overall
Brewed by Rogue Ales
Style: Smoked
Newport, Oregon USA

RATINGS: 698   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.9   IBU: 30   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
13 Ingredients: Briess Cherrywood Smoked Malt, Weyermann Beechwood Smoked Malt, House-smoked Hickory Malt, Great Western 2 Row, Munich, C15, C75 Malts; Applewood-Smoked Bacon, Pure Maple Flavoring, Rogue Micro Hopyard Revolution & Independent Hops, Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast Specs: 14º PLATO 30 IBU 76 AA 30º Lovibond World Class Package: 750ml painted bottle.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
MrFecesious (903) - British Columbia, CANADA - JAN 11, 2012
I admittedly don’t purchase rogue beers too often. In Canada, they’re way too expensive for the expected level of craft brew. This time, however, I bought it just to post my own opinion of a hyped up beer that I had low hopes for. In BC, Canada, this beer, of all those that have a "bacon" tag to it, is buzzing. And perhaps the buzz is because of the price of rogue suggest it HAS to be awesome. Not to mention the pepto-bottle. As well, I don’t "officially" review beer too often. But, WTFever Without further adieu... Pouring a bottle at about 10 degrees C, the aroma is very maple. Slight smoke. And faint nuttiness. The cap was frothy that vanished to a sad bukkake-like splattering. Beyond that, for a smoke beer, the colour of opaque orange/light amber is fine with me. I’d like a bit darker, but again... WTF do I know. I’m certainly not a brewer, let alone one of rogues calibre. Holy shit knocker. Every bit of aroma is smoked maple. The taste. Well. What a complete disappointment. Not that I figured it be more, but I didn’t think it’d be such a thin tasting concoction. Again, not sure why I thought that being such a novelty-type beer. Optimism, baby!!! The taste isn’t good. Palate is flat, as mentioned. Preceded by a faint smoked malt. I’m really trying to get bacon anything out of this. Just a minute saltiness to offset the sweetness. Can’t get maple in the flavour at all. Truly disappointing and really seems to be a beer that becomes whatever the consumer wants it to be. I get to have the second half still, so my wallet doesn’t actually feel the sodomy. Joy.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
48FanInCali (706) - California, USA - JAN 11, 2012
Wow. Interesting concept. Pour wasn’t bad and the nose was gimmicky but not too bad. I get the maple, smoke and malts. The taste,however, was AWFUL. It is not fit for man nor beast. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
JaBier (4730) - Capital City, Ohio, USA - JAN 11, 2012
Bottle shared by a friend on New Year’s Eve. Clear amber pour with a thin beige head. Super hammy aroma. It’s been my experience that beers that actually have bacon in them are less hamtastic than the ones strictly made with smoked malt, but that’s not the case with this one. Only getting the ridiculously hammy smoked character in the nose. Flavor is also hammy and smoky, but has a nice maple syrup accent to it.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Peacehammer (614) - California, USA - JAN 11, 2012
Nice easy amber pour. Strong aroma of pork fat. Which is to be expected. Very clear maple start, with an ashy meaty finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
seymour (1391) - Maplewood, Missouri, USA - JAN 9, 2012
MY 500th RATING; thank you gregwilsonstl! Tasted from large pink bottle into tulip glass. Poured a clear amber color, much lighter than expected, with a giant off-white head, somewhat lasting with a little lace. Massive smoke aroma, some bacon and maple. No noticeable hops or fruity pacman yeast esters/phenols. Tasted greasy, roasty, maple-y, bacon-y, sticky-sweet, and a little gross, probably just like the actual Voodoo doughnut on which it’s based. As such, Rogue once again accomplished exactly what they set out to do, even if it doesn’t always result in a classic beer. Very interesting, clever, funny, audacious concept. Glad I tried it, but it wasn’t delicious.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
VertBaconStrips (2060) - Assat, Alberta, CANADA - JAN 7, 2012
sigh..... nice clear light copper brew with some lasting foam...man, I sure hope there is no sediment in this - maybe it’s like Dave’s Chili beer where I’ll find a slice of bacon at the bottom of the bottle. No one has the aromatic seeking skills of my nose - it’s simply world class. Unlike other reviewers I noticed sweet maple, bacony smoke. Even with all of that ground breaking beer reviewing firsts, I also gotta say that it smells like a donut would if flavoured in this fashion. The taste is very similar with a welcome underlying weak bitterness that gives you something else to focus on for a second or two. Smooth, soft smoke similar to the fish smoker my uncle used to bring camping. Very sweet, not that much bacon but I do like this soothing smoke and a touch of roast as well, plenty of sweetness and yet there’s still a touch of tang and almost has a pseudo-chocolate basic flavouring. Smooth feel that leaves a chapstick-like coating in my mouth. Drinkable but why would you really keep drinking? I drank the entire bottle only because it cost me so damn much.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 1/20
dukeredhair (242) - California, USA - JAN 7, 2012
HOly crap this is awful! Aroma is Smoke. smoke, more smoke. Appearance is surprisingly yellow considering the smoke/ bacon idea. Taste is incredibly brutal smoke with a touch of maple on the back end but the smoke lingers and grows in intensity until it is simply overwhelming your mouth. Palate is oddly thin again, considering the ingredients but then it linger and lingers and won’t go away. Overall I dumped this after 2 sips, washed out my glass, and dove into the palate cleansers as fast as I could after this. Cool idea (great doughnut) really awful beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
wedgie9 (1824) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - JAN 3, 2012
Tasted on 1/3/11 from a capped 750mL bottle, thanks to my dad for this one. Pours a clear orange (although some people have sediment chunks at the bottom of their glass), with an average beige head that slowly recedes to thin, uneven lace. The nose is super intense smokey bacon with sweet maple, vanilla, and some caramel malt. The flavor is pretty well spot on, with doughy maple, smoked bacon, with touches of vanilla and caramel malt. The body is medium with average carbonation and a super long (I mean minutes later) maple and bacon finish. Although I don’t love this beer, it pretty much smells and tastes exactly like a maple bacon doughnut from Voodoo.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
SHIG (3541) - Wasilla, Alaska, USA - JAN 1, 2012
Bottle: Poured a reddish brown with no to little white bubbles. The aroma is sweet maple syrup and soft hints of smoke. Taste is sweet maple syrup with light smokey edges. I don’t know if I want to drink this or pour it on my pancakes! I didn’t get the bacon, but it definitely is an interesting beer I would like to try again!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
dogs01 (1) - Waratah, AUSTRALIA - JAN 1, 2012 does not count
Has a lovely dark colour with an incredible aroma. Slight bacon flavour that is calmed with a maple aftertaste. Could only drink 1 bottle of this per session.