overall
Brewed by Rogue Ales
Style: Stout
Newport, Oregon USA

RATINGS: 2308   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.86   IBU: 69   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Rogueís Shakespeare Stout is ebony in color, a rich creamy head and a mellow chocolate aftertaste. It is made from Northwest Harrington, Crystal, and Chocolate malts, roasted barley and rolled oats, along with Cascade hop.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
jskendzel (602) - Washington DC, USA - SEP 19, 2002
Incredible stout--lots of body and a great hop presence. The chocolate malts come through strong and are very pleasant. A little coffee too. I would love to drink more of this great, thick and rich stout.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Racegoer (353) - Indiana, Indiana, USA - SEP 14, 2002
Strong on the hops for a Stout, flavours of chocolate , bitter, and coffee .Prefer the Sam Smith, but this is a good choice too.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
morty99 (371) - Maryland, USA - SEP 12, 2002
I have always thought this beer to be overrated. Itís a decent stout with a great aroma, itís just not that easy to drink. A tad to hoppy of a stout for my tastes.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Brodie (540) - Blowing Rock, North Carolina, USA - SEP 10, 2002
Nothing special here. Simple, bitter stout with an aroma and flavor dominated by roasted barley. Not very complex, not very flavorful, and not very memorable.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
beerstop (173) - Roanoke, Virginia, USA - SEP 9, 2002
Iím going off memory here. Not one of my favorite stouts. Bitter and not as sweet when compared to my favorite, Sam Smiths Imperial Stout.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
hopscotch (10076) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - SEP 7, 2002
This beer rocks. The aroma is of toasted malt, dark chocolate, espresso and alcohol. Itís pitch black with a small, creamy, light brown head with excellent lacing. The flavor is moderately bitter (dark chocolate) and a touch sour. Not sweet at all. The mouthfeel is medium dry... as is the finish. Very fizzy. Interesting and delicious stout. I want another right now.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Jokes (1453) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - SEP 6, 2002
Black and thick. Darkest head I think Iíve ever seen. Nice roasted malts. Coffee, Chocolate, roasted cereals. Nice hoppiness in the finish. Bitter. Very nice. Something I could drink pretty often.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
notalush (5328) - Denver, Colorado, USA - SEP 3, 2002
The great aroma and dark color of this beer made me very excited to take a sip, but when I did, I was not as impressed as I thought I would be. It is a great stout, but itís a little on the bitter side. However, the pack I bought may have been old (it was on the beer distributors shelf collecting dust), so that may be a factor in this review. Not nearly as good as Victory Storm King Imperial Stout, or Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout, but still very good. Better than guinness anyway.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Beloved Beer (278) - California, USA - AUG 30, 2002
wow. I havenít had anything this dark in awhile. Wonderful stout. Great balance between many ingredients my palate is too amature to pick out.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
loweredsixth (946) - Clovis, California, USA - AUG 25, 2002
UPDATED: MAY 3, 2003 This is the most intense sweet stout I've ever tried. The color was somehow darker than black! Nice chewy stout with a heavy hops kick. WOW!