overall
Brewed by Rogue Ales
Style: Stout
Newport, Oregon USA

RATINGS: 2326   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.85   IBU: 69   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Rogue’s Shakespeare Stout is ebony in color, a rich creamy head and a mellow chocolate aftertaste. It is made from Northwest Harrington, Crystal, and Chocolate malts, roasted barley and rolled oats, along with Cascade hop.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
TheBeerCollector (633) - Woodstock, Georgia, USA - JUN 23, 2002
Opaque black with a brownish foamy head. If you like ’in your face’ dry stouts then this will become one of your favorites. From first sip to last the flavor hits you right between the eyes.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
PorterPounder (6306) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - JUN 21, 2002
UPDATED: MAR 17, 2003 Rerate - 3/16/03 - Must have had a bad bottle the 1st time. Exellent in all aspects this time - nice, caramel colored thick head - heavy lacing. Strong coffee aroma. Coffee and chocolate undertones - no chalkiness this time. Just the right amount of smokiness. Original rating - 3.2 - Bit of a smoky, almost chalky aftertaste - expected better from Rogue - but overall not bad for an American stout.

hoohoosdad99 (5) - Lock Haven, USA - JUN 20, 2002 does not count
This stout truly takes on a new character at different temperatures... the more it warmed the better it got.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
dankfor20 (193) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - JUN 20, 2002
if ya like stouts and a little hops this is a good try nice and flavorful a bit bitter yet smooth

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Gunshy (479) - Ohio, USA - JUN 19, 2002
I love the color of this beer. It has a nice head and enjoy the taste of it. A slight bitter tinge to it, but I feel that it adds to the overall flavor. Slightly creamy, without being to heavy.

MaxPower (961) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - JUN 17, 2002
Dark black rich and creamy. Rich chocalate flavor.Sweet with a hop bite. I love this killer stout.After drinking the another 22oz I had stashed in the fridge,I do believe this stout is the finest I have ever tasted. I have to give it a perfect rating.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
ludi (32) - Reston, Virginia, USA - JUN 15, 2002
Over-the-top head. Rich, chocolatey/coffee taste. Mouthfeel is on the thicker side. Very bitter finish. A bold, distinctive stout. The best domestic stout I’ve had.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
crdic (105) - California, USA - JUN 15, 2002
This stuff has the biggest head I’ve ever seen on anything. I poured a little of it into a 16 oz. glass (held tilted over to minimize the head), and the thick tan foam filled up the entire glass! That was sort of ridiculous. Once that settled down a bit, though, I was able to appreciate the impenetrable blackness of its appearance, the rich, chocolatey/coffee-like taste, and the warm, glowing finish. This is a first-rate stout, and one that I plan to drink again.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
Troobie99 (60) - Portland, Oregon, USA - JUN 6, 2002
Among the rich, indulgent stouts, this is the richest, most indulgent.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
bigal9699 (152) - Orange County, California, USA - JUN 3, 2002
Beautiful looking beer - dark as the night. Dark head, not creamy but carbonated. A fine brew with notes of burnt chocolate and pine - flavors are abundant, which I like. However, I would categorize this as a dry stout and not exaclty my cup of tea - since I like a bit more malt. A bit hoppy for my taste buds, the hops are really accentuated. I’m sure the hop-heads would rate it higher.