overall
Brewed by Rogue Ales
Style: Stout
Newport, Oregon USA

RATINGS: 2207   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.86   IBU: 69   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Rogue’s Shakespeare Stout is ebony in color, a rich creamy head and a mellow chocolate aftertaste. It is made from Northwest Harrington, Crystal, and Chocolate malts, roasted barley and rolled oats, along with Cascade hop.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
kwoeltje (2232) - Manchester, Missouri, USA - DEC 31, 2002
UPDATED: JUN 27, 2003 Smoky malt aroma. Khaki head. Fairly bitter, but hops balanced by roasted barley flavors with hints of coffee. I would have called it a porter if I hadn't seen the bottle.

JPDIPSO (4956) - Wauwatosa, Wisconsin, USA - DEC 30, 2002
Near balck opaque liquid with a thick dark tan head. Aroma of dark chocolate and mild coffee. Flavors of mocha, dark chocolate and coffee. Bitterness sensed from both the hops and the malt. Decent balance. Quite smooth on the palate.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Cartoonkhaki (1220) - Brantford, Ontario, CANADA - DEC 30, 2002
This is wierd I have a bottle of the Rogue Wild Irish Stout and it directs me here to Shakespears Stout.... I looked at the ingredients and they are both the same. So Here I am rating this brew. As Shakespear. THIS STOUT IS GREAT!!! It happens to be one of the finest Stouts I have ever tasted!!! I cant see through it when I hold it to the light. The head is a dark brown golden colour. With bitter coffee flavors. This is amazing stuff. I would recomend it!!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Suttree (5073) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - DEC 30, 2002
Yumtastic Stout here. Deep brown, almost black, and a sturdy, dark tan head. Coffee flavors dominate, but there is a persistant hop presence (It is a Rogue Beer, after all).

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
TheRimmer (483) - Florida, USA - DEC 28, 2002
This was almost EXACTLY like the sierra nevada stout. the only difference is that i couldn’t discern any chocolate. In fact the only thing I could taste was hops...nothing...but...hops. Not very "sweet stout" like at all. Not very stout like for that matter. But as I sat there drinking and playing guitar I couldnt think of anything really wrong with the beer. Washes voer your entire mouth and NEVER lets go.

Schroppfy (2360) - Łódż, Warsaw, Poland; Michigan, Ohio, USA - DEC 28, 2002
Certainly delicious and creamy. The roastiness is perfect, never out of hand. Nice hop bitternessas well.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
daboskabouter (1470) - Fergus, Ontario, CANADA - DEC 27, 2002
Black, thick brown head. Huge fresh roasted aroma, light chocolate, organic notes. Smooth mouthfeel, great intense bitter roasted flavor. Hop bitterness is uncovered in the palate, blends nicely with the bitter roastiness. Long finish. Great stout.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
JCW (1274) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - DEC 26, 2002
Smell and taste the bitterness of the roasted malts. Dark in color, with a bit of a coffee after taste. Good stout.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Sixpack595 (13) - USA - DEC 26, 2002
To be honest, I didn’t want to like this beer. Not a big fan of stouts, and wasn’t impressed with previous tastes of Rogue beers. Beer poured a nice deep black with lots of chunky tan head. Great lacing, and good head retention. Theres a definite hop aroma with a bit of malt and coffee. Taste is as the scent would suggest, but the hops get pushed back. Its a good thing its in a 22oz bottle, because it gets better as you go. Clean finish with a bitter, but thin aftertaste. I like it, I will be trying it again.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
urbnhautebourg (997) - Annapolis, Maryland, USA - DEC 23, 2002
Beautiful dark roasted grain and chocolate nose. Similar flavor--very dry. I got absolutely none of the piney hops I hear about here. And I thought that was exactly what was missing. Will try again, without fail.