overall
Brewed by Rogue Ales
Style: Porter
Newport, Oregon USA

RATINGS: 2122   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.58   IBU: 54   EST. CALORIES: 153   ABV: 5.1%
Ruddy brown in color, a bittersweet balance of malt and hops with a light cream finish. Mocha Porter is made from Northwest Harrington and Klages; 135-165, 95-115, and 70-80 Crystal; Beeston Chocolate, Black, Munich and Carastan malts. Perle and Centennial hops.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
JoeM500 (1902) - Crown Point, Indiana, USA - SEP 30, 2002
A surprisingly light porter, although you’d never know by pouring it into a glass! Dark, dark brown with a small tan head that stays around a while. Nose is of chocolate mocha and grassy hops. Taste was rather light, also with more roasty notes in the nose than on the tastebuds. Still enjoyable and tasty. A good solid porter to introduce a friend to.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
Nuffield (3657) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - SEP 29, 2002
Caramel colored head, not exceedingly dense, but rich and gorgeous as it clung to the edges of the glass. I didn’t find as much in the aroma as I expected--almost a pale ale to me. Nor was there the depth of mocha-ness I thought a beer of this name deserved. So hoppy! A bit of coffee-like bitterness and some complementary flavors emerged in the 2nd half of it, but it still underwhelmed. (on tap, Flying Saucer, Addison, TX; thanks to Legion242 for buying this one!)

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Gusler (2653) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - SEP 29, 2002
First Rating: 9/7/2000 A tie for the number porter on my all time list, malts, hops, rich and robust, one of the very best beers made in any style.

Re-Rate 09/29/02 Dark as midnight on the pour, the head is light chocolate, the lace thick sheets that cling to the very end of the glass. Nose is malt, semi-sweet chocolate, a tad coffeeish. Front is sweet, the top is medium, the finish is nicely hopped, dry, moderately acidic, and still a decent porter that ranks in my top 25 porters. Ranks #289 on my current 1000 beer master list.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
jaymobrown (1644) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - SEP 28, 2002
Nice creamy thick head sits atop this dense chocolate colored brew. Dark roasted flavor. There’s a slight bitter or sour taste, but I can’t really put my finger on it. While good, I was expecting more complexity due to the list of ingredients. However, still an enjoyable porter.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Rockinout (966) - Kent, Ohio, USA - SEP 27, 2002
Roasty, bitter, coffee flavor. Rogue likes hops in everything I have tasted. Dark tan head, opaque body. Maybe a bit too carbonated.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
herbstress3 (221) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - SEP 25, 2002
Great representation of a porter. Perfect roasty coffee flavor. Makes me wish I could brew a pot of this every morning... No better way to start the morning.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
schm1005 (151) - Seattle, Washington, USA - SEP 25, 2002
Low aroma but a wonderful ale otherwise. Makes me want to sit in front of a fireplace and just soak in the mocha. Rich flavor and full body. Consistently a winner!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
GregClow (2847) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - SEP 25, 2002
Beautiful dark colour. Didn’t get much of a head, but the toasty aroma made up for that. Flavour is similar to the Shakespeare Stout, but with more coffee notes. Only complaint I had was that it was served to us too cold, but after letting it warm up for a while, it was a great brew.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
slinkymello (137) - Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA - SEP 24, 2002
This is my first rogue product and I was fairly impressed... a very stoutish porter really, with full malt flavor, roasted coffee, dark chocolate... not as dry as most porters tend to be, but not bad at all

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Under-age Drinker (96) - Colorado, USA - SEP 23, 2002
A deep dark appearance, almost stout-like, roasted like a campfire marsmellow. Goes well with my favorite baked snack cracker: Goldfish