overall
Brewed by Rogue Ales
Style: Smoked
Newport, Oregon USA

RATINGS: 706   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.9   IBU: 30   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
13 Ingredients: Briess Cherrywood Smoked Malt, Weyermann Beechwood Smoked Malt, House-smoked Hickory Malt, Great Western 2 Row, Munich, C15, C75 Malts; Applewood-Smoked Bacon, Pure Maple Flavoring, Rogue Micro Hopyard Revolution & Independent Hops, Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast Specs: 14¬ļ PLATO 30 IBU 76 AA 30¬ļ Lovibond World Class Package: 750ml painted bottle.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
Stldsf1 (616) - Florida, USA - JUN 28, 2012
Cloudy copper. Thin brown head. Maple syrup gives way to some bacon. Tastes of sugar wheat ( donut) obviously. Yeasts leaves early. Almost great. Missing something ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 8/20
shroud0fdoom (150) - Maryland, USA - JUN 28, 2012
Smells pleasant, smoked bacon, mild sweet maple syrup. Clear copper, thin white head. Taste was like a watered down version of the aroma, Bacon, sweet maple in the background. Hops come into play toward the finish. Overall I am new to smoked ales, this offering will be my last. Bacon is good with pancakes, not in beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
RolkaNation (141) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - JUN 26, 2012
Not as bad as many say while I do agree that the aroma cruelly lets one down upon first sip. Nose is great, as if youíre walking into a Waffle House at 2am. Clear notes of the bacon and maple. Taste is fairly one-dimensional as itís chock full oí smoke, but not really in a bacon-like way. A big smoke bomb and not much else, thin bodied. But still, I like smoked beers so I was ok with this. Great? No. Truly awful? Not at all. In the middle and, if anything, a couple of creativity points here. Very overpriced though.

1.4
   AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 2/20
marksan87 (1) - Florida, USA - JUN 25, 2012 does not count
The aroma is so inviting yet the actual beverage is disgusting. 11 bucks poured down my kitchen sink...=(

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
RollinHard (1024) - Fort Worth, Texas, USA - JUN 25, 2012
A comical beer experience for sure. Poured a reddish brown-orange color with a moderate beige head. Aroma is pure comedy, like smelling some syrup-drenched pancakes on the same plate as a bunch of sausage. Tastes fairly similar with the smokiness being nice and the maple being surprisingly sweet and dominant in flavor. Finished with a bit of hops and earthy bitterness. Medium bodied and easy enough to drink, but unremarkable in mouthfeel overall. I like smoke, bacon, and maple syrup so I found this a rather fun novelty. But my wife couldnít even stand the smell of it, let alone the taste!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
stephenj007 (108) - Houston, Texas, USA - JUN 24, 2012
So this was quite the dilema...should I rate this seriously as a "true beer" or more on a scale of an "experiment"? Well, it certainly is a beer...the body, and taste are actually there and quite noticeable...malt, a bit of hops, nice carbonation, but mostly sweet maple and brown sugar bacon. Yes, it does taste like beer amazingly enough, and the flavors are well blended and complementing. Maybe not a Dennyís Grand Slam, but I could certainly taste and smell the French Toast in the glass. For $15 a bottle, I donít think I will venture with this again. Yes, itís unique and "out there", but actually quite good and tasty...I have certainly had worse beers in my day! If youíre feeilng funky and need a change, give it a shot!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
NachlamSie (2764) - Denver, Colorado, USA - JUN 24, 2012
Bottle from Bruisiní. Pours a copper color with no real head. Aroma has some genuine bacon and loads of maple syrup. Flavor is a little smoke and bacon at first which is quickly and exponentially covered up by maple and sugar glaze. This beer could be so awesome but is hurt by the offensive sweetness. Everyone knows bacon > other foods(including maple). Those who say this is overpowering in the smoke and bacon department have no palate. I canít bring myself to hate this due to the little bacon flavor that is there, itís clean and well done as far as that goes, but I canít fully enjoy a serving either.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
OldGrowth (2663) - North Carolina, USA - JUN 24, 2012
bottle from Triangle Wine. Ok/good aroma, smokey sweet. big on smoke with maple sweetness. clean brownish orange, good head, little to no lace. Smoke flavor. Medium body, smooth mouthfeel, smokey finish. itís ok, bacon isnít really present, guess it sort of comes and goes with the smoke. Wouldnít drink alot of it, but had to try once...

0.9
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
RedMel (3) - Suwanee, Georgia, USA - JUN 23, 2012 does not count
This beer pours nicely. It has a nice amber color with a creamy head. The smell is smokey with a somewhat significant maple aroma. The flavor is quite abrupt. The smokiness and baconesque flavor really overpowers the beer causing the grotesque flavor to permeate your nose and palate. The flavor of the beer stays in your mouth, so there is no relief from the flavor. I could not finish the beer. I drank about a quarter of it (mostly holding my breath) and started to literally gag from the flavor. I have enjoyed several of Rogueís beers, but, this beer was a major mistake. It was a novel and innovative idea, but, the execution failed miserably as far as I am concerned.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
Shink (177) - Portland, Oregon, USA - JUN 23, 2012
Out of a sweet pink bottle. Pours cloudy with a small head. Smoky smell and taste without any hoppiness. Bacon flavor comes through and not really in a good way. Definitely glad I shared this with friends since I couldnít drink a 22 of this by myself.