overall
Brewed by Rogue Ales
Style: Smoked
Newport, Oregon USA

RATINGS: 722   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.9/5   IBU: 30   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
13 Ingredients: Briess Cherrywood Smoked Malt, Weyermann Beechwood Smoked Malt, House-smoked Hickory Malt, Great Western 2 Row, Munich, C15, C75 Malts; Applewood-Smoked Bacon, Pure Maple Flavoring, Rogue Micro Hopyard Revolution & Independent Hops, Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast Specs: 14¬ļ PLATO 30 IBU 76 AA 30¬ļ Lovibond World Class Package: 750ml painted bottle.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
hopscotch (10426) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - DEC 7, 2011
BottleÖ Hazy ruby/burnt-orange ale with a small, white head. Smells like a glazed doughnut smothered in maple syrup and crumbled bacon Ė very smoky bacon. Medium to full-bodied with tingly carbonation. The flavor is actually pretty well-balanced with a hint of smoky bacon drenched in maple syrup. Sufficient bitterness. Finishes coarse, dry and mildly bitter. Weird, but I dig it. Worthy of note: Iím the only person at this particular tasting that enjoyed it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
50belair (3163) - Florida, USA - DEC 7, 2011
Bottle. Clear burnt orange pour with a white head. Huge smokey nose. Seriously? What can I say, itís a bacon beer. I didnít get any doughnut.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
MikeMoriendi (72) - Boynton Beach, USA - DEC 5, 2011
It pours out a burnt copper color into my glass with a slightly off white head. I could start smelling it immediately after I opened the bottle and began pouring. I could smell the maple syrup without even putting my nose to the glass. When I did I get a ton of smoked bacon in the nose. The maple syrup is there too but you just get smacked in the face with the smoke. The taste is extremely sweet from the syrup. This is matched up with an equal overload of smoke. Itís sort of a mess but sort of works at the same time. I admit I couldnít finish the bottle. I got maybe 75% of the way through before I had to dump the rest. The relentless attack of sweetness and smoke was just too much. For a few hours I was really not sure what I thought of this beer. I kept going between thinking it was middle of the road to thinking it was awful. To be honest, Iím still not sure. It was absolutely unlike any beer Iíve ever had, even counting some really smokey beers Iíve had at tastings. I have never had the doughnut that this beer is modeled after but I have a feeling this beer in either way doesnít do it much justice. While yes it has the maple and bacon aspect a doughnut itself has a nice bready and sugary taste to it that the beer just doesnít carry.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
GodOfThunder (1247) - Orlando, Florida, USA - DEC 3, 2011
Thanks to SHIG! Really, I canít believe the reviews are so bad for this. Maple syrup dominates the nose, with a little smoke mixed in. Flavor is similar, but more smoke coming through. A slight ashiness, that isnít too offputting. I thought there was a nice balance between the sweet maple and the smoke. My complaint was I thought the base beer should have stood up to the maple and smoke a little more. Maybe, use a porter or stout. A little thin on the palate, too. It wasnít great, but certainly not awful, and I thought they accomplished exactly what they set out to do. It tasted like maple and bacon.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
jcwattsrugger (11752) - Florida and, New Jersey, USA - DEC 2, 2011
750 bottle-shared by SHIG-pours a white ring with hazy gold color. Aroma is maple syrup-light/medium malt. Taste is smokey, maple syrup-light/medium malt, molasses. 0 bacon.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
FROTHINGSLOSH (5969) - GREENSBURG, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 2, 2011
UPDATED: APR 3, 2012 From the 12/2011 3R6P tasting. I have to give points for inventiveness for this strange beer. +++ Sampled from a 22 oz bottle this beer poured a hazy caramel color with a small soapy white head that faded quickly and left no lacing. The aroma was sweet sugar, icing, wood, hickory and brown sugar. The flavor was dryish, woody and a bit smoky with a sweet glazed donut element and notes of maple, hickory and cinnamon sugar. Long complex finish. Medium body. Interesting.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
drowland (7375) - Georgia, USA - DEC 2, 2011
12/2/11. 22oz bottle thanks to stevencon! Hurray! Slightly hazy orange pour with a smalloff-white head thatís gone instantly. Before I even bring the glass up I can smell the artificial maple... pulling the glass to my nose I get huge artificial maple with an even bigger dose of disgusting, burnt, smokey aspects... itís like liquid smoke poured onto burnt boards. I actually donít mind the maple, but the smoke is horrifying. My God. The flavor has significantly less maple sweetness and a smack in the face of salty, smokey, burnt wood and bacon. The body is very light and the lingering flavor is more sweetness and burnt wood. This is a disaster. Horrible... canít finish my sample.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
drseusszb200 (687) - Florida, USA - NOV 30, 2011
snifter. smelled of acon smoke and strangely like sweet maple sausage. taste maple smoke and slight baconness, but a little thin. good beer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
lefossoyeur (531) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - NOV 28, 2011
Light amber with a thin white head. Aromas of artificial maple and lightly smoked bacon. Light to medium body, smoky ham in the mouthfeel finishing on this unpleasant artificial maple flavors. Really donít like this beer. Couldínt drink more than 3-4 sips. Unbearable.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
KAggie97 (3529) - Ugly, Hot, and Humid Spring, Texas, USA - NOV 27, 2011
UPDATED: AUG 13, 2012 Re-rate from second bottle purchased at Specís in Spring, TX.
First bottle from ericandersnavy. Thanks!
Pours a flat, thin syrupy amber with a nose of smoked bacon, maple syrup, donut cake, pancakes, and Pepto Bismol. Flavor is a breakfast of maple syrup, pancakes, smoked bacon, and Pepto Bismol. Kinda boozy in a medicinal way, with ashy notes in the finish. More notes of Pepto as it warms. Thin but lingering mouthfeel. This beer... What is it trying to be??? A smoked? A sweet ale? Whatever it wants to be, the Pepto essence detracts too much. Take that out and add more depth in the form of more roasted malt and/or chocolate (particularly a dark, sweet chocolate) and this beer is fantastic. As it is, itís an interesting experiement gone wrong that could be mistaken for liquid bismuth. If my poop is black the next day, Iíll know Iím on to something. Way overpriced ($13/750) for what it is. If it was $2, Iíd still be disappointed but at least Iíd only be out two sawbucks.