overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 568   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.11   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Although we enjoyed aging Batch #1 in used La Folie barrels from New Belgium Brewery, one of which was the renowned PH1 barrel, Batch #2 is something completely different. After a trip to Belgium in 2006, Vinnie successfully tried his hand at spontaneous fermentation using traditional, and not so traditional, Lambic methods. Out of respect for our Belgian brewing friends, we call this style “Sonambic”, a portmanteau between Sonoma and Lambic.

We stole this term from our friend Brian Hunt at Moonlight, our local farmhouse brewery. In 2007, we executed a second spontaneous fermentation, making yet another batch of Sonambic. This year, we blended those two batches to create our second bottling of Beatification which we are very excited about! Batch #2 has a big grapefruit aroma and grapefruit rind flavor with funky Brettanomyces and a tart finish.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
GG (2019) - NorCal, California, USA - MAY 30, 2008
UPDATED: JUN 25, 2009 This is one serious f’n beer. I mean that with all sincerity. There is nothing lighthearted about it. This is a punch-you-in-the-mouth, kick-you-in-the-balls kinda beer. Just...wow. The beer pours out a cloudy yellowish-orange color with a small sized 1/2" thick head. That’s about the only thing that’s not hardcore about this beer. A aroma that goes from 0-100 in the blink of an eye. Huge tart aroma, stinky baby-poo, grapefruit rinds, oak, funky, musty, earthy...heavenly. The beer has a acidic, mouth stripping feeling that I only seem to get from Cantillon Organic Gueze and La Folie. Feels like the enamel on your teeth is melting away with every second this beer in touching your teeth, yet its so enjoyable. Flavors are absolutely wonderful with pineapple/grapefruity funk, oak, sour apples tartness and dry as a freakin’ bone. Just a pleasure to consume. Now looking for my next bottle.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
SuperDave (1932) - Beautiful Sunny Mesa, Arizona, USA - MAY 29, 2008
Sampled at hellbilly’s HellRaiser II. Hazy golden pour with a small foamy head. Aroma of sour apples and lemons, with a touch of yeast. Flavor is crazy sour, no sweetness whatsoever. Lots of fruit and yeast and wood. Super Dry and somewhat gueze-like. Very good!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
MesandSim (7119) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - MAY 29, 2008
A Mes rate: Bottle at weekend of tarts.
Semi cloudy golden with a good white head. Aroma is very funky with maybe a little too much poo. Flavour is better. Sour and barrelly and gloriously dry. Rather sweet compared to what I know of Russian River so far. A little too much grapefruit for me but it gets away with it. Good as this is, batch 1 gives it a flying armbar.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
drfabulous (3646) - Lexington, Kentucky, USA - MAY 28, 2008
I want to start this post with the most common of all Beatification description: sour. Yet, this is just that. The most common form of description. My beer writing is typically common. No catch phrases or usage of the word “pine” for an IPA (usually). My descriptions are common. My tastes are common as well in that I lean towards what other geeks lean to: sours, Double IPAs, IPAs, Barley Wines, Russian Imperials, etc. I can, however, make a description of Beatification more familial. My wife will never drink this. And I can make it more familial in a productive way. I’m glad my wife will never drink this because that way, I can finish the bottle alone.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
jlizard (8) - Richmond, California, USA - MAY 28, 2008 does not count
Deep and complex without being overwhelming. I liked it but would drink it in 6 oz servings very infrequently, preferably in between food with a view....

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Rogueone (506) - I F&ckin’ hate those guys from, Ohio, USA - MAY 28, 2008
Beer #200, thanks moejuck: Holy crap, this is sour. I mean, there are some sour beers out there but this one shows them all what is up. Pours a clear golden color, with an acidity that will curl your nose hairs. Behind the initial sniff, there are earthy citrus tones of candied grapefruits. Brett is very present here, but complimented well with citrus rind. Flavor is a cascading hierarchy of tartness, beginning with a the musky, funky sourness of ripe lemons, some candied sweetness luring you back in, and then a punch in the palate that swells your salivary glands to an aching throb. Then it dries out in your mouth while the throbbing in your cheeks slowly subsides. I think it took the enamel off of my teeth. I wanted to hate it, but I loved it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Sparky (2133) - Phoenix, Arizona, USA - MAY 27, 2008
Sampled at Hellbilly’s Hellraiser II. 375ml bottle. Pours a hazy yellow with almost zero head. Nose is lemons and aspirin. Taste matches the nose – sour lemons, lemon rind, aspirin, earthy oak and funk. Medium mouth feel with a very dry white wine type finish. Nice sour.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Rusty (1533) - Mesa, Arizona, USA - MAY 26, 2008
Sampled at Hellbillys Hellraiser II. Pours a hazy golden color. Aroma of sour, vinegar, cider, fruit, wood. Flavor is out of this world sourness, funkiness, with a touch of sweetness. Really nice sour.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
GeneralGao (3614) - Iowa City, Iowa, USA - MAY 26, 2008
Bottle shared by pepsican. Thanks! Poured a hazy golden-light orange color with a soapy white head. Aroma was of sour fruits, oak, white wine, and a hint of yeasty bread dough. Highly acidic (7-8 out of 10) with a hint of sweetness at the very end. Tasted of white wine and sour apples with a distinct apple juice aftertaste. Decidedly mouth puckering.

pepsican (1419) - @ $13.99, Iowa, USA - MAY 25, 2008
Gold pour with a thin white head. Strong barnyard aroma. flavor was lemons, sour funk, shock tarts...wow. Very acidic, very sour. I got a pour from the top of the bottle and it was much more sour than anyones pour after that. Very nice.