overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 618   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.11   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Although we enjoyed aging Batch #1 in used La Folie barrels from New Belgium Brewery, one of which was the renowned PH1 barrel, Batch #2 is something completely different. After a trip to Belgium in 2006, Vinnie successfully tried his hand at spontaneous fermentation using traditional, and not so traditional, Lambic methods. Out of respect for our Belgian brewing friends, we call this style “Sonambic”, a portmanteau between Sonoma and Lambic.

We stole this term from our friend Brian Hunt at Moonlight, our local farmhouse brewery. In 2007, we executed a second spontaneous fermentation, making yet another batch of Sonambic. This year, we blended those two batches to create our second bottling of Beatification which we are very excited about! Batch #2 has a big grapefruit aroma and grapefruit rind flavor with funky Brettanomyces and a tart finish.

drewbeerme (3891) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUN 15, 2008
UPDATED: APR 18, 2010 Rating#1600! 375ml bottle. pours slightly hazy straw-golden with white head. aroma is very funky-cob webs, sour and oaky, vinegar, and white winey. wow this is a really sour and straight up lambic sans fruit, very funky and okay and rather cantillon esque, citrus middle with lemon and white grape finish. the body is a bit thin but its fine. carbonation is med, perhaps could have used a bit more but that is being picky. great stuff. 4.0.

7/15/08, 375ml bottle. thanks to holdenn for sharing! wonderful cantillon lambic esque aroma but the flavor is just way too sour which even hurts the stomach a bit. i never got used to it this time. 3.9. Tasting March’10, batch 2 nose of vinegar, cheese, sharp oak flavor, a bit rough around the edges. 3.8. batch 3 was nice and acidic lemomy and tight, real solid batch 4.0

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
ucusty (2691) - raleigh, North Carolina, USA - JUN 14, 2008
Bright orange pour with a slight haze. Lemon bars on the nose. Lots of citrus tart. Funky finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Snojerk321 (2960) - San Diego, California, USA - JUN 14, 2008
Rating # 800. 375ml bottle from a buddy up north, batch 002. I think this beer wins for the most sour beer I’ve ever tried! Pours glowing orange with a fizzing white head that dissipated quickly. Nose was big on grapefruit and citrus with a sour funk. Flavor was insanely sour with citrus peel and a good tingle on the palet.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Angeloregon (2055) - Portland, Oregon, USA - JUN 13, 2008
Thanks to Geoff at Bailey’s for sharing this beer with me! Poured from a small 500 ml bottle a shiny, solar hazed yellow-golden. Almost looked like apple juice. Ironically enough, it was appley in the nose. Very sour. Brett bomb, in fact. All over my palate with complex stinging cider notes. Puckering citrus lemon finish. This is the most Belgian-esque sour made in the US I have probably ever tasted. Yum!

lb4lb (2570) - Austin, Texas, USA - JUN 11, 2008
UPDATED: NOV 20, 2008 Pours clearish gold with no lasting head at all. Smell is bright, fruity in a lemony way, fresh, lightly funky but restrained and pretty nice. Taste is nicely sour. Citrus, mouth-puckering lemony flavor and sourness with soft carbonation. A bit thinner bodied than I remember, or expected, perhaps, but still pretty easy to drink for a sour, and not vinegar like and offputting in that regard. Fresh and enjoyable taste.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Rciesla (5499) - Exit 15W, New Jersey, USA - JUN 11, 2008
UPDATED: JUN 2, 2009 Got this bottle in a trade. Wow this is Great. Pours a light golden orange body with a little head that disappears quickly. A bretty lambic aroma. Flavor is mouthwatering acidic dry sour lacto funkiness. Big up to open air fermentation. 4.3 What the hell happened to this beer it keeps getting BETTER AND BETTER. Just had batch 003 twice and MOTHER OF GOD i love this beer!!!! 4.6-4.7

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
robertjm (785) - Albany, California, USA - JUN 11, 2008
Purchased Ledger’s Liquors, in Berkeley, Calif. Dark straw colored. Pours nice frothy head that breaks down fairly quickly. Cloudy beer. "Fresh" tart aroma. When I first opened the bottle it was fairly strong from the escaping gases (from a foot away), but when I smell it from the glass its much more subdued. First taste was like "BANG"!!!!! Honestly, tastes like a ton of grapefruit juice laced with limberger cheese. Distinctive "taste" of the wood barrels on the tongue in the aftertaste. I’ve had lambics before but nothing anywhere near this in flavor so its really hard to rate this due to my limited experience. Feels like there’s some carbonation in the mouthfeel, but not really visible when looking at the glass. Looks more like an oxidized white wine in color. :-)

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
scoobysnak (329) - Appleton, Wisconsin, USA - JUN 9, 2008
Pours a nice golden color with minimal head that reduces to nothing very quickly. Hazy with a good hinting of bubbles. Smell is very vinous with oak notes and a alcohol warmth. Slight citrus aroma also. A very nice beer, good tartness that makes your jaw ache, very grapefruit esque. The end leaves the very pleasant taste of the oak barrels. Damn good. Another stunner from Russian River.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
chicagodri (1683) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUN 9, 2008
Sadly, the last of my sour ales from Russian River at my place. I went on a tear this weekend :) Incredibly funky aroma...almost like bad cheese. But, amazingly enough it tastes fantastic. Nice sour fruit flavor and incredibly tart. Awesome stuff.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
BrianK (200) - Livingston, New Jersey, USA - JUN 9, 2008
Shared by Rciesla on my 25th birthday. Very descent offering from RR probably my favorite. I felt this beer had many lambic qualities and was quite funky. I like it.