overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 590   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.1   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Although we enjoyed aging Batch #1 in used La Folie barrels from New Belgium Brewery, one of which was the renowned PH1 barrel, Batch #2 is something completely different. After a trip to Belgium in 2006, Vinnie successfully tried his hand at spontaneous fermentation using traditional, and not so traditional, Lambic methods. Out of respect for our Belgian brewing friends, we call this style ďSonambicĒ, a portmanteau between Sonoma and Lambic.

We stole this term from our friend Brian Hunt at Moonlight, our local farmhouse brewery. In 2007, we executed a second spontaneous fermentation, making yet another batch of Sonambic. This year, we blended those two batches to create our second bottling of Beatification which we are very excited about! Batch #2 has a big grapefruit aroma and grapefruit rind flavor with funky Brettanomyces and a tart finish.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
tyler_mn (1475) - SLP, Minnesota, USA - MAY 10, 2008
UPDATED: MAY 12, 2008 Bottle. Initial review of the top half of the bottle before the yeast pours.

Holy shit! What a insanely funky and over the top nose! Tart, juicy citrus, white pepper, wood, brett, horse blanket, cow poop, farm. Absolutely wonderful in its complexity. Pours a clear gold. Nearly still. Nearly perfect. Shimmering in all its awesomeness. Flavor is tart and acidic beyond belief. Pineapple, brett, sour, funky. Awesome!

After the yeast. More musty notes emerge. More basement and less farm. Pungent and potent as all hell. White pepper notes emerge. Grapefruit skin. White grape skin and tannin. Assloads of tannic wood. Still acidic but a tad more lush and creamy. Dusty and gravely. Out-freaking-standing! Thanks Mark!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
puzzl (3249) - New York, New York, USA - MAY 9, 2008
Rating 1500. Iím amazed this one is rated lower than Batch 1, as IMO it is easily a superior brew. Pours a milky yellow with little head, but a beautiful, spritzy looking body. The aroma is filled with pineapple funk, rich brett and a hint of oak. Perfectly sour in the mouth, deep brettiness and bacteria in perfect harmony. This is incredibly drinkable stuff... my bottle is gone before I even knew what hit me. A great beer, and extremely satisfying for 1500. On to 2000!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
DonMagi (5596) - bantervile, Bedfordshire, ENGLAND - MAY 9, 2008
Bottle thanks to wetherell! The most lambic like, non lambic iv ever had. Super drinkable, great unblended lambic.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
marcus (6343) - Sacramento, California, USA - MAY 6, 2008
This golden ale poured with a thin off-white head and a strong fruity aroma. This batch tastes a bit more like gueuze than does batch 001. The flavor is flatter and more sour and the finish is very sharp. Not as mellow, but more complex.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
bb (6784) - Alamo, California, USA - MAY 5, 2008
Bottle. Golden beer with a small off-white head. Tart, slight acetic aroma. Sour, acetic flavor with slight lemon and oak. Medium body. Lemon, sour, oak, and slight acetic linger. Refreshing. Nice complexity.

