overall
Brewed by Rogue Ales
Style: Smoked
Newport, Oregon USA

RATINGS: 567   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.41   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Rogue Smoke is brewed with Great Western Harrington, Klages, Munich, Hugh Baird Crystal, Carastan (30-37 and 13-17), Chuck’s Alderwood Smoked Munich and Bamberg Beechwood Smoked malts; plus Perle and Saaz hops.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
whiteman1488 (18) - New York, USA - MAY 16, 2008
smoky and hoppy. I’ve never had a rauchbier before, but I was definately impressed with this one.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
Nisse666 (4211) - Göteborg, SWEDEN - MAR 5, 2010
Provdatum: 2009-07-04, Flaska 8 grader UTS: Grumligt frukt, istea, härlig skum krona som övergår till fint tapetserade gardiner. D: plommon, rökt fisk S: rök, rök (dessa gossar? kan sin sak) humletoner, ES: fin rök smak som håller i sig länge länge Detta var den bästa rökaren jag smakat! Systembolaget släpp en Rogue i veckan, eller vad sägs om en "Honey Orange Wheat"? Och släpp på alla bolag (Nordstan är inte världens roligaste ställe)! Passar bäst till: Grillat vildsvin Förslag på öltyp: Rökt öl

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 20/20
beerluvr199 (4) - Neptune City, New Jersey, USA - DEC 29, 2001 does not count
This is a great, no...the greatest smoked beer I have ever had! Tons of smoke and hops. Rogue is my favorite brewery...they can do no wrong!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
estoppel (1028) - Buffalo, New York, USA - JAN 11, 2003
Hazy amber, medium off-white head receding, smoky nose. Oh yeah - I love smoked beers. A bit of sweetness behind the smoke. A tiny bit of bitterness in the finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
doostinjcap (43) - Newport, Oregon, USA - MAR 16, 2005
UPDATED: APR 20, 2005 Absolutely THE BEST SMOKE ALE! John C. Maier’s liquid camp fire, AMAZING! Light thin head and golden in colour. Lingering finish! Possibly my favorite ale experienced to date.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
TheBeerLover (1025) - DC Metro Area, USA - JAN 28, 2006
Rogue Smoke is in fact and ale, and not a lager, so it really isn’t a traditional rauchbier, in that sense. The first time I sampled this beer, my experience with it was not a good one. The bottle was old and stale. I remember commenting at the time, "I don’t know what they are smoking at Rogue, but it is not the malt". Rogue turned me off by making this beer part of their X-Series and only marketed in 7 oz nip bottles, that were very over priced. They have since returned them to the 22 oz bottles as well, and I have easy access to this beer. I often pick up a 22oz bottle of this beer at my local good beer store for $3.50 a bottle. I recently sampled this beer fresh on draught at the brewery in Newport, OR and it was smoky and delicious. Having tried rauchbier at its source, and now sampling this beer, I am happy to say, while Rogue Smoke isn’t a traditional rauchbier, it is a very good take on the style, and is a very impressive beer. Rogue Smoke pours to a deep amber color with a nice white head, and a moderate carbonation. The nose on this beer is very inviting. Sooty, salty, smoky aromas flood the nose. Fresh, the smoke character is quite pungent in this beer. The palate is a firm malt base. Some nice estery fruit flavors marry with a touch of caramel malt flavor, and more smoked malt flavor. This beer finishes as smoky as it started, more salty, sooty malt flavors up front, and a very dry, salty finish. Hops are in this beer, but only to balance out the intense smoke flavors. Some nice hop bitterness can be found in the finish as well. This is a very good smoked beer in my opinion, a good showcase of rauch malt. I’m a traditionalist in many ways, so I would put this beer a step below authentic, stylistically accurate rauchbiers, which it is trying to emulate. This beer would go fantastic with grill and smoked meats, as well as smoked cheeses.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
poisoneddwarf (1714) - Rathdrum, Idaho, USA - JUN 14, 2012
4 oz sample at Rogue Brewers on the Bay yesterday. Pours hazy goldish amber with nice lace. Aroma and taste are all campfire smoke, smoked meats, delicious. Nice smoked beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
hanedwg99 (3) - Vancouver, Washington, USA - DEC 17, 2002 does not count
Very nice... yet rich not one for the chugging.... I traded a Jimi Hendrix tie-dye shirt for suposedly the last 16 oz. bottle of this beer. Still have it. The Governemnt made them put it in 8 oz. bottles shortly before I got the 16 oz. bottle... Name you price and we will talk.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
BuckeyeBoy (2715) - Boise, Idaho, USA - FEB 3, 2006
Brown color with a tanish head. Sweet body with some nice smoke. Tast GREAT. I picked this up in at the Brew Pub. Newport, OR

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
pauliefrog99 (302) - FLINT, Michigan, USA - MAR 15, 2002
Excellent smoke aroma and taste. Very low carbonation and head. A sipping beer. Good stuff.