RATINGS: 1249   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.66/5   SEASONAL: Series   IBU: 110   EST. CALORIES: 345   ABV: 11.5%
An unfiltered and unrefined Barleywine. Intense, robust, malty and dark. The cognac of beers. A huge beer in a little bottle, this is a beer designed for sipping. Old Crustacean is brewed with eight ingredients, Great Western Harrington, Klages, Hugh Baird Carastan and Munich Malts, Chinook and Centennial Hops, free-range coastal water and PacMan yeast. Old Crustacean is best when aged for one year.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
fly (1441) - austin, Tejas, Texas, USA - DEC 13, 2002
very much to my style and liking. rich malts with plenty of hops and strength in all. Glad I have one that I can cellar if I can just manage.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
MrRomero (1976) - Nolanville, USA - DEC 11, 2002
Bottled in 1999. Room temp. Thin dissipating head. Deep red, brown color. Malty nose and flavor. Dry finish. Strong alcohol bite. A nice product.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
kmeves (1098) - Mount Pleasant, Wisconsin, USA - DEC 4, 2002
Hoppier than most Barleywines (or at all of the Barleywines that I have dranken up to this point). Malty nose, sweet finish.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
mrkimchee (1414) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - DEC 4, 2002
it seems people love this beer or they’re iffy on it. I’m one of the lovers. ’98 bottling: pours deep, slightly hazy red. a thin ring of bubbles is all the head there is. aroma of slight herbs, berries(raspberries?) and chocolate. big flavours of raisins, more berries and brown sugar with a good dose of hops. not quite as hoppy as I remember the ’99 or ’00 being, mind you. still a very tasty brew.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Crit (3638) - Surrey, British Columbia, CANADA - DEC 4, 2002
UPDATED: APR 16, 2007 Dark brown in color. A bit of citrus in the nose. Some earthy malt with harsh alcohol heat. Not one of their better beers.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Kevbo99 (149) - Dunmore, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 1, 2002
I am a big fan of bitter beers so you can guess i liked this one. almost overwhelming bitterness. it was a bottle of 1997. i slowly began liking bitters by starting off drinking IPA’a and then moving to english bitters. If u love english bitters u will like this brew/ no doubt.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Drew (2411) - Kent, Ohio, USA - DEC 1, 2002
2001 bottle - sharp and harsh. The malts are roasty but sweet with a strong cherry flavor. The IBU is strong - 120 - but unsatisfying. Any hope of balance is gone - I would expect this in an IPA, but not barleywine. Call me unimpressed.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 5/20
WISEGUY572 (1377) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 1, 2002
Mine looked great, unlike the bottles of other reviewers ... clear reddish golden with a huge pumpkin colored, coffee colored head. Maybe too much of everything? Really sweet and fruity, kept in balance by being really, really hoppy. Really high in alcohol kept in balance by being really, really malty. With too much of everything I had expected it to be bigger on the palate than it was. At first I thought that I liked it, but could not say I loved it. Clearly there is indeed a point of diminishing returns on hops. 120 IBU is well past it. I thought about it and lowered my rating of the beer. I decided that the beer is much better than its taste. It’s well made and it’s an interesting idea. But I don’t enjoy drinking it. I did not finish the first one and I cannot imagine wanting another. In the end I’d probably go for something boring like a Heineken or a diet Coke instead.

PhillyBeer2112 (2678) - Oviedo, Florida, USA - NOV 26, 2002
120 IBU! Gooba! Strong fruity and resiny hop aroma. Deep dark red color with med tan head. Short retention, med lacing. Strong fruity and caramel malt sweetness up front. Some spicy and resiny hop flavors and a very strong puckering bitter finish. Yea, thats 120 IBUs. Super hopped, yet surprisingly balanced. Mandatory sipping.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
document (36) - USA - NOV 24, 2002
2000 bottling, opened just now. First sip -- whoa, this beer is awesome! It does indeed remind one of cognac. Highly aromatic. Large doses of the grapefruit rind in the finish, fronting a big pile of malt. In the mouth it’s bittersweet, with a feeling and aroma of thick honey to the sweetness. Alcohol stays hidden for about half the glass, then starts to come through. Out of the ordinary for a barley wine, and I want more.