overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 658   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.11/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Although we enjoyed aging Batch #1 in used La Folie barrels from New Belgium Brewery, one of which was the renowned PH1 barrel, Batch #2 is something completely different. After a trip to Belgium in 2006, Vinnie successfully tried his hand at spontaneous fermentation using traditional, and not so traditional, Lambic methods. Out of respect for our Belgian brewing friends, we call this style “Sonambic”, a portmanteau between Sonoma and Lambic.

We stole this term from our friend Brian Hunt at Moonlight, our local farmhouse brewery. In 2007, we executed a second spontaneous fermentation, making yet another batch of Sonambic. This year, we blended those two batches to create our second bottling of Beatification which we are very excited about! Batch #2 has a big grapefruit aroma and grapefruit rind flavor with funky Brettanomyces and a tart finish.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
RIXbeer (102) - USA - NOV 28, 2008
Thanks to Deepsouth (BA)! No seriously, great trade!!! Hazy orange-straw colored with a cardboard thin head that fades completely. Farm fresh funk with a oaky nose normally found in cabernets. Smells much like a gueze but more earthy. OMG->Tart and sour like a sour patch kid but with an underlining sweetness. There is a hint of fruit somewhere in here but I can’t place it. Damn this is good! Sour with a carbonated dry finish that leaves the palate begging for more! This is one of the most drinkable beers I’ve ever had! I wish I had a case of this stuff. I’d spend the weekend taunting my friends with it. Russian River knows how to sour a beer just right! A+

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
bradlyc77 (226) - Sebastopol, California, USA - NOV 20, 2008
Great blond color. Definite brett funk, with overtones of grapefruit/citrus. Pretty acidic and tart. Pretty good for a sour beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
durhambeer (2500) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - OCT 31, 2008
Holy moly, this is good. More like a gueuze than expected, though fuller and richer. I’m not sure I have the vocabulary to say much more than that. But bretty, tart, citrusy and delicious. Gold, very slightly hazy pour with minimal bubbly head. A great sour, to be sure.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
joergen (25286) - Frederiksberg, DENMARK - OCT 31, 2008
Bottle, thanks to Ambassador for sharing. Hazy yellow coloured with a medium sized white head. Fruityand light acidic aroma of wood and brett with notes of blue cheese and vanilla. Light acidic flavour of wood, brett and vanilla. Tart finish of wood and brett.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Cobra (1100) - - OCT 28, 2008
375 ml champagne split bottle. Corked and caged. Poured out golden straw color, same color as Miller. Subdued carbonation, slightly fizzy. Aromas are of wine barrels, pink grapefruit, sour and acidic. Flavors are of pink grapefruit rind, wine barrels, citric acid, some funky yeast. Medium mouthfeel, rich for a sour ale. Thick and coating on the tongue. Bitter aftertaste, like when you eat the pith from grapefruit rind. Pretty decent beer overall.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
TheEpeeist (3709) - Media, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 27, 2008
12.7 oz bottle. Fogged yellow brown with a white bubbly ring. Nose is lemon, apricot and funky honey. Sharply tart and sour, almost straight lemon juice and peel with a hint of unripe peach sweetness. Long dry finish trails off nicely.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
timfoolery (1126) - California, USA - OCT 25, 2008
UPDATED: OCT 20, 2012 Batch 003...Bottle from Monument in Concord. We’ve heald this for 5 or so months. I expected it to age nicely. As it turns out, this one was the sourest of them all. Pucker up and be ready for an excellent palate, light winey flavor, and dry finish. Batch 005 (011012)...so much better than batch 003. Sour grapefruit and mandarin orange aroma and flavor. Palate was excellent, considering this one is straight up like a Warhead candy, super sour. Flavor comes out clean and is still very drinkable. Excellent beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
eaglefan538 (3012) - Wilmington, Delaware, USA - OCT 23, 2008
Bottle shared by sloth, a very nice young man indeed. The pour was hazy amber-straw colored with very thin faint head that dissipated into about nothing. Aroma was strong leather, funk, horseblankets, citrus, wood, and hay. The flavor was whamo, darned puckered up little sucker, lambic-like. Along with all the aroma flavors, tart and sour base beer with strong citrus, white grapes, and fruity elements. Mouthfeel is acidic and clean, moderate body for the style, light overall. A very big thanks to my buddy, Bert!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
hopdog (10910) - Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 15, 2008
Big thanks to FlacoAlto for sending this off my wish list (as an Extra too!!!). Poured a medium and hazy golden color with a smaller sized head. Aromas of brett, somewhat funky, citrus, some vanilla, and wood. Tastes of wood, citrus, grapes, green apples, citrus, and sour. This one was nice and sour and tart. I like my sours to be sour and this one did not dissapoint!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
valpoaj (707) - Valparaiso, Indiana, USA - OCT 12, 2008
Bottle courtesy Taverner - thanks! Pours medium gold with a very thin white head that dissipates quickly. Aroma is a 10 out of 10 on the funky scale...this one definitely had that ’barnyard’ quality amped up. However, I found it overly funky...so much that it overwhelmed any other qualities this one might have had going for it...interesting nevertheless. Flavor is damn sour...some woody notes and a bit of lemon in there, but I really had to work to pick these out. Becomes more pleasant as it warms close to room temp. This one was definitely a slow sipper and causes some puckering after each drink. Very interesting beer, but I’ve had other sours with more dimension, and the sheer intensity of this was a bit too much for my palate. If you want some serious sour, head here!