overall
Brewed by Rogue Ales
Style: Amber Ale
Newport, Oregon USA

RATINGS: 1694   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.48/5   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 44   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Rogue’s annual holiday offering, Santa’s Private Reserve, is a variation of the classic Saint Rogue Red, but with double the hops--including Chinook, and Centennial, and a mystery hop called Rudolph by head brewer John "more hops" Maier! This holiday elixir is brewed with two-row Harrington, Klages and Munich malts, along with Hugh Baird 30-37, Carastan 13-17, and Crystal 70-80 malts, plus free range coastal water and proprietary top-fermenting Pacman yeast.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Yankovitch333 (612) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - NOV 25, 2003
Pours a dark reddish brown with a thin tan head. Not much aroma, but perhaps my allergies are acting up. Very hoppy and bitter, but perhaps a bit bland for a seasonal brew. It's not exactly what I was expecting.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
guzzler67 (1653) - Hanover, Maryland, USA - NOV 23, 2003
Reddish brown appearance with a small head. Aroma is mostly hops with some citrus. Hops dominate the taste, too, along with a lot of carbonation. Bitter finish. Reminds me of some IIPA's.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
papajohn (1249) - San Diego (Mira Mesa), California, USA - NOV 21, 2003
Ruby burgandy color with an average tan head. Slightly sweet barley wine like nose. Sharp tangy dry stout like bitter taste overpowers the malt. There is a hint of grapefruit and a long dry lightly bitter aftertaste.Kinda weak palate. O.K but not great.

TChrome (1448) - Bedford, Texas, USA - NOV 21, 2003
Nice spicy, hoppy aroma. Beer pours attractive ruby red color with off white head that is dimishing. There is some lacing. Flavor is very hoppy and that strikes me just right. Akin to SN Celebration ale. Thank you Rogue!!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
LordHedgehog (144) - Westminster, Maryland, USA - NOV 21, 2003
Does a good job of balancing hops and malts, something not common in seasonal brews for some reason. I had trouble finding any reason to complain about this beer, but it just didn't reach out to me, either. Nice set of quality hops, and a good malty mouthfeel. Not the spicyness I was expecting from Santa, but Santa never did give me what I wanted anyway. Santa, if you're reading this, I still want that Radio Flyer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
smoosh (536) - New Albany, Indiana, USA - NOV 19, 2003
Bottle: I liked the aroma much more than the flavor. I'm not sure why I seem to continually forget that these Christmas beers are typically spicy and I don't like spicy beers - but I do constantly forget. Maybe I was hoping against hope and wanted to try something different. That said ... I did enjoy the malty, spicy aroma. Nice appearance - deep, deep amber with a long lasting and tiny-bubbled beige head. Flavor ... spicy. Overall, I've had ones I liked less, but it's not a repeater for me.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
BückDich (5464) - McCall, Idaho, USA - NOV 17, 2003
Light hazy brown tawny color with a nice sized lacing and head. Aroma is lightly hoppy a spicy. Flavor is well balances with a bittersweet finish. The mouthfeel is a little more sweet than usual, otherwise it's not too bad.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Sham (1844) - Seattle, Washington, USA - NOV 17, 2003
Pours a nice amber-red with foamy off white head and plenty of lacing. Lots of hops in the nose, some citrus, and sweet malt. Flavor starts with hops, then some malt, finishing off with some more hops. Very pleasing.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Braudog (6284) - Yorktown, Virginia, USA - NOV 16, 2003
Pured a beautiful dark red with airy toffee head. Light fruity aroma. The beer's flavor is surprisingly light, florally hopped, and well balanced. This is a yummy beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
JasonG (776) - Salt Lake City, Utah, USA - NOV 14, 2003
Draft: dark amber/brown color with a fluffy off white head that dissipates quickly but leaves some very nice lacing. Aroma is full of barley, very fresh, some caramel, and a hint of crisp hops. Flavor is also like liquid barley, a hint of malt, very bitter throughout, especially towards the finish. Palate is a bit too thin. Not a particularly well balanced brew, but it was crisp and fresh. It was good, but could have used something to balance out the bitterness IMO.