overall

RATINGS: 101   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.54   IBU: 55   EST. CALORIES: 219   ABV: 7.3%
A dark hoppy beer without a traditional dark hoppy beer taste. Light roasted, chocolate malt transitions into a smooth finish with a hint of tangerine.
Formerly brewed at Sutter Buttes & Hermitage Brewing Company

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
MrChopin (3726) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - MAR 30, 2015
[ bottle ][ 1oz ][ @DC tasting ][ ? ][ mini tumbler ][ 02.15.15 ]
hazy sepia, thin white cap, oily. Light cardboard and oat nose, faintly metallic. Heavy roast bitterness and moderate acidity early, thin finish brings light paper and gummy sugar. Thin and sticky.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
danlo (1638) - Darlington, Durham, ENGLAND - JUN 27, 2015
355ml can. Pours black-brown in colour with a foamy off-white head leaving lots of lacing. Nose is liquorice, roast malt, fruity hop. Flavour of dark malt, toffee. chocolate & coffee, with some tangy grapefruity hop bitterness. Medium bodied, soft carbonation, dry bitter finish. Very drinkable BIPA.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
burg326 (4668) - Florida, USA - MAY 25, 2015
Poured a deep black color with aromas 9f roast and light hops. Flavors aromas are chocoate, roast, hops and a touch of citrus lots of malt, not as dank and hoppy as I prefer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
lightbias (303) - USA - MAR 18, 2015
Not necessarily the beer, but the brewer was recommended by a friend, so when I headed off to California, I knew I had to find a way to a little something from Ruhstaller. I found a handful of styles, but as I love a good black IPA, I knew this was the bottle I had to bring home. The cap on the bomber is pried away, and as I lift the bottle to my nose, I find a deep aroma of inky ash layered with fresh, ripe fruit over the top. I pour a dark umber liquid into my tulip glass and watch closely because the foam rises quickly with the pour. I adjust a little so that I don’t get all head, and bend to inhale as I top off the glass. The citrus is much more pronounced now and almost seems too bright, but then sweet oranges and peaches morph into an almost burnt roasted chocolate, still ashy, with somewhat of a bite. As I sip, I taste the hops; looming large over the malts and then smoothing into them rather than overcoming. The foam sits light on the surface, having given up trying to fight the medium body of the beer, and decorates it with lightweight, swirling islands of khaki. The carbonation is lively at first, but in a short time in a warm room, the buzz is gone and that’s okay. The flavor, taste and aroma hold their own. The palate is bitter, drying my mouth and biting a bit at the underside of my tongue, but quite enjoyable. The finish is a bit long, the dryness of the brew pulling me in over and over again for another swallow to wet my palate and refresh the experience. I’m intrigued now. I suppose I’ll have to get back to Sacramento for another Ruhstaller.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
drpimento (2482) - La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA - MAR 12, 2015
A gift from Jaimie; thanks man! Appearance is a colossal frothy, light, billowy tan head with lots of clingy lace and an opaque black brown color. Aroma is hop, light malt, and grain with a hint of roast. Flavor’s at first a touch soft with bitter coming on stronger and stronger. Not a lot of roast and mild malt flavor. Fairly dry. Body is good. Kind of an odd duck in that they’ve muted the hop & dark malt flavors.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
blipp (6974) - San Diego, California, USA - JUL 1, 2015
Can. Pours deep brown with a beige head. Grassy and floral hoppy bitterness, pronounced roasted and chocolate malts, moderate bitterness, light sweetness, and some lingering bitterness in the finish. Pretty good.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
AWISLguy (1762) - Wisconsin, USA - JUN 30, 2015
Bomber from Binnys in Highland Park with burlap cloth around the neck. Very dark brown pour with a tannish head. Aroma has black patent malts, rum raisin, pine and caramel. Taste is of sweet caramel, bitter malts, some pine and a bit of grape. Medium bodied. A touch of alcohol. Finishes sweet and bitter, a bit salty and a bit fruity. Quite a blend. Shrug? Not hoppy but interesting for style. 13.4

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
BOSSbrewer (2707) - Arkansas, USA - JUL 9, 2015
Bottle shared at Butler’s with Chris and Craig. Thanks so much, Craig. Pours very dark brown to black with one finger of head. Aroma is slight roast and mild happens. Drinks very smoothly with nice bitterness and nice roast without becoming harsh. Really nice version of the style.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
ration (2022) - Tampere, FINLAND - JUN 20, 2015
210615. ¨Can at home. Pours black with a nice head. Nice hoppy aroma with roasted malts. Some nuts and chocolate. A bit sweet. Not Bad.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Rasmus40 (13904) - Beder, Aarhus, DENMARK - JUN 3, 2015
Can from Alesbymail. Almost black with a light brown head. Aroma is sweet, malty, roasted malt and moderate hoppy - citrus and pine. Flavor is quite sweet and rather bitter. Dry and rather bitter finish. 030615