overall

RATINGS: 94   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.51   IBU: 55   EST. CALORIES: 219   ABV: 7.3%
A dark hoppy beer without a traditional dark hoppy beer taste. Light roasted, chocolate malt transitions into a smooth finish with a hint of tangerine.
Formerly brewed at Sutter Buttes & Hermitage Brewing Company

Fatehunter's rating

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Fatehunter (1526) - Corbett, Oregon, USA - JAN 21, 2013
Thin head on a pitch black body. The aroma dances between lemon and grapefruit to honey. The taste starts with honey sweetness, then pine bitterness, finishes with a lemon bite. The sweetness at the beginning is great. The texture has a softness with moderate carbonation and medium body. This is a great BIPA.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
MrChopin (3575) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - MAR 30, 2015
[ bottle ][ 1oz ][ @DC tasting ][ ? ][ mini tumbler ][ 02.15.15 ]
hazy sepia, thin white cap, oily. Light cardboard and oat nose, faintly metallic. Heavy roast bitterness and moderate acidity early, thin finish brings light paper and gummy sugar. Thin and sticky.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
lightbias (244) - USA - MAR 18, 2015
Not necessarily the beer, but the brewer was recommended by a friend, so when I headed off to California, I knew I had to find a way to a little something from Ruhstaller. I found a handful of styles, but as I love a good black IPA, I knew this was the bottle I had to bring home. The cap on the bomber is pried away, and as I lift the bottle to my nose, I find a deep aroma of inky ash layered with fresh, ripe fruit over the top. I pour a dark umber liquid into my tulip glass and watch closely because the foam rises quickly with the pour. I adjust a little so that I don’t get all head, and bend to inhale as I top off the glass. The citrus is much more pronounced now and almost seems too bright, but then sweet oranges and peaches morph into an almost burnt roasted chocolate, still ashy, with somewhat of a bite. As I sip, I taste the hops; looming large over the malts and then smoothing into them rather than overcoming. The foam sits light on the surface, having given up trying to fight the medium body of the beer, and decorates it with lightweight, swirling islands of khaki. The carbonation is lively at first, but in a short time in a warm room, the buzz is gone and that’s okay. The flavor, taste and aroma hold their own. The palate is bitter, drying my mouth and biting a bit at the underside of my tongue, but quite enjoyable. The finish is a bit long, the dryness of the brew pulling me in over and over again for another swallow to wet my palate and refresh the experience. I’m intrigued now. I suppose I’ll have to get back to Sacramento for another Ruhstaller.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
drpimento (2395) - La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA - MAR 12, 2015
A gift from Jaimie; thanks man! Appearance is a colossal frothy, light, billowy tan head with lots of clingy lace and an opaque black brown color. Aroma is hop, light malt, and grain with a hint of roast. Flavor’s at first a touch soft with bitter coming on stronger and stronger. Not a lot of roast and mild malt flavor. Fairly dry. Body is good. Kind of an odd duck in that they’ve muted the hop & dark malt flavors.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
TBone (13536) - Pori, FINLAND - MAR 11, 2015
Can 330ml (AbM)
Very dark brown/ruby color, steady beige head, some lace. Bready, toasted flavor with some citrus. Medium-bodied. Bready toasted flavor. Piney hoppyness in the finish. Light licorice too. Clean and pleasant, perharps a bit sweet CDA.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Strykzone (5342) - Wood River, Illinois, USA - MAR 3, 2015
Bomber. A big beige head that just seems to sit there without falling. Mostly roasted notes in the aroma but a little fruit. That describes the flavor, too. Add in a little earth and something like oats. Caramel underneath and a hint of black licorice. This is as easy drinking a black IPA as I have had. I was hoping for more of a hop splash.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Fritz123 (1272) - Boca Raton, Florida, USA - FEB 25, 2015
Bottle from the Syb Pig in Boca. Pours a dark black with a somewhat decent head and lacing. Aroma is piney hops and roasted malts. The taste was NOT what I was expecting. It was like a porter with roasted malts and a splash of hops. Dark chocolate notes were OK. But I was not expecting what I got in my snifter. Finish was round and uneventful. It was OK, but not really what I wanted.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
luttonm (2906) - Seattle, Washington, USA - FEB 17, 2015
Bottle at Brony Tasting, DC. Brown, small bubbles. Yeasty, green hops. Pale dark malts, hops and soft bitter. Ok.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
solidfunk (4888) - Washington D.C., Washington DC, USA - FEB 15, 2015
Mostly stout with some hops. Dark brown pour. Bitter finish. Good balance. Creamy consistency. Bottle.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Travlr (14702) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - FEB 15, 2015
Bottle. Clear brown color. Aroma of herbal cocoa and licorice. Taste is malty coffee and chocolate.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
kraddel (4379) - some beerplace, BELGIUM - FEB 15, 2015
Pours dark brown, quite unclear . Smell is dark grains, slightly roasted, some sweet aspect . Taste is bitter, dark malts , chocolate notes in the very back . Slightly metallic as well .