overall
Brewed by Rogue Ales
Style: Stout
Newport, Oregon USA

RATINGS: 2239   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.86   IBU: 69   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Rogue’s Shakespeare Stout is ebony in color, a rich creamy head and a mellow chocolate aftertaste. It is made from Northwest Harrington, Crystal, and Chocolate malts, roasted barley and rolled oats, along with Cascade hop.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
bubslang (438) - Kentwood, Michigan, USA - MAR 5, 2003
Poured dark black with a nice dark brown head. nice roasted chocolate malt and hop aroma. taste is of roasted chocolate and coffee, with a nice bitter hop finish, yet the hops don't overwhelm the beer. creamy and smooth, a wonderful stout.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
erway (1004) - Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA - MAR 2, 2003
Pours with a deeep dark brown with a very nice tan head. Nose of chocolate and coffee. Very drinkable, almost too drinkable. A bit too smooth for me but a good stout overall.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Drinkingdan (371) - East Norriton, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 27, 2003
Nice black color and aroma. I thought it was very well balanced for a stout.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Wiseblood (700) - Clarksville, Tennessee, USA - FEB 25, 2003
Dark black ebony with small tan head. Creamy, but bitter chocolate flavor with a rich bite that lingers. Roasted flavors on the finish along with a full thick body make this very appealing. Excellent.

Ida7999 (105) - Milford, Massachusetts, USA - FEB 22, 2003
- black with a brown creamy head, roasted malt aroma, whiffs of chocolate and mocha, enticing and fresh; rich roasted flavor, creamy coffee and chocolate, flavor emanates in the mouth and on the tongue, taste ranges from sweet to bitter and slightly dry - one of the best sweet stouts around

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Nuffield (3711) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - FEB 22, 2003
I went in with low expectations, expecting another Rogue "overblown with hops" beer. Well, it was hoppy, providing a zing and a notable bitterness, but the first flavors were overwhelming: roasted, nutty, chocolate. Over time the hoppiness was more pronounced, but still this was compulsively drinkable. It got even better when I took a glass and added vanilla ice cream--WONDERFUL!!-- seemingly hazlenut-vanilla-mocha coffee with a mammoth fizzing head. The relatively high carbonation (making it a little bit suspect as a stout?) goes over extremely well in the "stout float" combination. Still, despite the carbonation, the palate is good, with a nice thick, oily body. Really good beer, though I could understand criticisms that it could do with fewer hops.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
VAYankee (332) - Virginia, USA - FEB 21, 2003
A very dark appearance, without much of an aroma. This beer has a very entertaining aftertaste, sweet yet slightly dry. The more I have, the better the flavor.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
CapFlu (4581) - Victoria, British Columbia, CANADA - FEB 21, 2003
UPDATED: APR 19, 2004 (Bottle) Bottle says Rogue Wild Irish but I end up here with YOU! First of all, you look like a Patty Murphy staging of the Pirate of Penzance. Irishmen don't have mustaches' like that? Second, the mug you're holding ain't found in Oakes's "Glassware Guide' so I don't like you already; besides it looks like you're eyeing me up. That scares me. Upon pouring over the situation I now realize that you’re not a man after all are you – you’re a woman. No wonder you looked so yummy at the store. It was that guy standing in front of you. I’m sorry… I am. I now realize what originally drew me to you, I really like is your black skinned body... and that toffee coloured hair. That sweet smell… its… (sniff)… hmm… (sniff) coffee and… roasted malt. Odd scent for a woman, no? Can I touch my tongue to you? Where? No. I’ll start at the top. Those sweet, sweet flavours of your hidden places, my dear. I like. Try a little lower? Certainly, but I want to enjoy you slowly. Savour that taste. You are unique, aren’t you? No? Why the change in attitude? This bitter finish to what we have going isn’t going to put me off. I still want more of you. Is that it? Over so soon. Okay, if not you, I’ll find someone just like you at that same place I got you. And soon, thanks for the great time…

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
beerluvindave (194) - Canonsburg, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 17, 2003
UPDATED: FEB 26, 2003 Overall very well rounded. Very dark, rich, and must be fresh to appreciate! Coors Light it is NOT!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 8/20
21iceman40 (1731) - vienna, West Virginia, USA - FEB 15, 2003
I wasn't really impressed. I anticipated a complex combination of hops, malt and alcohol, but what I got was a complacent version of a great stout. This could be a winner, but its not, its kind of like the wild card whom you know will lose, yes they did make the playoffs but couldn't play with the big boys.