overall

RATINGS: 1235   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.66   SEASONAL: Series   IBU: 110   EST. CALORIES: 345   ABV: 11.5%
An unfiltered and unrefined Barleywine. Intense, robust, malty and dark. The cognac of beers. A huge beer in a little bottle, this is a beer designed for sipping. Old Crustacean is brewed with eight ingredients, Great Western Harrington, Klages, Hugh Baird Carastan and Munich Malts, Chinook and Centennial Hops, free-range coastal water and PacMan yeast. Old Crustacean is best when aged for one year.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
DrunkAsASkunk (847) - Lynnwood, Washington, USA - FEB 25, 2003
WOW!!!! What a beautiful beer this is!!!! Just beautiful! The aroma is pretty lifeless....cloves and florals lead way to apricot and malt. Faint aroma's, but the appearance is just mind boggling. It pours this murky, muddy, reddish, brown, ruby, slurry, mucky, messy colored thing with a huge tannish head upfront with little reddish dripplings which coat the head....WOW that looks so damn good! The taste redefines bitter as those hops mixtures batter the tongue in mid swallow and rid every last taste bud of sensation. A malty floral finish....super super dry...heavy malty, peachy, apricoty, resiny, syrupy, alcoholy, woody aftertaste. I like it...i LIKE it!!!! Very low carbonation level here, wonderful full, thick mouthfeel. Total mouth chaos here! Definitely worth another pick up and a cellaring, thats for sure.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Ida7999 (105) - Milford, Massachusetts, USA - FEB 22, 2003
- color of a coffee regular with a hint of reddish/orange, looks like mud as it pours, no head, aroma of alcohol, like brandy, a raisin/plum fruitiness; what a taste, highly hopped and bitter mixed with a ton of alcohol, could I start a fire with this??, for this style it is definitely over-hopped, reminds me a bit of cognac with the slight burning aftertaste, not terrible but not great either, gets better at the finish, definitely let this age for a few years

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
MrDick (351) - San Francisco, California, USA - FEB 20, 2003
1996 vintage on tap at the 2003 Toronado Barleywine Festival. 120 IBU, 26 Plato. As I drew the glass up to my nose, I was overwhelmed by the smell of roasted malt. Reminds me of the smell of wort after having boiled for an hour and filling the entire house with malt smells. And it tastes like it smells. But the malt and hops are not balanced as the hops overwhelms the malt flavors. Not my thing. But I'm bumping up my overall by -1- due to the impressive amount of hops.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
microdyke (360) - Portland, Oregon, USA - FEB 17, 2003
A dark amber color with a tan subtle frothy head. A whiskey aroma and hoppy. A strong alcohol and whiskey flavor with great hop bitterness. A dry finish and very warming. I agree with mfsw that it is one dimensional.

mwsf (360) - San Francisco, California, USA - FEB 16, 2003
On tap at the 2003 Toronado Barleywine Festival: Big bitter monster of a beer. Surprisingly that the bitterness is so strong after aging so long. Pretty one-dimensional.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
AustinMilbarge (681) - Denver, Colorado, USA - FEB 12, 2003
Pours slow, dark, and thick. It was a little challenging to muster a head on this one, but it is there, creamy and off-white, slightly. I'm drinking this one as a nightcap, so I assume I'll be looking at the back of my eyelids in a matter of no time. Through my congested nose I smell hops and alcohol. Through my tired eyes I see a ruby haze, not unsimilar to dark iced tea. In my watering mouth I taste a malty blanket that sloughs off to make way for some hoppy bitterness which subsides leaving good old ethanol. It kind of feels like a film over the tongue at first that rolls off like water from a duck's back. Not nearly as hoppy as I would have expected coming from Rogue.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Brodie (540) - Blowing Rock, North Carolina, USA - FEB 11, 2003
2001 bottle. Rich caramel, malty aroma, I get very little hops in the nose. Little head, hazy ruby-brown color. Smooth bittersweet malt flavor with some spicy hops mixed in, and a bitter, piney hop finish. Some warming from the alcohol, but its not overbearing at all.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
GermanBrews76 (679) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - FEB 11, 2003
Intense and robust for sure! Rusty ruby body. Lots of yeast, some sediment. Bareley any head, but some existent throughout. TOTALLY fills the 120 IBU expectation. Clean up hoppy nose. Lots of alcohol, but well balanced. Relatively smooth, but with a great warming presense. Spice hints and cloves, a very complex finish, WHOLLY bitter!! A nice sweet dry grainy finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
EddieG (169) - Palos Heights, Illinois, USA - FEB 9, 2003
UPDATED: FEB 15, 2003 Impressive!!Teh beer pours a deep reddish brown and slightly tan head. The aroma is sweet with the smell of prunes and caramel. Right from the first sip you are hit with the taste of vanilla and maple. The hops are apparent yet balanced. The flavors remain well after your drink. One of hte better BW's that I have had in recent time. I rerated this one after having a second bottle. The second bottle was definately over-the-top hopped. Don't get me wrong, I love hops, all hops anywhere, but I find the experience of sipping 12 oz of Barleywine over a two hour period more enjoyable without needing chaser for the hops. Still highly recommended and I have 10 more cellared for later years when I believe this will begin to show its true colors.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Radek Kliber (6594) - Toronto (Can) Krotoszyn (Pol), POLAND - FEB 8, 2003
It had this very pleasant aroma of old pine forest that grows just south of Krotoszyn in Poland. Great barley, alcohol was so nicely blended with the whole package. I am really impressed ladies and gentlemen’s!