Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 667   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.11/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Although we enjoyed aging Batch #1 in used La Folie barrels from New Belgium Brewery, one of which was the renowned PH1 barrel, Batch #2 is something completely different. After a trip to Belgium in 2006, Vinnie successfully tried his hand at spontaneous fermentation using traditional, and not so traditional, Lambic methods. Out of respect for our Belgian brewing friends, we call this style “Sonambic”, a portmanteau between Sonoma and Lambic.

We stole this term from our friend Brian Hunt at Moonlight, our local farmhouse brewery. In 2007, we executed a second spontaneous fermentation, making yet another batch of Sonambic. This year, we blended those two batches to create our second bottling of Beatification which we are very excited about! Batch #2 has a big grapefruit aroma and grapefruit rind flavor with funky Brettanomyces and a tart finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Juelze (1144) - Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA - DEC 23, 2008
Thanks to my brother for sharing this!!! Pours a very orangish color, almost like diluted Tang. Aroma is very tart with notes of must, yeast, grapefruit. Taste is tart grapefruit rind, must, grapefruit juice and the funk (just ask Old Gregg). Finishes with some moderate carbonation and some tart and citric notes. Solid!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Petrucci914 (910) - Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA - DEC 23, 2008
Thannks to TheCheeseMan! Pours a yellow-tinged golden color with some small particulate and a thin foamy white head. Aroma is intense grapefruit with some tart lambic funk. Taste is more tart and crisp than their other sours, with clear lambic flavors going on. My favorite Russian River sour.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
inkubus27 (269) - highland, Indiana, USA - DEC 23, 2008
Pours a deep golden color with a small head. Very funky, skunky aroma, that I just cant get used to in sour beers. Taste is very sour, like warheads candy when I was a little kid. If I liked sour beers this would be the best example I have tried to date.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
TheAlum (6991) - Aurora, Illinois, USA - DEC 22, 2008
UPDATED: AUG 30, 2010 12 oz bottle acquired from Beerlando and broken out in honor of my order of Batch 003 arriving. Pours a higly hazed orangish yellow with minimal white head. Aromas are a wonderful sour funkiness coupled with a nice oakiness and brett apparent. Initial is sour, mouthpuckering with a dry oakiness and more funky brett body. Sour white wine, bitter lemon fruit. Strong, moderate body. Finishes puckering sour with notes of funk and wood lingering on the palate. A strong contender in the category. Very happy to have tried this and have 4 bottles of the new batch sitting in the cellar.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
DTM (798) - Winters, California, USA - DEC 14, 2008
UPDATED: APR 3, 2012 Bottle from Monument in Concord, CA. Well out of the three barrel aged beers released in 2008 this was the most sour. Almost a little too sour. Still a very nicely done brew. Update: April 3, 2012. Bottle from RR brewery. Slighlty better on aroma and just a little better overall. Still like eating a sour warhead.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
trevor211 (1631) - Seattle, Washington, USA - DEC 12, 2008
Pours a light golden color, with a small head that sticks around very well. It has a very pungent aroma of tart citrus - especially grapefruit, some barnyard funk and yeast. It’s perfectly tart – makes you pucker just a little, and leaves your mouth watering after every sip, making you want the next. It’s very light – I’d almost say sprightly – and a joy to drink. Wonderful.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
CaliBeersteez (3) - Bay Area!, California, USA - DEC 9, 2008 does not count
Wow, such a incredible tatsing brew. The sour....a good sour...fuck it...a great sour taste! This is straight up beer candy. The sample I had was of Batch 003 bottled, purchased for $30!!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
BeerandBlues2 (12193) - Escondido, California, USA - DEC 4, 2008
Batch 002 received via trade with hophead22. Pours lightly cloudy dark yellow with a small, fizzy, white head, all diminishing with no lacing. Aroma is average malt -hay, straw-, average hops -flowers, grass-, heavy yeast -horse blanket, barnyard, cheese, earth- with notes of green apples, wood, and medicine. Light bodied, mineral texture, lively carbonation, and a sour finish. Long duration, light sweetness, heavy acidity and sourness.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
DSG (12189) - Tel Aviv, ISRAEL - NOV 29, 2008
UPDATED: JUL 13, 2009 Re-rate 6/09: Bottle sample. Thanks Yafit! Batch 002. Hazy golden-orange color with no head. Aroma of barnyard, citrus, wood and some yogurt hints. Sour flavor with a bit of sweetness in the background, some *stuff-I-can’t-read-because-of-my-horrible-hand-wr and nice funk. Amazing. 9/3/9/4/18=4.3

(10/20/08) Bottle generously shared by the bartender and Tom at Monk’s Cafe in Philadelphia. Batch 002. Clear softly sparkling golden with a small white head. Aroma of barnyard, some citric notes and sweaty hints. Sour flavor with some lemon, grapefruit notes, light honey-ish hints and some funky stuff going on. Medium-bodied. Really great stuff - like an excellent Gueuze. 8/4/9/4/17=4.2

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
RIXbeer (102) - USA - NOV 28, 2008
Thanks to Deepsouth (BA)! No seriously, great trade!!! Hazy orange-straw colored with a cardboard thin head that fades completely. Farm fresh funk with a oaky nose normally found in cabernets. Smells much like a gueze but more earthy. OMG->Tart and sour like a sour patch kid but with an underlining sweetness. There is a hint of fruit somewhere in here but I can’t place it. Damn this is good! Sour with a carbonated dry finish that leaves the palate begging for more! This is one of the most drinkable beers I’ve ever had! I wish I had a case of this stuff. I’d spend the weekend taunting my friends with it. Russian River knows how to sour a beer just right! A+