overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 1169   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.14   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Ale with currants added and aged in oak barrels.

When we made the Toronado’s 20th Anniversary Ale, we had no idea that it would turn out to be one of our favorite barrel aged beers we would ever make. With that said, we have always wanted to make a dark barrel aged beer using 100% Cabernet Sauvignon barrels but, we never were inspired. That is, until we blended five different beers to make the Toronado beer, the tobacco character from the the dark malts blended nicely with the furit character that developed in blending. So, with Concescration we set out to make a barrel beer using all Cabernet Sauvignon barrels. No, we are not saying that this is a replica of the T-rooms anniversary beer, after all, a beer like that can never be duplicated, and, there was no fruit added to that beer as there is with this one. All we are saying is that it gave us great inspiration to brew Consecration.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
riversideAK (5734) - Shoreline, Washington, USA - MAR 5, 2009
Unlike other beers that people rate highly simply do to a name, or it being a special release for a certain store, this one actually lived up to the hype. I had it the night before in the bottle and was feeling it, but not crazily. Then I had it on tap. Awesome aroma of oak, sour funk, tart berry notes. Pours dark red with a really nice softer red hue and a decent head. Tart and oaky up front followed by some fruity earthy berry notes on the mid palate. Lingering oak and tart citric sour notes, but not in a shock to the taste buds kind of way, but more in a this works very well together kind of way. Nice and smooth body, no hints of booze at all. This one could be dangerous really. The bottled version seemed more effervescent, way more oaky, more boozy, and lighter bodied, and while it was nice, the tap version is simply amazing.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
trevor211 (1399) - Seattle, Washington, USA - MAR 4, 2009
Pours very dark! Deep brownish ruby color. Aroma has lots of oak, some red wine (there’s the cab), tart fruits (currants are there, but cranberries and tart blackberries came to mind first). Flavor gives it some funk and lets the cabernet and the fruit shine. Perfectly tart. Not too astringent, but definitely pucker-worthy. Silky smooth - this feels like velvet in your mouth. I’m seriously impressed - this is delicious.

SDalkoholic (2206) - Linda Vista, California, USA - MAR 4, 2009
On tap @ O’Brien’s: Wine like aroma accompanied with alcohol, wood, and dried fruit. No formation of head while the color is a solid dark wood brown. The flavor is sour with similarities to sour green unripe grapes and has a woody aftertaste that finishes dry. Definitely a drink to be reckoned with and appreciated and now I must compare how the bottled version measures up to a fresh tap glass pouring.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
snakeoilpete (324) - Seattle, Washington, USA - MAR 4, 2009
On tap at Naked City. Pours a dark burgundy-brown with a minimal off-white head. Aroma of oak, black currants, spice. Flavor is very tart with a subtle brown sugary sweetness.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 19/20
talon1117 (1152) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - MAR 3, 2009
UPDATED: JUN 27, 2010 Batch 001X2. Pours a hazy, dark ruby color with a very fizzy, yellowish-beige, fairly small head which diminishes very quickly and leaves nothing; carbonation is persistnent for quite some time. Nose is pungent and amazing; black currants noticed immediately which is followed immediately by light molasses, overripe cherries, dates, faint burnt caramel, light vanilla, light wet oak, light maple, some raisin, some blackberry, and probably other notes that I missed. It’s vinous, it’s jammy, it’s lightly tart, it’s delicately sweet, it’s overwhelmingly complex; awesome. Before the flavor, I must discuss the palate; the carbonation is just too fizzy to allow the awesome flavors develop; light to medium, fizzy, and faintly silky but drying just a touch. The flavors are amazing with fruity, jammy, vinous notes up front (black currants, blackberry jam, lighter cranberry) followed by tart notes of overripe cherries and light bretty acetic notes, and the oak melds everything together being wet and earthy; underneath is faint burnt caramel, faint molasses, and hints at vanilla. The progression from fruity notes to tart notes to oak notes with sweet undertones is perfect. Finishes average length with some old world wine notes being earthy, slightly funky, a bit of vanilla, and wet oak; lightly drying from some tannins. I may have made a huge mistake opening this one so early, especially considering the price. However, my only real complaint is the carbonation level; it created a less-than-adequate appearance and took away from the flavors, not to mention the palate was only acceptable because of it. Insane nose, great melding of flavors, and balanced at every step. Perfect balance of vinous notes, tart/sour notes, sweet undertones, and oak. Hopefully we’ll see what this could become in a few years.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
MatSciGuy (907) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - MAR 3, 2009
[Bottle] sent to me by taverner. Wow, what can I say. Pours a deep garnet with a medium, effervescent beige head. Aroma is absolutely fantastic. Lots of oak, currants, cherries, oak, and cabernet. There is an underlying tartness that hints at what’s going to follow in the flavor. Flavor initially hits with some lactic sourness and a hint of the currants. That is followed by the dry oakiness of the wine barrels and their prior contents. Finishes tart and sweet with a lasting currant flavor. The mouthfeel is well carbonated and light. An absolutely brilliantly executed beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Crosling (1864) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - MAR 3, 2009
Draught, Catalyst Coffee. Light brown color. Full, layered foam. Nose is perhaps the weakest point of the beer, but still hints of funk, wood, dark fruit. Flavor is amazing. Complex, integrated, beautifully balanced. Notes of cranberry, currant, blackberry and wood. A beauty and one to put away.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
arrogantb (1402) - Denver, Colorado, USA - MAR 3, 2009
$22 750ml bottle. Red-brown color with almost no head yet it feels fizzy in my mouth. The smell is really quite interesting but subtle. Tobacco, chocolate, barrel, some brett, jam. The flavor is tart, sweet, hmmm... good, but not amazing like Deviation or the other RR barrel-aged beers. Serving type: bottle Reviewed on: 02-28-2009 04:13:16

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
darkguardian (726) - Florida, USA - MAR 3, 2009
22oz bottle. This is a very special beer to me because I never expected that I would love this as much as I did. I mean I knew I would like it as I tend to like all Russian River stuff but this beer is in a class all its own and it marks 2 firsts for me, my first score above 4.8 and my first time rating an overall impression of 20. Pours a darkish red remiscent of a fine wine with a small quickly collapsing head. Lovely color. The head releases a intoxicating aroma of black currants, oak, wine and sourness (subdued). However after the head collapses which happens quickly this aroma goes away and some of the complexity is lost, the lone blemish on this astonishing beer. The flavor profile is simply amazing. Oaky sourness opens up but remains tart and not acidic nor balsamic, its a very balanced sourness. Alcohol is non existant, making this dangerously easy to drink. Like a fine with moderate acidity and balanced tartness. A slow oaky finished followed by absolutely mind blowing notes of black currant and cherry skins. This beer is a marvel. I had this at a tasting of about 10 people. Everyone agreed this was the best of the night even though only 3 of us like sours and several of them hate them. This is a very accesible sour ale. And this beer was up against class competition in Port Old Viscoscity and Dark Island Reserve. This one blew everyone’s minds.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
beerinmarch (2830) - Washington, USA - MAR 1, 2009
On tap pours dark red with a small white head that diminishes quickly. Sort of looks like wine after the head settles. The bottled version had more carbonation producing a stronger head and more acidity. One tap the beer was a bit more mellow, allowing more of the currant flavor to come through. Dry and acidic with the sourness. Oak comes though mostly in the dryness, but softly woody and earthy in the finish. Seems like the currants add most of the sweetness to this beer. I slightly prefer the draught version of this I had, it seems to be a touch more mellow and the acidity wasn’t as sharp, but both were really top notch.