overall
Brewed by Rogue Ales
Style: Stout
Newport, Oregon USA

RATINGS: 2223   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.86   IBU: 69   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Rogue’s Shakespeare Stout is ebony in color, a rich creamy head and a mellow chocolate aftertaste. It is made from Northwest Harrington, Crystal, and Chocolate malts, roasted barley and rolled oats, along with Cascade hop.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
VAYankee (330) - Virginia, USA - FEB 21, 2003
A very dark appearance, without much of an aroma. This beer has a very entertaining aftertaste, sweet yet slightly dry. The more I have, the better the flavor.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
CapFlu (4523) - Victoria, British Columbia, CANADA - FEB 21, 2003
UPDATED: APR 19, 2004 (Bottle) Bottle says Rogue Wild Irish but I end up here with YOU! First of all, you look like a Patty Murphy staging of the Pirate of Penzance. Irishmen don't have mustaches' like that? Second, the mug you're holding ain't found in Oakes's "Glassware Guide' so I don't like you already; besides it looks like you're eyeing me up. That scares me. Upon pouring over the situation I now realize that you’re not a man after all are you – you’re a woman. No wonder you looked so yummy at the store. It was that guy standing in front of you. I’m sorry… I am. I now realize what originally drew me to you, I really like is your black skinned body... and that toffee coloured hair. That sweet smell… its… (sniff)… hmm… (sniff) coffee and… roasted malt. Odd scent for a woman, no? Can I touch my tongue to you? Where? No. I’ll start at the top. Those sweet, sweet flavours of your hidden places, my dear. I like. Try a little lower? Certainly, but I want to enjoy you slowly. Savour that taste. You are unique, aren’t you? No? Why the change in attitude? This bitter finish to what we have going isn’t going to put me off. I still want more of you. Is that it? Over so soon. Okay, if not you, I’ll find someone just like you at that same place I got you. And soon, thanks for the great time…

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
beerluvindave (194) - Canonsburg, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 17, 2003
UPDATED: FEB 26, 2003 Overall very well rounded. Very dark, rich, and must be fresh to appreciate! Coors Light it is NOT!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 8/20
21iceman40 (1731) - vienna, West Virginia, USA - FEB 15, 2003
I wasn't really impressed. I anticipated a complex combination of hops, malt and alcohol, but what I got was a complacent version of a great stout. This could be a winner, but its not, its kind of like the wild card whom you know will lose, yes they did make the playoffs but couldn't play with the big boys.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
BrianO (138) - Ambler, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 13, 2003
Jet black color with a nice tan head. Smells of chocolate malt. Good sweet flavor with tastes of roasted malt, coffee, and burnt chocolate with a semi-bitter finish. Excellent stout - one of Rogue's finest beers.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
WabashMan (1012) - Noblesville, Indiana, USA - FEB 11, 2003
Wow...I haven't had any stouts for a while, and so I chose to pick up this one. It is very much a delicious beer. Long, deep and bold in flavor, this is one I'll make SURE to purchase again.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
bender (293) - Reynoldsburg, Ohio, USA - FEB 10, 2003
Poured a opaque, dark, brown body. Huge tan head with lots of lacing.
Sour aroma comes out first with the hop/malt balancing the sour. Hoppiness in the aroma more apparent as beer warms.
Huge malty taste perfectly balanced by a nice kick of hops. Didn't really notice any sourness anywhere in the flavor. It was all malt for me.
Nice low carbonation kept the beer very drinkable.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
edden (926) - cow- lumbus, Ohio, USA - FEB 7, 2003
2/7/03: bottle, nice caramel colored milkshakie head. some lacing. deep, rich color that is pretty opaque. wonderful nose which includes lots of malt, sweetness and a hint of floral. lots of malt in the taste with some hops in the finish. other tastes included bitter, coffee and chocolate.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Inveigler (371) - Ferndale, Michigan, USA - FEB 4, 2003
Very very dark ... one of the darkest heads I have seen on a beer. Slightly sour vinious aroma with tons of raisins and malt mustiness. Flavor is very malty at first punch, but its the hops that keep your attention long after the swallow. Loads of roasted malts must have contributed to the bitterness. A little thin bodied for it's color. Overall a decent stout.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
DrunkAsASkunk (847) - Lynnwood, Washington, USA - FEB 1, 2003
This one poured a vile dead brown to light black in color with a tantalizingly creamy orange and brown head which laced throughout the enjoyment of this masterpiece. I drink therefore i am amazed!!!! Aroma's of roast, chocolate, mocha, coffee and nuts. The taste is fairly oily and thick...heavy malty sweetness, definite oat taste, heavy mocha and chocolate aftertaste with a dry bittering provided by the Cascades. This reminded me of sucking on a chocolate bar. Some darker fruits are visible right at the swallowing. Just a wonderful all around brew. Thick and tasty, yet only 22 ounces of this gem...ay...there's the rub!!!!