Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 667   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.11/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Although we enjoyed aging Batch #1 in used La Folie barrels from New Belgium Brewery, one of which was the renowned PH1 barrel, Batch #2 is something completely different. After a trip to Belgium in 2006, Vinnie successfully tried his hand at spontaneous fermentation using traditional, and not so traditional, Lambic methods. Out of respect for our Belgian brewing friends, we call this style “Sonambic”, a portmanteau between Sonoma and Lambic.

We stole this term from our friend Brian Hunt at Moonlight, our local farmhouse brewery. In 2007, we executed a second spontaneous fermentation, making yet another batch of Sonambic. This year, we blended those two batches to create our second bottling of Beatification which we are very excited about! Batch #2 has a big grapefruit aroma and grapefruit rind flavor with funky Brettanomyces and a tart finish.

UselessGdTaste's rating

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
UselessGdTaste (365) - Long Beach, California, USA - JAN 17, 2009
A great blend. I would have to say right on par with many of the "genuine" spontaneously fermented beers out there.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
popery (2019) - San Francisco, California, USA - OCT 15, 2016
Review #2000. Yay! 375 ml bottle. Bottled on 011012 (batch 5). The beer is a bright, clear gold. No haze apparent at all - I was rather gentle with the bottle. The head is fairly small and pure white. Some lacing, bubbles stick around for a good amount of time. The aroma has nice brett funk depth on top of a lacto-forward sourness and a pleasantly sweet herbal flavor. There’s good fruity complexity in there with notes of pineapple, lemon, apple, grape, cherry and blackberry. The barrel imparts a solid vinous flavor and moderate oakiness. Light dusty, farmhouse note in the background. The taste is dry and medium sour. It’s still firmly tart, but I think this is a somewhat less sour batch of Beatification, though. Lots of barrel character comes through. The finish is woody and vinous with very mild oaky bitterness. Mouthfeel is light enough but still pretty round for a relatively low abv sour. There’s some body to it. Nice clean finish, though. Medium pucker. This is one of my favorite American sours, just a wonderful beer. It’s strange that it’s taken me so long to review it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
anstei (1234) - Zurich, SWITZERLAND - OCT 1, 2016
Bottle. Aroma of smoke and bacon, salty. Lots of stuff happening on the tongue. Funk, salt, pineapple, citrus. Palate drops quickly but stays on a low level, fruity. Good.

SinH4 (3194) - Garching b. München, GERMANY - OCT 1, 2016
Bottle. Hazy orange color with white head. Aroma is fresh funk, peach, quite intense, a bit salty. Taste is peach, pineapples, quite sour, citrusy. Medium carbonation. Very American, but very good!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Davidmati (24) - Barcelona, SPAIN - AUG 31, 2016
It is very very very good beers. I can’ stand drinking this beer. I love it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Peterbia (28) - Garcia, SPAIN - AUG 24, 2016
Draught beer at the taproom. Very impressive. I like this beer a lot. Definitely have it back.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
philippe1990 (30) - Madrid, SPAIN - AUG 23, 2016
I don’t know how to describe how good a beer is, but I really really like this beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
lauramartinez (27) - Galicia, SPAIN - AUG 18, 2016
I’m a beginner, so I don’t have a detailed comment, but I like this beer a lot.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
hackobock (3577) - Stockholm, SWEDEN - JUN 30, 2016
August 29, 2015. Bottle at home, batch 6. Received in a trade, thanks!
Clear golden with a very small white head. Aroma is funky and fruity with lemon juice, green apple skins, gooseberries, white grapes, funky barnyard notes with an earthy touch, oak, leather and hints of minerals. Taste is tart, fruity and funky. Finish is sour, dry and fruity with lemon, apple, oak, minerals, light grain notes and funk. Light bodied, dry texture, average carbonation.
Very good, fruity with the funkiness and complexity of lambic.

biirusaikou (2585) - - JUN 22, 2016
Sampled at Mechazilla’s epic insanity tasting session. Lovely sour fruit character with berries and lemon, good tartness, funky notes, oaky dry finish. Pretty smashed at that stage of the tasting but remember loving it.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
willisread (2552) - Tokyo, JAPAN - MAY 7, 2016
Bottle shared at Mechazilla event. Huge sour white grapefruit and apricot aromas with tons of oak and bit of gooseberry-like tartness perceived. Bone dry with lowish carbonation. The sourness with the oak notes are just marvelous. More apricot and grapefruit, some lemon too in there. Finishes dry with a fresh fruit and bright tartness. Fantastic. My favorite from the night.