overall

RATINGS: 1284   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.99   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 70   EST. CALORIES: 183   ABV: 6.1%
70 IBU’s. 1.061 Original Gravity.

Full-bodied, very hoppy, citrus, pine, fruity notes with nice dry, bitter finish!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
aplusbreaks (330) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - AUG 24, 2008
bottled 7/22/08 Pours a amber/orange with a half inch off white head. Aromas of pine, citrus, and floral hops. Taste like hop juice with a little honey. Not as nice and/or fresh tasting as the pliny the elder, even though they were bottled only 8 days apart. Overall Great IPA, this would be lesser breweries "IMPY IPA"

Lagunitasfan (1321) - San Diego, California, USA - AUG 23, 2008
Quarter inch of off-white foam fell quickly to a thick creamy oil slick covering most of the top. Honey colored. I could smell the hops as I walked down the hall, holding the glass in front of me. Now as I sniff deeply, the sharpness is blended with a nice fruity odor. Blueberry? Constant flow of bubbles, like champagne. The lacy slick is actually strengthening as I type, staining the side of the pint glass when I pick up the brew. Sharp hoppy sharp. No fruity taste in that first drink. Long lingering aftertaste is toned but still bitter. I can feel it in my cheeks and gums and lips. As I continue I can start to pick up a bit o’ honey flavor. Sharp aftertaste still loiters long after the mouthfull is gone. Yummyyummyyummy. If you like the uberhoppy IPAs, you’ll probably like this one a lot. I do.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Juelze (1141) - Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 23, 2008
Trade from Ross. Thanks man! Pours a hazy golden color with bubbly medium white head. Aroma is of light pineapple, grapefruit and a bit of orange. Taste is citrus hops with a touch of orange pith, lemon peel, and mild malt backbone. Lightly carbonated and quite bitter in the finish, this was good but not as good as the Green Flash I recently had.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Petrucci914 (910) - Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 23, 2008
Pours a golden color, with minute particles that make it cloudy - a thin foamy white head. Aroma is amazing - pineapple juice, grapefruit, and a bit of syrupy malt characteristics. The taste is very smooth (minor carbonation). Taste is a bit of orange pith, some citrus, with a bitter finish. Very good, but nothing revolutionary to me.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
vyvvy (4396) - Florissant, Missouri, USA - AUG 23, 2008
Thanks to xmarcnolanx for sharing this gem. Pours golden orange with a whitish head. The aroma has lots of orange, grapefruit, light green onion and lightly toasted caramel malt. Medium resiny body with semi-sharp carbonation. The flavor starts like the aroma with some piny aspects. The taste is even more hop heavy than the aroma. The finish is bone dry with earthy hoppiness. A great IPA.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
JohnnyJ (4675) - San Diego, California, USA - AUG 23, 2008
A great IPA from Russian River. Refreshing and flavorful. Pours a slightly hazy gold/orange with fluffy white head. Citrus, lemon zest, grapefruit, floral hops, tropical fruit (mango), pine, caramel malt, and biscuits. I would drink this all the time if I could get a hold of it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
EHopper (620) - Minnesota, USA - AUG 22, 2008
Tasted on vacation in CA. Thanks Jeff and Jer! Easy drinking IPA with light bitterness through and through, but which does not quite meet the promise of the very refreshing nose. Not enough drama for me, but I wouldn’t turn one down, either.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
brewandbbq (269) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - AUG 22, 2008
Bottle date 7/8/08 Ahhh, we’ve finally come full circle. Many years ago I had my first Blind Pig in a hot tub in San Diego. Wowza, did it blow my socks off. I just remember how awfully bitter it was! Finally, the pig has been ressurected. Pours light, hazy gold, with a one inch head of dense white foam. Retention is moderate and clingy lacework throughout. Aromatics are pungent and floral. Tangerines, pine sap, grapefruit, apricots, melons, and light, fresh malt. Tropical fruits in a Northern forest. Medium bodied, with a crisp, dry mouthfeel. Bright, juicy hops lead off the pallet. Pink grapefruit, spruce resin, orange pith, and melon rind. Drying, smooth bitterness steps forward and some mild alcohol is present when looked for. Loaded with fruit and pine, super dry and lightly malty. Finishes with lingering citrus fruit pith, a bit of pine bark, and plenty of firm, drying bitterness. Better than I remember, and certainly my bitterness threshold has changed since the original. Big ups to BA RblWthACoz for the hook-up..Proper!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Sparky (2244) - Phoenix, Arizona, USA - AUG 21, 2008
Bottled on 7/22/08. Pours a hazy dark gold with one finger off-white head and spotty lacing. Nose is ripe tangerine and oranges, sweet caramel and juniper bushes. Taste is caramel malt, oranges, and pink grapefruit with a piney resiny finish. Medium mouth feel. Really hoppy but balanced nicely. Very good and right up there with my IPA favorites.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
TURDFERGUSON (4002) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - AUG 20, 2008
Bonus bottle from Kramer. Thanks Jason! Following the instructions I am drinking this the day I received it, as if I would do anything else with a new russian river beer. Pours golden with a small white head and nice lace. Nose is very nice floral and piney hops with some nice sweet malts, balanced very well. Flavor is similar, but a bit more herbal and dirty/spicy hops with a lot of grapefruit, and a lot of pine. Nice, easy drinking medium body. Finish is lightly bitter and nicely dry with a bit of hop resin. This stuff is pretty good but it doesn’t hold a candle to pliny.