Ruhlman Tavern Pale Ale

RATINGS: 4   MEAN: 1.95/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.43   IBU: 34   EST. CALORIES: 144   ABV: 4.8%
Brewed with 6 row & Munich malt and a small amount of chocolate malt to make An Extra Special Bitter in the British style that is a darker than your normal pale ale. Whole flower cascade hops used for bittering and aroma.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 6/20
Travlr (9999) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - DEC 1, 2013
Draft at the source. Cloudy deep amber brown color, massive cream colored head. Aroma of earthy bread dough. Taste is bready, biscuit dough, but also a bit medicinal. Not my favorite of the day.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
tugdriver7 (26) - Maryland, USA - MAR 23, 2013
Poured a somewhat opaque dark amber to brown in the glass. Large head that overflowed the glass and left rich lacing all the way down. Subtle hint of biscuity malt and a slight bitter hops in the nose. Ample carbonation at first, though it all settled down after a few sips. Initial flavor was fresh toasted malt, a hint of Belgian-like sour that faded quickly into a rich, bitter hops flavor (Saaz? Fuggles?). Definitly no "citrus" or "floral" flavors here. Overall, similar but not mild like an English bitter and not straightforward "sour" like some Belgians; rather a very unique earthy and somewhat spicy hops profile that, while difficult to put my finger on it, was quite pleasant and drinkable. Best of all, with hops grown on a local farm and brewed just a few minutes from my house, it was downright fresh tasting, drinkable and refreshing.

0.9
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 2/20
twindog (251) - Hampstead, Maryland, USA - SEP 24, 2012
Ok I do not mean to be so critical about this beer because it’s a local one and I want to support. But what the hell am I drinking right now I am so confusion on the color the taste the head Omg. I never had a pale ale thats so sour and tart it looks like am drinking a stout. The head that this beer makes is like someone put dish detergent in the dish washer. I gave a 3 for that palate because I can not get the yeast out my mouth. Also I gave a 2 on the appearance because it is a nice color.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
bigguns22 (585) - Maryland, USA - SEP 23, 2012
Pours with a large cream head I mean huge head had to let sit 3 to 5 mins before could drink. Color is dark brown and cloudy. Aroma is yeast,sour and bread notes. Flavor not my favorite ,it just is not to good.