overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 658   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.11/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Although we enjoyed aging Batch #1 in used La Folie barrels from New Belgium Brewery, one of which was the renowned PH1 barrel, Batch #2 is something completely different. After a trip to Belgium in 2006, Vinnie successfully tried his hand at spontaneous fermentation using traditional, and not so traditional, Lambic methods. Out of respect for our Belgian brewing friends, we call this style “Sonambic”, a portmanteau between Sonoma and Lambic.

We stole this term from our friend Brian Hunt at Moonlight, our local farmhouse brewery. In 2007, we executed a second spontaneous fermentation, making yet another batch of Sonambic. This year, we blended those two batches to create our second bottling of Beatification which we are very excited about! Batch #2 has a big grapefruit aroma and grapefruit rind flavor with funky Brettanomyces and a tart finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
michael-pollack (4959) - King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 9, 2008
Bottle: Aroma is sour, tart, funky, and citrusy. Poured gold in color with a small white head. Cloudy. Sparkling. Many large particles. Extremely tart flavor. Tastes of sour fruits, citrus, citric acid, and oak. Light to medium body. Mineral texture is a bit dry. Tart citrus finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
waolsen (1375) - Littleton, Colorado, USA - OCT 9, 2008
bottle. thanks bwkrieger. hazy golden pour with thin head. very sour. bring the rolaids. lightly carbonated.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
joe1510 (501) - Illinois, USA - OCT 1, 2008
375ml $15 Russian River Batch 002 Courtesy of errantnight, thanks Derek! Beatification pours a murky, pale straw yellow with a minimal head. The clean white head grew to a finger but fell rather quickly to a ring around the glass. Random carbonation bubbles rise here and there to the minimal head. I would have liked to see a better head on this beer. It’s almost nonexistent after it settles and swirls won’t even bring it forward. The smell makes my mouth water immediately. A big hit of brett sourness right off the bat. Damp hay and earth are the first things I pick up, a bit of vinegar shows up half way through and becomes the dominant figure before being joined by a slight damp oakiness. Although the swirls don’t produce any head they do release enough carbonation to bring forward a peppery peachiness that only stays for a short time. Good depth with a great tart note. Beatification will make you pucker. The puckering tartness hits immediately but calms down mid-palate. As this beer warms the flavors really start coming together nicely. The sourness shows signs of vinegar throughout but there’s a good deal of pepper and stone fruits. Not as much earthiness as the nose suggested but it is present. At first this was simply a decent beer, after more warming it becomes very tasty and much more flavor sneaks through the sourness. The mouthfeel is a bit of a let down; I expected more carbonation and that light airy feel. The lack of carbonation leaves the mouthfeel a little heavier then expected. The body is medium and leaves a slight stick on the finish. Causes a nice pucker and makes my mouth water but I would like a bit more dryness. Just me being picky again I suppose. Very easy drinking. The tartness leaves your mouth watering for another drink as soon as you swallow the last. It feels like I’ve been drinking this slowly but I look at my glass and it’s about gone. A solid beer from Russian River. Not one of my favorites but all the flavor is there. Seems to me like a better carbonated brew would take care of most problems. I can’t wait to see what a couple years will do to these bottles 6/2/08

RCL (2030) - Waltham, Massachusetts, USA - SEP 27, 2008
Quite heavy on the funkiness. Super sour. Aroma and flavor like lemons went rotten in the barn, but in a good way.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
piscator34 (2271) - Winnipeg, Manitoba, CANADA - SEP 24, 2008
Bottled sample via (and shared with) oakbluff. Pale gold in colour with medium and somewhat spritzy carbonation. Huge funky aromas abound, with notes of outhouse, horseblanket, lemony citrus, and a bit of wood. Very sour in the mouth, with more lemon, "rockets" candies, and wood. A great refreshing tart quality to this one. Huge thanks to oakbluff for sharing this rarity.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
bdigital (658) - Ft Wayne, Indiana, USA - SEP 20, 2008
<b>Bottle: Batch 002</b> Yellowish-brown color with no head...seemed a bit flat on the pour. Notes of tart lemon, bread, cheese, hay and some light oak. Very crisp citrus tones come through as this warms. Tart, lactic sour taste hits almost immediately with the lemon and grapefruit zest notes...the oak comes through as well with some grassy and dirt notes. Very dry and seemed a bit one-dimensional, not overly complex.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
AllAboutStout (605) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - SEP 15, 2008
Pours a murky golden amber in color. Decent head on the pour. Smell is very tart and funky. I had this right after drinking the Supplication and this is vastly more sour than the it. Perfect amount of carbonation. Very good citrusy, sour fruit flavors. Perfect amount of carbonation to go with the sourness. I very much prefer this to the Supplication. Highly recommend.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
alexanderj (3503) - Branson, Missouri, USA - SEP 9, 2008
UPDATED: AUG 29, 2009 Bottle; rerate thanks to Jon. Found it pretty darn sour again. Flavor was better than I remembered, or maybe I am now more comfortable with the style. Still not an elite example of the style for me, but I did bump this up .2 bottle; poured a clear gold color with a good amount of visible carbonation. Aroma was funky with a good amount of wood and yeast. Flavor was "pretty damn sour." Yeast, bread and funk. Neared the end of my sour tolerance. Lemon as well; good for the style for me.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Theis (14962) - Frederiksberg, DENMARK - SEP 9, 2008
Bottle at Sune’s (Thanks). Clear yellow - white head. Brett, brett and more brett, vitamins, fruit juice, pee, cheese, grape, light barnyard, dryness. Love it !!!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
KimJohansen (10409) - Frederiksberg C, DENMARK - SEP 9, 2008
Hazy golden with tiny white head. Sour aroma with barnyard, hay, grapefruit and leather notes. Sour flavor with grapefruit, barnyard, wood, horseblanket and leather notes. Ends sour. Well balanced and overly sour. Lovely!