and roasted notes; flavor is strong in chocolate with roasted malts, coffee, and a touch of sourness...not a bad porter

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
balke13 (156) - MIssoula, Montana, USA - JAN 30, 2005
Pours a deep and dark mahogony color with a frothy yet quickly diminishing tan head. Roasted malt and some coffee in the nose...relatively light body with a nice roasted coffee mocha flavor with a subtle hit of chocolately bitterness. Very solid brew.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
wpp83 (64) - Athens, Georgia, USA - JAN 24, 2005
You know I was a little surprised by this "porter." The fact is, I didn’t find it very porteresque at all, it reminded me more of a good stout. That aside, the pour was great, deep black with a dark tan head. Aroma of nuts, a smeel which remained true in the flavor, which was predominated by the dry bitter taste of coffee, though it was not without any malty character, however fleeting it was. On the whole I liked this beer, and I know it will find its way to my mouth more times in the future.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
davidflores99 (225) - Lakewood, California, USA - JAN 24, 2005
I liked this brew! Poured a really dark brown, with a small tan head. Aroma was chocolatey, with hints of coffee malts, kinda of a semi sweet aroma. Flavor was great, malty chocolate, coffee, and also a little creamy. Also not too sweet, which I like. This was really good!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
Foxbush (1817) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - JAN 23, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 1, 2008 This is excellent. The head over frothed but the flavor has been all chocolate malts. This is another beer purchased at the World Market. I am enjoying this Porter while watching The Eagles and Falcons get it on. Porters are such special beverages. Full of flavor and taste. There is nothing ho-hum about them. As I push to my 100th beer I will look for more Porters. Another porter was enjoyed at Capital Ale House on 1/31/08. It merits my earlier scores. It is very smooth flavorful porter.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
KarmanGhia (276) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - JAN 21, 2005
UPDATED: MAR 16, 2005 This beer defines "palate" as far as the bitter side of "palate" is concerned. It poars a black that is really dark brown/ruby. The head is disappointingly weak and cheap looking. The initial tastes are of lightly roasted maltiness and sweetness, dark chocolate, and perhaps vanilla. There is a long trailing bitter that starts off mildly acidic or citrusy and ends with definite plumbs. Its a bit too thin and fizzy overall.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 15/20
joshpiledean (316) - Seattle, Washington, USA - JAN 18, 2005
Bottle. Nearly jet black pour, small light tan head. My nose was stuffy, so I had a hard time picking out aromas, but I caught a nice balance of hops and malts. Light roasted chocolate malt, I think, with the hops. That would make sense...ok movin’ on...I get more hops than malt from this brew, seems strange for a porter. Bitter chocolate and coffee tones show up in the end with the hops. Somewhat thin feel. More bitter chocolate comes out as I sit and type this up. I’d really really like this if it had more body to it, it just feels kind of thin, but I like the flavors I’m pulling out.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
DYCSoccer17 (3629) - Woodland, California, USA - JAN 17, 2005
Roasted more chocolate than coffee aroma with a slight piney hop aroma as well. Mostly opaque brown color with a gorgeous frothy light tannish-yellow head. Sweet, roasty chocolately start with a moderate amount of coffee (I still detect more chocolate). Finishes pretty hopped up with some PNW hoppiness. The hops are not overdone, which makes this beer very enjoyable.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
csbosox (1229) - Prairie Village, Kansas, USA - JAN 15, 2005
Tasted at the Jan. KC Bier Meisters meeting. Poured from a 12oz bottle. Black with light brown head. Coffee, bittersweet chocolate, sweet aroma. Roasty, malty flavors with coffee. Nice mouthfeel, but somewhat thin. One of the best beers of the night.