overall

RATINGS: 1220   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.66   IBU: 110   EST. CALORIES: 345   ABV: 11.5%
An unfiltered and unrefined Barleywine. Intense, robust, malty and dark. The cognac of beers. A huge beer in a little bottle, this is a beer designed for sipping. Old Crustacean is brewed with eight ingredients, Great Western Harrington, Klages, Hugh Baird Carastan and Munich Malts, Chinook and Centennial Hops, free-range coastal water and PacMan yeast. Old Crustacean is best when aged for one year.

AustinMilbarge (681) - Denver, Colorado, USA - FEB 12, 2003
Pours slow, dark, and thick. It was a little challenging to muster a head on this one, but it is there, creamy and off-white, slightly. I'm drinking this one as a nightcap, so I assume I'll be looking at the back of my eyelids in a matter of no time. Through my congested nose I smell hops and alcohol. Through my tired eyes I see a ruby haze, not unsimilar to dark iced tea. In my watering mouth I taste a malty blanket that sloughs off to make way for some hoppy bitterness which subsides leaving good old ethanol. It kind of feels like a film over the tongue at first that rolls off like water from a duck's back. Not nearly as hoppy as I would have expected coming from Rogue.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Brodie (540) - Blowing Rock, North Carolina, USA - FEB 11, 2003
2001 bottle. Rich caramel, malty aroma, I get very little hops in the nose. Little head, hazy ruby-brown color. Smooth bittersweet malt flavor with some spicy hops mixed in, and a bitter, piney hop finish. Some warming from the alcohol, but its not overbearing at all.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
GermanBrews76 (679) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - FEB 11, 2003
Intense and robust for sure! Rusty ruby body. Lots of yeast, some sediment. Bareley any head, but some existent throughout. TOTALLY fills the 120 IBU expectation. Clean up hoppy nose. Lots of alcohol, but well balanced. Relatively smooth, but with a great warming presense. Spice hints and cloves, a very complex finish, WHOLLY bitter!! A nice sweet dry grainy finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
EddieG (169) - Palos Heights, Illinois, USA - FEB 9, 2003
UPDATED: FEB 15, 2003 Impressive!!Teh beer pours a deep reddish brown and slightly tan head. The aroma is sweet with the smell of prunes and caramel. Right from the first sip you are hit with the taste of vanilla and maple. The hops are apparent yet balanced. The flavors remain well after your drink. One of hte better BW's that I have had in recent time. I rerated this one after having a second bottle. The second bottle was definately over-the-top hopped. Don't get me wrong, I love hops, all hops anywhere, but I find the experience of sipping 12 oz of Barleywine over a two hour period more enjoyable without needing chaser for the hops. Still highly recommended and I have 10 more cellared for later years when I believe this will begin to show its true colors.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Radek Kliber (6519) - Toronto (Can) Krotoszyn (Pol), POLAND - FEB 8, 2003
It had this very pleasant aroma of old pine forest that grows just south of Krotoszyn in Poland. Great barley, alcohol was so nicely blended with the whole package. I am really impressed ladies and gentlemen’s!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
ElGaucho (2240) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - FEB 4, 2003
2001- The guy at the liquor store suggested storing this for a couple of years, but after a couple of months, I couldn't wait. Bottled in '01, I figure it's been sitting for over a year anyway. Has the aroma of a port or cognac; you could swear this beer was brewed with tannins. Dark, murky reddish brown in appearance...small light brown head; mostly disappating (typical for barleywine). Flavor profile is a little more subdued than other barleywines I've had. Hops are readily apparent, but don't hit you over the head. There's nothing in the ingredients that suggests any fruit of the vine, but you would swear it's in there. This is the brew for somebody who loves a good port or cognac...in moderation. Excellent brew.

stephen (308) - California, USA - FEB 2, 2003
2001 bottle. Hazy orange brown, small head. Aroma was sweet and winey. Flavor is bittersweet and slightly floral. A small red wine flavor lingers. Easy drinking for th emost part and a good night cap

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
belgianhomebrew (646) - Acworth, Georgia, USA - FEB 1, 2003
1998 - Slightly sweet malty aroma. The hops really hit you after the first sip. Another great brew for the hop lovers among us.

3fourths (8238) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - JAN 30, 2003
UPDATED: JUN 25, 2013 Wow. 120 IBU’s, and it sure does get your tongue. A nice deep brown color, with a sweet aroma, almost like cherries, caramel, and roasted coffee. Taste is stinging and full, wood-like. Roasty. The bitterness is biting my tongue, but it finished very dry, a feature I enjoy. Overuse of hops... but someone had to do it... this one is nice... very young and spicy and stinging from the hoppiness, but after a few years it peaks and it’s wonderful.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
PrinceofNessus (236) - Norman, Oklahoma, USA - JAN 30, 2003
Lighter than I expected, a deep flavor, caramel comes through the strongest. The bitterness is marked, and enjoyed.