overall
Brewed by Rogue Ales
Style: Amber Ale
Newport, Oregon USA

RATINGS: 1654   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.48   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 44   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Rogue’s annual holiday offering, Santa’s Private Reserve, is a variation of the classic Saint Rogue Red, but with double the hops--including Chinook, and Centennial, and a mystery hop called Rudolph by head brewer John "more hops" Maier! This holiday elixir is brewed with two-row Harrington, Klages and Munich malts, along with Hugh Baird 30-37, Carastan 13-17, and Crystal 70-80 malts, plus free range coastal water and proprietary top-fermenting Pacman yeast.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
bowen008 (134) - Houston, Texas, USA - MAR 18, 2004
This is a good beer but not my favorite Rogue. Hoppy. A Christmas must have.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
cvillebeer (134) - Charlottesville, Virginia, USA - DEC 1, 2005
I haven’t had this in maybe two years- time to try again. Nice reddish-orange color with a decent but fading head. It smells malty, a little roasty and hoppy. It is full on the palate, but not like many winter-type ales which are too sweet for my taste. The flavor is pleasingly off-dry, with an underlying bitter finish that I like. I might like a little more fullness to the palate, thought not necessarily more sweet. A nice Christmas beer- hoppy, red, good.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
mpbro (132) - Stanford, California, USA - DEC 19, 2002
(18Dec2002--22oz bottle) Very good beer. Quite similar to Sierra Celebration. Coarse, creamy, (surprisingly) non-lacy, but persistent head and effervescence. Aromatic hops are the strong point of the beer, IMO. It just smells....kinda piney, but not cloyingly so. Heavily malty, lots of residual sweetness, and heavily bittered. Surprised to see only 6% ABV--this is a punchy beer. Not terribly subtle.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
ShawnMalloy (130) - Auburn, Massachusetts, USA - NOV 13, 2007
Cheers to Rogue for creating this extremely well balanced brew. The hops, malts, and spices are evened out to create a perfectly well rounded ale.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
stankenk (130) - Maplewood, Minnesota, USA - JUN 20, 2008
Pours an amber brown color with decent creamy tan head. The nose is a little on the hoppy side. Very malty with a slight touch of carmel has a light hop finish that tapers off.

scottyshades (130) - Parkland, Florida, Florida, USA - SEP 20, 2012
A: Pours a semi-transparent orange/amber color with a small eggshell color head. Retention is good enough S: Mellow malts, caramel, residual sugar (almost like priming sugar?), juniper berry!, and one or two other Christmas spices. Hops are earthy, spicy, and faintly citric (lemon). Pretty complex I guess, but a little too subtle for a better score T: Interesting flavor, very malt forward. Hops add some nice bitterness, a little citrus juice, and blend well with the spices. Juniper is definitely identifiable. MF/D: Light in body, slightly prickly carbonation, bitter/juniper finish. Drinkability is high, especially with the alcohol well hidden. Notes: Interesting beer, pairs well with food I have found. Rogue is usually really hit or miss with me, this one is a hit

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
shotgun1431 (128) - franklin furnace, Ohio, USA - JAN 13, 2011
I love the aroma. It reminded me a bit of eggnog at first. It pours red/amber with a lite tan head. I was expecting this to be sweet from the smell but the flavor is bitter hops with a touch of malt.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
rich42 (128) - USA - NOV 19, 2002
not bad - but not really what I look for in a winter ale. too hoppy and too sprucy for me. leaves my tongue feeling all oily. reminds me of their red ale. maybe I’m just a wimp who likes them soft and malty - but it’s not quite my thing.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Erdinger2003 (127) - West Union, Iowa, USA - DEC 13, 2007
Pours a regular head that falls away into a weak lacing with a little foam. Looks red to light brown in color and it’s fairly clear. The first scent is of sharp piney hops with a little fruity sweetness for an undertone. Bitter piney hops hits my mouth and throat attacking it, almost making me choke. Once I got used to it and let it warm up it gets better and in the end leaves a slight sweet, fruity taste on the palate.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
bruno1378 (126) - Epping, New Hampshire, USA - DEC 25, 2004
Pours nice, good head and color. Was a bit overhopped for my taste however.