gunhaver (1030) - Tampa, Florida, USA - MAY 4, 2008
UPDATED: JUN 4, 2008 Bottle, courtesy illiturdit. Pours a murky, yellow straw color, with a decent head and lots of sticky lacing. Aroma is stacked with musky tartness and apples, citrus, and an overall barnyardness that canít be ignored. Flavor has that tart apple thing going on, acidfic, and real geueuzey. About as drinkable as a sour ale can get. Very good.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Gregis (1281) - Shawnee, Kansas, USA - MAY 3, 2008
Bottle generously shared by mreusch. This looks just like grapefruit juice (minus the pulp) with a tiny skin of white bubbles that disappear to a flat surface. The nose is bretty and nicely funky with a solid, tart grapefruit backbone. Medium-bodied and tart with a nice, sour and lightly dry finish. Big, tart and citric, the initial hit is amazing and the sourness lingers before transitioning to a sweet residual note in the aftertaste. This may not be the most complex sour that Iíve tried, but it is nothing short of delicious. When this amazing brew first hit my tongue, I immediately thought of a quote Iíd heard on The Simpsons. "Itís like thereís a party in my mouth, and everyoneís invited." Thanks a ton for sharing this with me, Matt!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
wetherel (1836) - Encinitas, California, USA - MAY 3, 2008
I searched my whole house for my notes on this, so Iím doing it from memory. I bought a bottle from the brewery (via Tim). I opened it at the bottle shop with Sean with Supplication. I like Supplication better. Iíve heard this beer is very sour, but I find it to be medium sourness, like most gueuzes. In fact I would call it an above average gueuze. I donít it is as good as my memory of Batch 001. I have all 3 bottles, so Iíll have to do a tasting sometime. Aroma of some hay and baryard funk. Pretty nice. Dryish. Like others have mentioned, I would like to try this one aged.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
3fourths (7879) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - MAY 2, 2008
UPDATED: SEP 26, 2012 375ml bottle pours clear yellow when itís done carefully, but you have to mix the yeast in this one, so my glass ends up cloudy soft, very appealing. When really cold the aroma has some eggs/sulfur/mustard in it, but at proper temperature it disappears, and what you have is a musty barnyard and compost scented wheat, rye, cereal grain and funky, sharp, acidic lactic acid. Taste is very bright and bitter - much like lemon juice, amazingly bitter and sharp on the tongue, developing a soft wheat smoothness over the middle, but entirely consumed in a lactic acidity. Fruity but sour lemon zest and smooth, soothing wheat are the primary flavors, and the finish is a mix of throat-burning acid and soothing sweet lemon. Really good, but I donít think itís fully developed yet. Will revisit in one year.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
FlacoAlto (3759) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - MAY 2, 2008
Batch 002; Sampled May 2008
A light carbonation coupled with a soft pour produces only a half covering of frothy, wispy white froth. The beer is a hazy, yellow-gold color and the aroma is quite divine. Nicely tart with notes of grapefruit, lightly spicy oak, musty toe-cheese, light urea, light cedar, celery seed, light nail-polish-remover, a woody mushroom note and a slight, savory, cooked vegetable note that is actually quite nice. While the nose does have a dominant tartness to it up front, the backdrop is what makes this so interesting; a solid base of funk has been layered in to this beer in a very subtle manner.

Very sour tasting, even more than the aroma would have suggested. The carbonation is somewhat soft (especially if one is expecting Gueuze levels of CO2), but it does provide a nice tickle of texture to this beer. Puckeringly sour with a mix of lemon and sour-grapefruit flavors, yet still eminently drinkable for this lover of sour beers. This beer is almost devoid of malt sweetness and thus is fairly light bodied. There is some texture to this beer though, it has a light velvet-like touch that seems to stem from some tannic presence that is especially noticeable in the finish as it clings to the roof of my mouth. Really this has a perfect texture to it, quite light and quaffable yet with some structure an palate presence such that it is nothing like watery. This is actually fairly clean tasting, the funk notes of the nose seem to not have really translated to the flavor, other than a sort of oral-nasal interaction during each sip. The finish does have some interesting things going on, in addition to some light tannic oak, there is a soft, almost savory thing going on, that I canít quite pin down flavor wise. Also there is a nice, supporting Brettanomyces funkiness here that provides some musty, moldy horse-blanket notes.

A 375ml bottle of this is not nearly enough, this is so drinkable that I find my self drinking from my glass quite frequently, enjoying the tart funkiness that is this beer. I really should have put two bottles of this brew in the fridge, this just disappeared too quickly and leaves me wanting at least another glass. It is not the most complex of beers (in fact the batch 001ís where both more complex), but it is so drinkable, so well balanced, and such a pleasure to drink. I canít wait to see how this & further batches evolve.