RATINGS: 1249   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.66/5   SEASONAL: Series   IBU: 110   EST. CALORIES: 345   ABV: 11.5%
An unfiltered and unrefined Barleywine. Intense, robust, malty and dark. The cognac of beers. A huge beer in a little bottle, this is a beer designed for sipping. Old Crustacean is brewed with eight ingredients, Great Western Harrington, Klages, Hugh Baird Carastan and Munich Malts, Chinook and Centennial Hops, free-range coastal water and PacMan yeast. Old Crustacean is best when aged for one year.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
smoosh (536) - New Albany, Indiana, USA - MAR 7, 2003
1996 Draft: Deep caramel color. Malty nose. Quite complex. Hops have mellowed nicely and right into my taste range for barleywines. Excellent!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
Verne (263) - Enumclaw, Washington, USA - MAR 3, 2003
Good looking beer as good looking as it gets with zero head. Clear dark mahogany with a sweet aroma, a hint of cheery. A thick sweet beer but the intense hops and alcohol dry it out some. A bit harsh a good beer but needs some years to mellow out

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
BeaverBrown (245) - Portland, Oregon, USA - MAR 1, 2003
This beer was full bodied with a nice thick head that dissapated quickly. Thick brown color. Smells like candy. Kinda of tangy.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
Dougal (130) - Escondido, California, USA - FEB 27, 2003
This isn't on the Best Barleywine list for a reason. The color is beautiful, a tannish-amber mixture that looks like it will deliver a nice, sweet b-wine. Wrong! The nose is so floral that it sets of your cloy-alert. Into the mouth and begrudgingly down the throat. Way too hoppy. Over-hopped. This did not find the rogue in me at all. You can taste the alcohol which is never a good quality in a beer. Maybe age will give this guy some character.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
DrunkAsASkunk (847) - Lynnwood, Washington, USA - FEB 25, 2003
WOW!!!! What a beautiful beer this is!!!! Just beautiful! The aroma is pretty lifeless....cloves and florals lead way to apricot and malt. Faint aroma's, but the appearance is just mind boggling. It pours this murky, muddy, reddish, brown, ruby, slurry, mucky, messy colored thing with a huge tannish head upfront with little reddish dripplings which coat the head....WOW that looks so damn good! The taste redefines bitter as those hops mixtures batter the tongue in mid swallow and rid every last taste bud of sensation. A malty floral finish....super super dry...heavy malty, peachy, apricoty, resiny, syrupy, alcoholy, woody aftertaste. I like it...i LIKE it!!!! Very low carbonation level here, wonderful full, thick mouthfeel. Total mouth chaos here! Definitely worth another pick up and a cellaring, thats for sure.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Ida7999 (105) - Milford, Massachusetts, USA - FEB 22, 2003
- color of a coffee regular with a hint of reddish/orange, looks like mud as it pours, no head, aroma of alcohol, like brandy, a raisin/plum fruitiness; what a taste, highly hopped and bitter mixed with a ton of alcohol, could I start a fire with this??, for this style it is definitely over-hopped, reminds me a bit of cognac with the slight burning aftertaste, not terrible but not great either, gets better at the finish, definitely let this age for a few years

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
MrDick (351) - San Francisco, California, USA - FEB 20, 2003
1996 vintage on tap at the 2003 Toronado Barleywine Festival. 120 IBU, 26 Plato. As I drew the glass up to my nose, I was overwhelmed by the smell of roasted malt. Reminds me of the smell of wort after having boiled for an hour and filling the entire house with malt smells. And it tastes like it smells. But the malt and hops are not balanced as the hops overwhelms the malt flavors. Not my thing. But I'm bumping up my overall by -1- due to the impressive amount of hops.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
microdyke (360) - Portland, Oregon, USA - FEB 17, 2003
A dark amber color with a tan subtle frothy head. A whiskey aroma and hoppy. A strong alcohol and whiskey flavor with great hop bitterness. A dry finish and very warming. I agree with mfsw that it is one dimensional.

mwsf (360) - San Francisco, California, USA - FEB 16, 2003
On tap at the 2003 Toronado Barleywine Festival: Big bitter monster of a beer. Surprisingly that the bitterness is so strong after aging so long. Pretty one-dimensional.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
AustinMilbarge (681) - Denver, Colorado, USA - FEB 12, 2003
Pours slow, dark, and thick. It was a little challenging to muster a head on this one, but it is there, creamy and off-white, slightly. I'm drinking this one as a nightcap, so I assume I'll be looking at the back of my eyelids in a matter of no time. Through my congested nose I smell hops and alcohol. Through my tired eyes I see a ruby haze, not unsimilar to dark iced tea. In my watering mouth I taste a malty blanket that sloughs off to make way for some hoppy bitterness which subsides leaving good old ethanol. It kind of feels like a film over the tongue at first that rolls off like water from a duck's back. Not nearly as hoppy as I would have expected coming from Rogue.