overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 664   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.11/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Although we enjoyed aging Batch #1 in used La Folie barrels from New Belgium Brewery, one of which was the renowned PH1 barrel, Batch #2 is something completely different. After a trip to Belgium in 2006, Vinnie successfully tried his hand at spontaneous fermentation using traditional, and not so traditional, Lambic methods. Out of respect for our Belgian brewing friends, we call this style “Sonambic”, a portmanteau between Sonoma and Lambic.

We stole this term from our friend Brian Hunt at Moonlight, our local farmhouse brewery. In 2007, we executed a second spontaneous fermentation, making yet another batch of Sonambic. This year, we blended those two batches to create our second bottling of Beatification which we are very excited about! Batch #2 has a big grapefruit aroma and grapefruit rind flavor with funky Brettanomyces and a tart finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Cobra (1100) - - OCT 28, 2008
375 ml champagne split bottle. Corked and caged. Poured out golden straw color, same color as Miller. Subdued carbonation, slightly fizzy. Aromas are of wine barrels, pink grapefruit, sour and acidic. Flavors are of pink grapefruit rind, wine barrels, citric acid, some funky yeast. Medium mouthfeel, rich for a sour ale. Thick and coating on the tongue. Bitter aftertaste, like when you eat the pith from grapefruit rind. Pretty decent beer overall.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
TheEpeeist (3709) - Media, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 27, 2008
12.7 oz bottle. Fogged yellow brown with a white bubbly ring. Nose is lemon, apricot and funky honey. Sharply tart and sour, almost straight lemon juice and peel with a hint of unripe peach sweetness. Long dry finish trails off nicely.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
timfoolery (1126) - California, USA - OCT 25, 2008
UPDATED: OCT 20, 2012 Batch 003...Bottle from Monument in Concord. We’ve heald this for 5 or so months. I expected it to age nicely. As it turns out, this one was the sourest of them all. Pucker up and be ready for an excellent palate, light winey flavor, and dry finish. Batch 005 (011012)...so much better than batch 003. Sour grapefruit and mandarin orange aroma and flavor. Palate was excellent, considering this one is straight up like a Warhead candy, super sour. Flavor comes out clean and is still very drinkable. Excellent beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
eaglefan538 (3027) - Wilmington, Delaware, USA - OCT 23, 2008
Bottle shared by sloth, a very nice young man indeed. The pour was hazy amber-straw colored with very thin faint head that dissipated into about nothing. Aroma was strong leather, funk, horseblankets, citrus, wood, and hay. The flavor was whamo, darned puckered up little sucker, lambic-like. Along with all the aroma flavors, tart and sour base beer with strong citrus, white grapes, and fruity elements. Mouthfeel is acidic and clean, moderate body for the style, light overall. A very big thanks to my buddy, Bert!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
hopdog (11560) - Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 15, 2008
Big thanks to FlacoAlto for sending this off my wish list (as an Extra too!!!). Poured a medium and hazy golden color with a smaller sized head. Aromas of brett, somewhat funky, citrus, some vanilla, and wood. Tastes of wood, citrus, grapes, green apples, citrus, and sour. This one was nice and sour and tart. I like my sours to be sour and this one did not dissapoint!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
valpoaj (729) - Valparaiso, Indiana, USA - OCT 12, 2008
Bottle courtesy Taverner - thanks! Pours medium gold with a very thin white head that dissipates quickly. Aroma is a 10 out of 10 on the funky scale...this one definitely had that ’barnyard’ quality amped up. However, I found it overly funky...so much that it overwhelmed any other qualities this one might have had going for it...interesting nevertheless. Flavor is damn sour...some woody notes and a bit of lemon in there, but I really had to work to pick these out. Becomes more pleasant as it warms close to room temp. This one was definitely a slow sipper and causes some puckering after each drink. Very interesting beer, but I’ve had other sours with more dimension, and the sheer intensity of this was a bit too much for my palate. If you want some serious sour, head here!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
michael-pollack (4959) - King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 9, 2008
Bottle: Aroma is sour, tart, funky, and citrusy. Poured gold in color with a small white head. Cloudy. Sparkling. Many large particles. Extremely tart flavor. Tastes of sour fruits, citrus, citric acid, and oak. Light to medium body. Mineral texture is a bit dry. Tart citrus finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
waolsen (1375) - Littleton, Colorado, USA - OCT 9, 2008
bottle. thanks bwkrieger. hazy golden pour with thin head. very sour. bring the rolaids. lightly carbonated.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
joe1510 (501) - Illinois, USA - OCT 1, 2008
375ml $15 Russian River Batch 002 Courtesy of errantnight, thanks Derek! Beatification pours a murky, pale straw yellow with a minimal head. The clean white head grew to a finger but fell rather quickly to a ring around the glass. Random carbonation bubbles rise here and there to the minimal head. I would have liked to see a better head on this beer. It’s almost nonexistent after it settles and swirls won’t even bring it forward. The smell makes my mouth water immediately. A big hit of brett sourness right off the bat. Damp hay and earth are the first things I pick up, a bit of vinegar shows up half way through and becomes the dominant figure before being joined by a slight damp oakiness. Although the swirls don’t produce any head they do release enough carbonation to bring forward a peppery peachiness that only stays for a short time. Good depth with a great tart note. Beatification will make you pucker. The puckering tartness hits immediately but calms down mid-palate. As this beer warms the flavors really start coming together nicely. The sourness shows signs of vinegar throughout but there’s a good deal of pepper and stone fruits. Not as much earthiness as the nose suggested but it is present. At first this was simply a decent beer, after more warming it becomes very tasty and much more flavor sneaks through the sourness. The mouthfeel is a bit of a let down; I expected more carbonation and that light airy feel. The lack of carbonation leaves the mouthfeel a little heavier then expected. The body is medium and leaves a slight stick on the finish. Causes a nice pucker and makes my mouth water but I would like a bit more dryness. Just me being picky again I suppose. Very easy drinking. The tartness leaves your mouth watering for another drink as soon as you swallow the last. It feels like I’ve been drinking this slowly but I look at my glass and it’s about gone. A solid beer from Russian River. Not one of my favorites but all the flavor is there. Seems to me like a better carbonated brew would take care of most problems. I can’t wait to see what a couple years will do to these bottles 6/2/08

RCL (2030) - Waltham, Massachusetts, USA - SEP 27, 2008
Quite heavy on the funkiness. Super sour. Aroma and flavor like lemons went rotten in the barn, but in a good way.