overall
Brewed by Rogue Ales
Style: Stout
Newport, Oregon USA

RATINGS: 2223   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.86   IBU: 69   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Rogue’s Shakespeare Stout is ebony in color, a rich creamy head and a mellow chocolate aftertaste. It is made from Northwest Harrington, Crystal, and Chocolate malts, roasted barley and rolled oats, along with Cascade hop.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
goz (359) - Chelmsford, Massachusetts, USA - APR 9, 2003
Pours a deep black, with a creamy dark head, quickly dimishes to almost no lacing. Aroma is roasty, smoky, some chocolate, lightly hoppy (floral mostly). Flavor is strong with the chocolate and roasted malts (coffee), with a mild hops bitterness showing in the finish. Very smooth and creamy in the mouth.

dlclark (73) - Bloomington, Illinois, USA - APR 6, 2003
Not normally my style of beer but this one was very nice. It's so thick, you'll need something to wash it down with. Nice balance in the flavor.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Silphium (3167) - East Lansing, Michigan, USA - APR 3, 2003
A nice stout, although I prefer Rogue Chocolate Stout. Its chocolately, roasted, and somewhat dry flavor is finished by a hint of sweetness and lasting bitterness. Also a bit on the hoppy side. Not in the same class as my favorites in the style, Bells Kalamazoo Stout and Bells Double Cream Stout.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
chronictonic (473) - Oreland, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 1, 2003
Yummy big black stout from Rogue. Rich in flavor but not overpowering. Well balanced.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
jamdead (8) - Ashland, Ohio, USA - MAR 28, 2003 does not count
UPDATED: FEB 7, 2004 Pours a deep dark brown hue, with a tan head. Superb chocolate flavor, really solid malt profile with enough hops to keep things very balanced.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
snoot (286) - Anaheim, California, USA - MAR 28, 2003
Huge dark tan head, pours as black as midnight. I smell hints of coffee and malt in the aroma. Very smooth and drinkable, zero carbonation in the mouthfeel and heavy on the malt flavor. Maybe a hint of chocolate in the aftertaste.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
badgerben (4403) - Blaine, Minnesota, USA - MAR 27, 2003
Different. Very malty, blackest hell. Not much coffee. I had higher expectations, but it is still very good.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Pjones6738 (500) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - MAR 27, 2003
UPDATED: JAN 21, 2004 Dark, with a long-lasting brown head. Didn't pour quite as thick as motor oil, but close. Coffee and a bit of chocolate in the aroma. The coffee flavor that I'd expected is nice and mellow. A touch of chocolate in there too. Hop bitterness overpowered the other flavors, unfortunately. If they tuned down the hops a little, this would be amazing. As it stands, its just pretty darn good. Rerate: Chat Room Tasting, Jan 2004. I'm actually very pleased with my original rating of this beer. Definately stand behind my thought that this is a little too hoppy. Thought about lowering it a point overall, but I'll let it stand, as its still a good beer that I'd be happy to drink almost any time.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
hotstuff (4096) - Indiana, USA - MAR 26, 2003
I am not a big fan of stouts that have a heavy coffee taste to them; however, this stout I liked because it has a very mild coffee taste to it.This is a stout that I would drink again.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
thedm (4935) - Fort Wayne, USA - MAR 25, 2003
UPDATED: JUN 4, 2003 This brew has a very strong roasted chocolaty aroma. The initial pour formed a small head of small dark brown bubbles. As the head died, it left a clinging vine lacing stubbornly letting go of the side of the glass. Its body is dark as midnight although some carbonation could be seen rising up the side of the glass. I eagerly await my initial taste. All of the stout ingredients are there in the taste, coffee, chocolate and roasted flavors greet my mouth as the first taste goes down and leaves a pleasant impression. Relatively smooth I thought and a bit more than I expected for a potentially good stout. No carbonation in the taste at all, no strong after bite and surprisingly smooth for a dark stout. A stout I can drink more of in a night and that says a lot right there.