overall

RATINGS: 1217   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.66   IBU: 110   EST. CALORIES: 345   ABV: 11.5%
An unfiltered and unrefined Barleywine. Intense, robust, malty and dark. The cognac of beers. A huge beer in a little bottle, this is a beer designed for sipping. Old Crustacean is brewed with eight ingredients, Great Western Harrington, Klages, Hugh Baird Carastan and Munich Malts, Chinook and Centennial Hops, free-range coastal water and PacMan yeast. Old Crustacean is best when aged for one year.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
EddieG (169) - Palos Heights, Illinois, USA - FEB 9, 2003
UPDATED: FEB 15, 2003 Impressive!!Teh beer pours a deep reddish brown and slightly tan head. The aroma is sweet with the smell of prunes and caramel. Right from the first sip you are hit with the taste of vanilla and maple. The hops are apparent yet balanced. The flavors remain well after your drink. One of hte better BW's that I have had in recent time. I rerated this one after having a second bottle. The second bottle was definately over-the-top hopped. Don't get me wrong, I love hops, all hops anywhere, but I find the experience of sipping 12 oz of Barleywine over a two hour period more enjoyable without needing chaser for the hops. Still highly recommended and I have 10 more cellared for later years when I believe this will begin to show its true colors.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Radek Kliber (6519) - Toronto (Can) Krotoszyn (Pol), POLAND - FEB 8, 2003
It had this very pleasant aroma of old pine forest that grows just south of Krotoszyn in Poland. Great barley, alcohol was so nicely blended with the whole package. I am really impressed ladies and gentlemen’s!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
ElGaucho (2222) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - FEB 4, 2003
2001- The guy at the liquor store suggested storing this for a couple of years, but after a couple of months, I couldn't wait. Bottled in '01, I figure it's been sitting for over a year anyway. Has the aroma of a port or cognac; you could swear this beer was brewed with tannins. Dark, murky reddish brown in appearance...small light brown head; mostly disappating (typical for barleywine). Flavor profile is a little more subdued than other barleywines I've had. Hops are readily apparent, but don't hit you over the head. There's nothing in the ingredients that suggests any fruit of the vine, but you would swear it's in there. This is the brew for somebody who loves a good port or cognac...in moderation. Excellent brew.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
stephen (308) - California, USA - FEB 2, 2003
2001 bottle. Hazy orange brown, small head. Aroma was sweet and winey. Flavor is bittersweet and slightly floral. A small red wine flavor lingers. Easy drinking for th emost part and a good night cap

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
belgianhomebrew (646) - Acworth, Georgia, USA - FEB 1, 2003
1998 - Slightly sweet malty aroma. The hops really hit you after the first sip. Another great brew for the hop lovers among us.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
3fourths (8103) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - JAN 30, 2003
UPDATED: JUN 25, 2013 Wow. 120 IBU’s, and it sure does get your tongue. A nice deep brown color, with a sweet aroma, almost like cherries, caramel, and roasted coffee. Taste is stinging and full, wood-like. Roasty. The bitterness is biting my tongue, but it finished very dry, a feature I enjoy. Overuse of hops... but someone had to do it... this one is nice... very young and spicy and stinging from the hoppiness, but after a few years it peaks and it’s wonderful.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
PrinceofNessus (236) - Norman, Oklahoma, USA - JAN 30, 2003
Lighter than I expected, a deep flavor, caramel comes through the strongest. The bitterness is marked, and enjoyed.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Prostman (1077) - Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 30, 2003
Holy hops! I mean I love hoppy beers but this was just too bitter. I almost burned my tongue....no just kidding but it did ruin my palate. Something to try once, but nothing to drink too often.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
sloth (2504) - Ceciltucky, Co., Maryland, USA - JAN 25, 2003
95 vintage Pulled one out of my cellar and dusted it off, been awhile.Slightest hiss upon opening of bottle.Poured smooth and real flat, no head to speak of.Nose of malt some woodiness and alcohol.Very hazy brown.The hop bitterness is still big though.Decent fruity hoppy flavors on a nice full body. Slick and mouth coating oilyness.The malt is coming through as it warms up, as does the alcohol.Also taste some mint and a slight pineyness. The alcohol is more evident now as is some oxydation. Still a warming brew.Shame, a little carbonation would have only added to this old girl.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
loweredsixth (946) - Clovis, California, USA - JAN 19, 2003
UPDATED: JAN 11, 2004 Rerate - 7/22/03:
I don't know why I thought this was too bitter. This time around it seems very delightful. It poured a deep garnet color, cloudy, with a small tan head. The aroma was of bitter hops, sweet cherries, malt, tea, and some kind of salted crackers. The flavor was full...hops bitterness...floral, alcohol, malty sweetness, tea, and tobacco. The feel is thick, syrupy, very crisp carbonation. In all, I really like this barley wine. Maybe I just wasn't mature enough before to rate this. The numbers reflect my most recent experience.

Original rating - 1/19/2003:
Intense hops bitterness flavor. The alcohol really doesn't come into the flavor until the beer has warmed a bit. This barley wine is a little too much for me. I would have liked to share the bottle with someone.