overall

RATINGS: 1242   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.66   SEASONAL: Series   IBU: 110   EST. CALORIES: 345   ABV: 11.5%
An unfiltered and unrefined Barleywine. Intense, robust, malty and dark. The cognac of beers. A huge beer in a little bottle, this is a beer designed for sipping. Old Crustacean is brewed with eight ingredients, Great Western Harrington, Klages, Hugh Baird Carastan and Munich Malts, Chinook and Centennial Hops, free-range coastal water and PacMan yeast. Old Crustacean is best when aged for one year.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 5/20
WISEGUY572 (1374) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 1, 2002
Mine looked great, unlike the bottles of other reviewers ... clear reddish golden with a huge pumpkin colored, coffee colored head. Maybe too much of everything? Really sweet and fruity, kept in balance by being really, really hoppy. Really high in alcohol kept in balance by being really, really malty. With too much of everything I had expected it to be bigger on the palate than it was. At first I thought that I liked it, but could not say I loved it. Clearly there is indeed a point of diminishing returns on hops. 120 IBU is well past it. I thought about it and lowered my rating of the beer. I decided that the beer is much better than its taste. It’s well made and it’s an interesting idea. But I don’t enjoy drinking it. I did not finish the first one and I cannot imagine wanting another. In the end I’d probably go for something boring like a Heineken or a diet Coke instead.

PhillyBeer2112 (2641) - Oviedo, Florida, USA - NOV 26, 2002
120 IBU! Gooba! Strong fruity and resiny hop aroma. Deep dark red color with med tan head. Short retention, med lacing. Strong fruity and caramel malt sweetness up front. Some spicy and resiny hop flavors and a very strong puckering bitter finish. Yea, thats 120 IBUs. Super hopped, yet surprisingly balanced. Mandatory sipping.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
document (36) - USA - NOV 24, 2002
2000 bottling, opened just now. First sip -- whoa, this beer is awesome! It does indeed remind one of cognac. Highly aromatic. Large doses of the grapefruit rind in the finish, fronting a big pile of malt. In the mouth it’s bittersweet, with a feeling and aroma of thick honey to the sweetness. Alcohol stays hidden for about half the glass, then starts to come through. Out of the ordinary for a barley wine, and I want more.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 15/20
herbjones (742) - Orange, California, USA - NOV 22, 2002
Big malt nose with a solid hop foundation. Almost an overwhelming sweetness to this one. A little thin in the body.I think this could have stood some aging to mellow and balance everything out.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
DaSilky1 (2606) - San Diego, California, USA - NOV 22, 2002
UPDATED: FEB 22, 2003 1999 edition, sampled in 2002: Muddy brown lurking swampiness..
completely no head whatsoever..Cherry twizzler aroma with a shot of alcohol..
Cocoa covered alcohol balls..faint cherry..definite orange rind...warming..
Super hoppy finish with a creamy grapefruit rind aftertate
Re-Rate 2002 edition: fresh, hoppy, whoa goodness..uppin da shizzies..

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
mjmurphy2 (85) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - NOV 12, 2002
Smelled and tasted like it should have a big body but didn’t, ended up tasting watery as a result. Little head. Potent, mildly flavored. Hint of coffee-type esters?

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
PorterPounder (6214) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - NOV 8, 2002
Aroma of a fruit salad - very malty; appearance as murky brown as the Cuyahoga River in the ’70s before they cleaned it up. Flavor is that of sweet tobacco juice with fruit cocktail thrown in - bad way to describe it - but it is delicous and it hides the 10.5% alcohol well. Great late night - after dinner drink. Rogue comes through again!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
apoptosis (1317) - Denver, Colorado, USA - NOV 7, 2002
This is very different. And very, very potent. I taste a lot of chocolate and roasted malts. Not bad, but I will have to drink this very slowly.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
notalush (5351) - Denver, Colorado, USA - NOV 7, 2002
[1995 bottle] I was at the beer distributor today with the feeling that I’d like to try something new. I was searching among the shelves, staring at radom beers, most of which I’d never heard of before, when I saw this cute little 6.4 ounce bottle sitting by itself in front of a giant bottle of Corsendonk. ’How cute,’ I thought. I lived to regret that statement. This beer grabbed me by the tongue and slapped me around a bit, as if to say, ’who you callin’ cute, b--ch!’ There is a lot going on here. Chocolate, hops, malts. A lot of bittersweetness. I can see why they call it Old Crustacean; I think it would go great with seafood. This is robust and flavorful. Certainly a ’sipping’ beer.

bubslang (438) - Kentwood, Michigan, USA - NOV 6, 2002
Pours a murky brownish red, with small brown head, that disappears quickly. Alcohol is apparent but not in a bad way, malty with a lkot of hop action, some grapeftuit notes were coming through in the flavor, nice bitter finish, and a sure belly warmer, very nice