overall
Brewed by Rogue Ales
Style: Stout
Newport, Oregon USA

RATINGS: 2202   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.86   IBU: 69   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Rogueís Shakespeare Stout is ebony in color, a rich creamy head and a mellow chocolate aftertaste. It is made from Northwest Harrington, Crystal, and Chocolate malts, roasted barley and rolled oats, along with Cascade hop.

MaxPower (961) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - JUN 17, 2002
Dark black rich and creamy. Rich chocalate flavor.Sweet with a hop bite. I love this killer stout.After drinking the another 22oz I had stashed in the fridge,I do believe this stout is the finest I have ever tasted. I have to give it a perfect rating.

Ida7999 (105) - Milford, Massachusetts, USA - FEB 22, 2003
- black with a brown creamy head, roasted malt aroma, whiffs of chocolate and mocha, enticing and fresh; rich roasted flavor, creamy coffee and chocolate, flavor emanates in the mouth and on the tongue, taste ranges from sweet to bitter and slightly dry - one of the best sweet stouts around

Pigfoot (2268) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - APR 21, 2004
A classic if there ever was one. The color is an inky cloak of solemn black. Head is a thick, crusty, toasted brown. Aroma: supreme example of roast, rich and invigorating, potent and powerful, dry and dreamy, a snootful could rise old Yorick from his grave. Further gleanings give more flavors, of anise, espresso, pepper, chocolate. I could smell this all day and think of nothing better to do! On first taste, I am transported! Beautiful bitterness, lush malt, titanic texture! Thoroughly magical hop play on the palate, to make old Prospero proud, malt as dark and knotted as King Richard's heart. Every single time I have the pleasure to sip this fine ale, any wintry discontent is made glorious summer anon! I happily suffer a sea-change, into something rich and strange! I feel like the world's mine oyster...mmmm. oy-sters! From Shakespeare to Simpson, that's how even the best of beers will tranform us all! Plainly put, the bard of beers does somehow have that bewitching power o'er me, and I am mezmerized good, as I like it. And when the hurlyburly's done, I am left clamoring for more! I couldn't change a thing about this perfect potion. Some stouts may be more bold or brash in alcohol or flavor, but none is more perfectly integrated in all it's parts and easily drunk and thoroughly enjoyed. Truly, the stuff dreams are made of!

ojready (2) - Alexandria, Virginia, USA - AUG 11, 2004 does not count
Perfect beer! Dark, earthy stout with strong chocolate/coffee taste. Heavy aroma.

rogueminded (41) - Newport, Oregon, USA - NOV 22, 2004
UPDATED: JAN 14, 2005 Best stout Iíve EVER HAD!!! Pours black and smooth. You can drink it warm or cold and itís still good. Perfectly balanced and a nice nutty chocolate taste. The perfect stout. Your life will not be complete without this ale. John Maier exceeded the standards.

Honchoman (1) - Las Cruces, NM, New Mexico, USA - APR 13, 2005 does not count
this beer is awesome! i love the high ibu, and i cant wait to get my hands on a stone imperial sout(75 ibu)

MammothMan (8) - Dallas, Texas, USA - SEP 19, 2005 does not count
The pretentious name on the bottle can more than back up the flavor of the beer. The initial taste of the motor-oil black stout is unlike anything Iíve encountered; It is indescribably rapturous. The bottled version would suffer a few points for poor head and loss of flavor toward the end of the bottle. Rogue Shakespeare Stout on tap, however, is the greatest beer Iíve experienced.

gollitogarcia (11) - Texas, USA - AUG 12, 2006
This is a sweet black brew with a frothy, tan foam. It contains notes of coffee, and earthy, smoky woody taste. This full creamy bodied ale is highly recommeded. Consistent.

DeadGuyFrank (347) - http://westchesterbeer.com, USA - FEB 17, 2008
UPDATED: MAR 15, 2008 Super awesome stout! There I have said it, from the first moment I tasted this I knew it was just the stand-out beer that all the other beer lovers gushed about for so long. The definition of the stout style. Cascade hops and chocolate malt blend together into something so tasty I brings beer to level it should be - an artform. Solid and stouty - a gem.

joryoung (5) - Erlanger, Kentucky, USA - MAY 17, 2010 does not count
By far my new favorite!, I am a huge fan of Oatmeal stouts and this one takes the top, full body, thick feel, soft carbonation, coffee, nuts, vanilla, black, brown foam,