overall

RATINGS: 1230   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.66   SEASONAL: Series   IBU: 110   EST. CALORIES: 345   ABV: 11.5%
An unfiltered and unrefined Barleywine. Intense, robust, malty and dark. The cognac of beers. A huge beer in a little bottle, this is a beer designed for sipping. Old Crustacean is brewed with eight ingredients, Great Western Harrington, Klages, Hugh Baird Carastan and Munich Malts, Chinook and Centennial Hops, free-range coastal water and PacMan yeast. Old Crustacean is best when aged for one year.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Jokes (1453) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUN 10, 2002
This barley was, I guess, sufficient. It was not horrible, but certainly not my favorite. Roasted and burnt. Not all what I was expecting. Perhaps another time...

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
bbooth (115) - Gilbert, Arizona, USA - JUN 5, 2002
A decent Barley Wine. For some reason mine had no head to speak of (maybe a dirty glass). Alcholic/hoppy nose. Sweet malty start with a middle and finish were the bitterness really comes at you. Not my favorite Barley wine.

Andrew196 (1091) - Katy, Texas, USA - JUN 4, 2002
Thick head. Aroma of alcohol and yeast. Fruity taste with strong, but at the same time pleasant alcohol taste...weird...nice cascade-like hop finish. Probably the best barleywine I have had.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
AceOfHearts (1374) - Mountain View, California, USA - JUN 4, 2002
I bought this when travelling, for some reason I thought it had a high rating but I was wrong. It does have a cool red color which contrasts beautifully with the tan head. The aroma is malty and inviting. The downfall is the aftertaste, which is lingering and unpleasant.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Ringo (963) - Loveland, Colorado, USA - JUN 4, 2002
Not as good as some, better than others. I canít give an accurate review because I hadnít yet decided when the stupid little 7oz. bottle was finished. People who sell beer in 7oz bottles shouldnít be allowed to sell them for more than 99 cents, and definitely not over 2 bucks like this one. UPDATE: They now sell this in a 12 oz. bottle. My final answer: this is not as good as most of the heavy hitting barley wines out there. It is too bitter, not thick enough, and just does not have any outstanding characteristics.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
pivo (2612) - GERMANY - MAY 27, 2002
1995 (sampled 5/2002) - A powerful fruity nose (raspberries?) with chocolate tones. Opaque, muddy brown color (I poured the sediment from the bottle in the glass.). A bitter, dirty taste that is supported by loads of maltiness. Thick and syrupy. Very strong alcohol. Had this in 2002 (7 years old) and got the impression it was past its prime. Good stuff though!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
heykevin (1280) - Decorah, Iowa, USA - MAY 14, 2002
Bottled 1998, sampled 5/2002. Still amazingly hoppy. HOp flavor not particularly enjoyable either. Strong liquorice flavor and aroma. Harsh bitterness and alcohol flavor predominate. Not a particularly enjoyable drinking experience.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
estoppel (1028) - Buffalo, New York, USA - MAY 13, 2002
(1999 bottle, sampled 5/13/02) Some nice flavors underneath all the hops, but the bottle I had was too bitter to really enjoy them.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Toiletduck (20) - Philadelphia, USA - MAY 10, 2002
I was a little dissappointed with this little 6 oz. guy. I love barleywines, but the Rogue tasted more like a Stout, with a slightly burnt flavor. Furthermore, my bottle lacked the fruity finish normally associated with this brew style.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
BeerLimey (2154) - California, USA - APR 10, 2002
The label says 120 IBUís and I felt like I had to fasten my seatbelt before sipping on what seemed like it was going to be a train wreck. While the first couple of sips did rush to the back of the throat and unleash a citric hop bitterness it really wasnít as harsh as I had anticipated. A few swirls around the front of the palate reveal the secret to how 120 IBUís isnít as big as it seems. Thereís plenty of malt in this, thatís sugary with caramel and even chocolate. The malt however is sublime hiding behind the hops and although losing the fight striking a great balance. A world class brew for sure.