overall
Brewed by Rogue Ales
Style: Stout
Newport, Oregon USA

RATINGS: 2214   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.86   IBU: 69   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Rogue’s Shakespeare Stout is ebony in color, a rich creamy head and a mellow chocolate aftertaste. It is made from Northwest Harrington, Crystal, and Chocolate malts, roasted barley and rolled oats, along with Cascade hop.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
drm49ers99 (4) - Portland, Oregon, USA - FEB 2, 2002 does not count

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Gregory (357) - Pullman, Washington, USA - JAN 31, 2002
wonderful beer, beautiful brown head, on a dark dark beer. I loved the flavor with chocolate, malty, and the right hops to give it a nice bitter touch. I tasted the coffee in the finish which was very enjoyable. Wonderful beer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
Ernest (6200) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - JAN 27, 2002
UPDATED: MAY 17, 2003 Head is initially average sized, frothy, brown, mostly diminishing. Body is opaque black, bottle conditioned. Aroma is moderately malty (chocolate, roasted grain), lightly hoppy (grapefruit). Flavor is moderately sweet, moderately acidic, lightly bitter. Finish is lightly sweet, moderately acidic, moderately bitter. Medium body, watery texture, lively carbonation, moderately astringent. If there's one thing I can't abide, it's a citric/sour stout. And this is one of them. The grapefruit in the otherwise simple aroma puts me off as well. Undrinkable to me, loved by many...hell if I know why. So be it with Old Rasputin, so be it with this one. Third review in two years, that's it for this one.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Brewmaster (168) - USA - JAN 27, 2002
I think most of Rogue beers are over-rated. Shakespear stout is not only the best from Rogue, ranks high on my favorites.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Pablo McStouthead (69) - L.A, California, USA - JAN 23, 2002
Nice one. The first time I had it I wasn’t too impressed but I think something I ate eariler messed up my taste. Tried again, was very good. Stay away from anything with sugars for at least an hour when drinking dry stouts!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
carlitos99 (184) - The Big Apple, USA - JAN 23, 2002

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
omhper (19333) - Tyresö, SWEDEN - JAN 21, 2002
Dark black powerful stout. Dry, almost harsh, with big bitterness.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
hennes (934) - Fountain, Michigan, USA - JAN 19, 2002
Good strong (coffee )roastiness and a healthy hop bitterness that doesnt annoy, but this is not the rich, complex brew I expected it to be.

rauchbier (3598) - Isle Of Beer, Lincolnshire, ENGLAND - JAN 18, 2002
Found this bottle in the bargin bin at a local store for only one english pound with a best before date of 01 07 2000, so didnt realy expect much. What a shock, poured it out and was bombarded by aromas of licorice, chocolate and coffee. The head quickly dissapeared, but the flavours in the beer soon made me forget that. Excellent mouthfeel and finish, altogether a very pleasant drink. Cannot understand why the store hadnt been able to shift the bottle for two years.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
CaboWabo99 (24) - USA - JAN 9, 2002
STOUT and gooooood. I like this beer even though I do not like most of the Rogue beers. Quality flavor and very rich indeed. It is a good winter time beer to drink.