overall
Brewed by Rogue Ales
Style: Stout
Newport, Oregon USA

RATINGS: 2217   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.86   IBU: 69   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Rogue’s Shakespeare Stout is ebony in color, a rich creamy head and a mellow chocolate aftertaste. It is made from Northwest Harrington, Crystal, and Chocolate malts, roasted barley and rolled oats, along with Cascade hop.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
badgerben (4396) - Blaine, Minnesota, USA - MAR 27, 2003
Different. Very malty, blackest hell. Not much coffee. I had higher expectations, but it is still very good.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Pjones6738 (500) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - MAR 27, 2003
UPDATED: JAN 21, 2004 Dark, with a long-lasting brown head. Didn't pour quite as thick as motor oil, but close. Coffee and a bit of chocolate in the aroma. The coffee flavor that I'd expected is nice and mellow. A touch of chocolate in there too. Hop bitterness overpowered the other flavors, unfortunately. If they tuned down the hops a little, this would be amazing. As it stands, its just pretty darn good. Rerate: Chat Room Tasting, Jan 2004. I'm actually very pleased with my original rating of this beer. Definately stand behind my thought that this is a little too hoppy. Thought about lowering it a point overall, but I'll let it stand, as its still a good beer that I'd be happy to drink almost any time.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
hotstuff (4072) - Indiana, USA - MAR 26, 2003
I am not a big fan of stouts that have a heavy coffee taste to them; however, this stout I liked because it has a very mild coffee taste to it.This is a stout that I would drink again.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
thedm (4935) - Fort Wayne, USA - MAR 25, 2003
UPDATED: JUN 4, 2003 This brew has a very strong roasted chocolaty aroma. The initial pour formed a small head of small dark brown bubbles. As the head died, it left a clinging vine lacing stubbornly letting go of the side of the glass. Its body is dark as midnight although some carbonation could be seen rising up the side of the glass. I eagerly await my initial taste. All of the stout ingredients are there in the taste, coffee, chocolate and roasted flavors greet my mouth as the first taste goes down and leaves a pleasant impression. Relatively smooth I thought and a bit more than I expected for a potentially good stout. No carbonation in the taste at all, no strong after bite and surprisingly smooth for a dark stout. A stout I can drink more of in a night and that says a lot right there.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
BeerPrince (1701) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - MAR 19, 2003
My bottle was labelled "Wild Irish Rogue" but it appears this is the same as Shakespeare Stout although I prefer the picture on my bottle. Anyways, body is black and produces a huge brown head with great lacing. Aroma is composed of floral notes and chocolate and roasted malts. Taste is smokey, with lots of choclate, coffee and roasted nuts. Slightly sweet as well but not sugary. Finish is smooth, bitter chewy. Reminds me of a weaker Rasputin.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Frank (2839) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAR 18, 2003
Very dark garnet black. Thick brown head. Tons of lace. This is easily better than Rogue's chocolate stout. None of the harsh bitterness. Roasty chocolately aroma. Mild cofee-like bitterness. A really tasty stout.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Shag (2603) - Chattanooga, Tennessee, USA - MAR 14, 2003
UPDATED: MAY 2, 2004 Appearance is black with a nice tan head. Flavor is quite hoppy. Taste is mainly coffee and bitter chocolate. Some dark fruit present if you focus hard enough. I detect no sweetness in this beer so Im curious as to why its a sweet stout? But its still a world class beer!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
jbrus (4992) - Delft, NETHERLANDS - MAR 10, 2003
Roasted and chocolat aroma. Black color, dark brown head, good lace. Medium body, chocolat and coffee flavors but also a hint of soap. Bitter finish. Not a bad Stout but I had better ones.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
bubslang (438) - Kentwood, Michigan, USA - MAR 5, 2003
Poured dark black with a nice dark brown head. nice roasted chocolate malt and hop aroma. taste is of roasted chocolate and coffee, with a nice bitter hop finish, yet the hops don't overwhelm the beer. creamy and smooth, a wonderful stout.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
erway (1004) - Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA - MAR 2, 2003
Pours with a deeep dark brown with a very nice tan head. Nose of chocolate and coffee. Very drinkable, almost too drinkable. A bit too smooth for me but a good stout overall.