Rohrbach Imperial Scotch Ale

Rohrbach Imperial Scotch Ale
     click to upload

Serve in Thistle

RATINGS: 4   MEAN: 3.2/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.93   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
The unruly older brother of our most popular beer, Scotch Ale, the Imperial Scotch is limited to only 100 gallons! More malt, more sweetness, and more alcohol, the Imperial Scotch is still smooth and balanced which makes it drinkable, yet dangerous. When the temperature begins to drop below zero degrees Fahrenheit, the Imperial Scotch will keep you warm!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
shadey (1904) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - JAN 1, 2012
UPDATED: JAN 3, 2012 Tap at the brewery. I didn’t conduct a side-by-side comparison with the original, but I suspect that it wouldn’t change my opinion. The aging of this beer has changed the character but I’m not sure if it achieved the desired effect. The malts make themselves known immediately in the aroma. Sweet caramel malts and some stickiness. The body seems thin as it rolls over my tongue - but the alcohol is clearly there and warming (one of the stated goals). It is easy to drink, but not particularly complex or interesting. If the primary goal was to increase the alcohol and the warming effect for the winter months, than mission accomplished. If they also planned to increase the complexity or make a more interesting beer, than I think it falls flat.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Ron (2580) - Rochester, New York, USA - FEB 7, 2011
I called from work today and they told me they were on their last barrel and it was going fast, so I stopped on the way home for a glass. Poured orangish in color with very little head or lacing. Sweet malt aroma. Plenty of caramel,sugar in the flavor. Very malty. I had a sample of their regular scotch on the side and that was very weak in comparison. I was in a hurry so I drank fast and the alcohol hit me while on the road. Very warming.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
AskForJenny (1020) - Ontario, New York, USA - FEB 7, 2011
Sample at brewery - Yeasty, malty Belgian nose. Good orange color. Weight and mouthfeel was good. The palate was a big miss, some sort of vegetable/celery thing over the usual Scotch palate. Imperialing will not make a good beer better.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
jb (2227) - Rochester, New York, USA - FEB 2, 2011
This just came out last week and was available in 12oz or 6oz sizes (I believe). Very nice dark brown with faint orange/red highlights, nice head, it receded quickly. Nice nose, caramel, heavy malt and sugary notes. Very heavy sugar profile to this in the palate, somehow it does not overwhelm though. I really didn’t detect the alcohol, just a bit of warmth. Amazing to me given the content. A bit different then the regular scotch, My friend tried a sampler of that as a vertical tasting, I should have gone that approach to compare - next time!