overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 664   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.11/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Although we enjoyed aging Batch #1 in used La Folie barrels from New Belgium Brewery, one of which was the renowned PH1 barrel, Batch #2 is something completely different. After a trip to Belgium in 2006, Vinnie successfully tried his hand at spontaneous fermentation using traditional, and not so traditional, Lambic methods. Out of respect for our Belgian brewing friends, we call this style “Sonambic”, a portmanteau between Sonoma and Lambic.

We stole this term from our friend Brian Hunt at Moonlight, our local farmhouse brewery. In 2007, we executed a second spontaneous fermentation, making yet another batch of Sonambic. This year, we blended those two batches to create our second bottling of Beatification which we are very excited about! Batch #2 has a big grapefruit aroma and grapefruit rind flavor with funky Brettanomyces and a tart finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
sleepylopes (318) - New York, USA - AUG 21, 2008
tap, tartness and carbonation dominate this brew. the big bret flavors are well ballanced with a good amount of citrus and pith.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
jcwattsrugger (12185) - Florida and, New Jersey, USA - AUG 20, 2008
@Richmond/Williamsburg Gathering-12.7 oz bottle-pours a white ring and gold color. Aroma is sour grain, wet wood/barnyard, tart lemon, dry, bretomyces-funk. Taste is nonstop sour, grain, wet wood/barnyard, tart lemon, dry, brettanomyces-funk. Tart and sour doesn’t stop. Great beer to the style. Occasional. Thanks Chris for sharing.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
hophead75 (2012) - Largo, Florida, USA - AUG 17, 2008
Bottle via trade with Emacgee. Hazy golden in color with a small off white head that recedes but retains well. Aroma: really funky and sour with grapefruit, lemon rind, oak, barnyard, pepper, white wine grapes- really complex. Taste is definitely not a let down from the aroma- sour apple, as well as moderate funk, tart grapefruit, lemon rind, pepper, oak, with only the slightest hints at malt sweetness. Finishes with tart fruit and some moderate acetic sourness. A huge thank you to Ethan for this one....

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Floback (550) - Indianapolis, Indiana, USA - AUG 17, 2008
An awesome hook-up from SoLan during a crazy night of beer and ’08 Pro football season fantasy draft picks. I’ve been waiting to try this brew for over a year. Pours a golden/yellow body and no trace of head. Once the bottle is opened, an enticingly sour aroma wafts out and envelops the room. The mouthfeel is puckeringly sour with sour apples, citrus, and strong notes of vinegar. This is more sour than most gueuze I’ve tried. Medium carbonation and medium body. Enjoyable and incredibly intense. Five other people at the party could not handle the sourness, but SoLan and I were loving it.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
kp (10884) - Woodstock, Georgia, USA - AUG 13, 2008
UPDATED: JAN 17, 2009
Name: Beatification 002
Date: June 21, 2008
Mode: Bottle
Source: Tasting, Cellar Party
Appearance: hazy pale yellow, wispy white head
Aroma: light malt aroma with lots of musty character
Flavor: dry malt flavor with lots of mouth puckering tartness, lots of oak adds to the dryness
Aroma: 6/10; Appearance: 6/10; Flavor: 6/10; Palate: 6/10; Overall: 11/20
Rating: 2.9/5.0
Drinkability: 6/10
Score: *4

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
JB175 (1665) - Bucks County, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 13, 2008
Gotta thank SQNfan for this special one. I regret never having had the chance to taste a Beatification 001, but with this one in my hand who cares. During my visit to Russian River last winter I thought I glimpsed a barrel that said "Beatification" and only wished I could sneak into the barrel room without anyone seeing me. This one is a beautiful glowing yellow gold with a medium head. Aroma has a wonderful funky sourness with some oak wafting in after about a half second. Lemon and assorted citrusy flavors dominate with a brilliant acidity - woody, funky, delicious all around. Wonderful pucker factor & a fantastic feel. This is very special beer that I hope to find another bottle of - somewhere.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
SCBrew (31) - San Clemente, California, USA - AUG 12, 2008
Slightly hazy golden color. Funky, brett aroma. Lemon acidity with a little sour apple. Mild carbonation

Immy (1955) - Virginia Beach, USA - AUG 11, 2008
Richmond Summer Gathering. C&C 500ml bottle courtesy of cdumler, to whom I am eternally grateful for allowing me to share this beer. Murky gold with a small white head. This beer is simply amazing... nose of sour wheat, cat piss, barnyard, funky lemon, wet wood... good LORD, every time I inhale it gets better! Sour flavors, sour grain and tart lemony flavors, more funky barnyard-ish notes, woody... OMG. I went batshit insane over this beer - it’s pretty bad when the other beer geeks in the room are laughing while you gush like a schoolgirl over a beer. As I said at least a dozen times that night... a stunner, and my second ever 5.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
TheBeerGod (6010) - Newport News, Virginia, USA - AUG 9, 2008
Bottle - corked and caged - at the Williamsburg Gathering courtesy of cdumler. Murky, cloudy gold. Small white bubbles on the surface. Aroma smacks of cat urine, sour wheat, wet wood, moldy books, damp basement and sour fruit / lemon juice. Taste is very sour with more grains, tart fruits, wet wood, horse blanket, funky yeast, lemon juice, and damp basement. Body is acidic and dry with light carbonation. There’s some strong astringency with this as well. Ends with more sour fruits, wet wood, lemon juice, sour grains and earth notes. In a word - AWESOME!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Drake (11767) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 7, 2008
UPDATED: DEC 26, 2010 Bottle from cdumler shared at the 2008 Richmond Summer Gathering. Thanks Chris! Hazy yellow color. Aroma of grain, lemon and a beautiful musty sourness. Very sour taste with big funky and woody notes. Very nice.