overall
Brewed by Rogue Ales
Style: Stout
Newport, Oregon USA

RATINGS: 2223   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.86   IBU: 69   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Rogue’s Shakespeare Stout is ebony in color, a rich creamy head and a mellow chocolate aftertaste. It is made from Northwest Harrington, Crystal, and Chocolate malts, roasted barley and rolled oats, along with Cascade hop.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Volgon (2763) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - JUL 5, 2001
UPDATED: APR 24, 2004 An excellent beer. I can't wait to try more Rogue's! I finished it 5 minutes ago and can still taste it.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
Dead Rex99 (19) - New Jersey, USA - JUN 27, 2001
One of the most overrated beers I have come across in 10 years.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
canary dog (655) - Rutland, Vermont, USA - JUN 14, 2001
What a hearty brew! This is the stout to drink when you are in the mood for a real stout, not watered down draft cans. Delicious and filling. Great with Italian food.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Got Stout? (173) - Wisconsin, USA - JUN 10, 2001
A brew worthy of drinking in large quantities. I loved it!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
BeerLimey (2154) - California, USA - MAY 24, 2001
UPDATED: DEC 27, 2003 Very dark and impressively foamy. Burnt coffee-like aroma, but especially PNW style hoppy at the same time. Hops dominate, almost in an IPA-ish kind of way at first, while the sweet roasted barley and chocolate follow in the second half. Aftertaste is dry and incredibly bitter for the style almost like a Sierra Pale ale. It mellows in the aftertaste which should be savored as the burnt mocha like notes come through. Further tatsing reveals nice creaminess. One of USA's best and most original beers.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
HighlanderOne (1009) - Bergen County, New Jersey, USA - MAY 21, 2001
UPDATED: MAY 20, 2003 Rerate 5/2003 -- Scored 4 bottles of this recently and enjoyed each more than the last.-- Actually, the beer I had was in a bottle titled 'Wild Irish Rogue". A bit of research revealed that this is the Shakespeare Stout in a different bottle for St. Patricks Day. Please alert me if I"m wrong. Anyway, this is by far the ugliest beer I"ve ever seen. It looks like it leached out of the ground at a toxic waste dump. It"s also one of the strangest. The flavor is overpowering, at first. After the first few sips, I was contemplating alternate uses for this stuff, such as cleaning the car engine or maybe sealing the driveway. But then the beer cast it"s spell on me and, to my disbelief, I happily drank the whole thing (I think the oatmeal did the trick). It"s not something I"d want to drink every day, but I enjoyed it. I"ll have to try some of the other Rogue offerings.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
wbdace (50) - los angeles, California, USA - MAY 17, 2001

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
shorlin (654) - St. John’s, Newfoundland, CANADA - APR 25, 2001
Black as black can be. So malty with a great long aftertaste. Oaty and creamy. It’s the kind of beer, after drinking which, you feel as if you should brush your teeth, but that’s a good thing.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
MikeF (538) - Cleveland, Ohio, USA - APR 20, 2001
I dont really like stouts, but this one has a lot of character.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
celticg99 (22) - Naperville, Illinois, USA - MAR 19, 2001
Ive only had it once since i am not from the west coast, but it is one the best beers i have had in a while