overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 1254   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.14/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Ale with currants added and aged in oak barrels.

When we made the Toronado’s 20th Anniversary Ale, we had no idea that it would turn out to be one of our favorite barrel aged beers we would ever make. With that said, we have always wanted to make a dark barrel aged beer using 100% Cabernet Sauvignon barrels but, we never were inspired. That is, until we blended five different beers to make the Toronado beer, the tobacco character from the the dark malts blended nicely with the furit character that developed in blending. So, with Concescration we set out to make a barrel beer using all Cabernet Sauvignon barrels. No, we are not saying that this is a replica of the T-rooms anniversary beer, after all, a beer like that can never be duplicated, and, there was no fruit added to that beer as there is with this one. All we are saying is that it gave us great inspiration to brew Consecration.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
jstraw (1963) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JAN 6, 2010
Dark red-brown with fizzy, tan head / Sour nose of currants, chocolate, oak, and brett / Medium body, zesty carbonation, tart and acidic, with good balance and finish / Earthy flavors of currants, cherries, raisins, oak, cocoa, and a good dose of barnyard brett / Very nice.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
keepersj12 (3062) - Sicklerville, New Jersey, USA - JAN 1, 2010
From Hawthornes in Philly. A whopping $34.00 but worth it. Pours a cloudy brown with a small head that doesn’t last. Aroma is like a very good belgian strong with sweetness and some spice. Flavor is quite different. Very sour with nice malt sweetness in the background along with some spices. Very crisp and dry finish. Warming on the throat with a nice nuttiness. Outstanding.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
EricE (1367) - Seattle, Washington, USA - JAN 1, 2010
Red brown clear pour with lots of carbonation. Funky and creamy aroma with fruit and grapes. Bitter and sour with lots of creamy funk and vanilla. Fruity with grapes and raisins and a bitter finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
brentfeesh (1208) - Mansfield, Ohio, USA - JAN 1, 2010
wow! what more can I say? best bottle of new years brew yet! very well balanced with just the right amount of sour. this will be tough to best in the coming year.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
SrSilliGose (3328) - pouring bus, New Brunswick, CANADA - DEC 30, 2009
UPDATED: MAY 13, 2011 batch 005x1F. clean plum skin, balsamic, red grapes, and oak aroma. moderate plumskim balsamic sourness. touch of doughy cocoa sweetness provides balance. warms into a tart cherry pie with a pleasant leather, oak complexity. quite dry. low carbonation. body is a bit thinner than expected. enjoyable for sure.

rerate. batch 004x2. consumed nov 1, 2010. twangy bright sour plum skins and leather attack the senses. sharp lactic sourness with a touch of balsamic. moderate oaky, wooden learther unripened plum sourness. clean. hardly any trace of booze. low carbonation. awesome beer. *****

original rating. Beergod #630. I was aiming for getting to rating 1000 on new years eve, but I got there a day early. Who gives a shit anyways. This beer only seems appropriate as I get consecrated into BeerGoddum. The goddam Cork came out with a nice pop. A steady pour down the middle of my star glass yields a clear dark copper hue with bright ruby red highlights and a sizeable frothy tan head.

Aroma is a nice flowing river of tangy plum, raisins, melted caramel, and chocolate covered cherry notes. As it warms, this bad boy smells like dark chocolate filled with tart cherries with a hint of booze and dates. I liked this more and more as time went on, but I was also smoking a far amount of hop like substance at the time- tricky to decompose the two effects.

ANYWAYS, Flavor has a sour cranberry wine juice like base with a layer of cocoa and medicine. Pretty damn good stuff. Very clean and distinct aroma and flavor. sharp.

Complaints? I don’t know. Does sour chocolate cherry wine taste similar to sour cherry cough medicine? Because I couldn’t get medicine out of my head at times with this beer. Regardless, this beer was quite good. A sour dark fruit wine mix with some chocolate and medicine popping in is the best way I can describe it.

Bottle. Batch 001x2 from hophead22. From my first trade. Thanks TIM! Who knows what number rating I would be celebrating if the base 10 system wasn’t so relatively easy for humans to understand?

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
WISEGUY572 (1377) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 29, 2009
A bottle fermented, barrel-aged Belgian sour. Dark chestnut brown pour, huge explosion of foam, limited lace, quickly vanishing tan head. The beer reminds me enormously of Rodenbach Grand Cru, almost certainly not because of the bacteria in the California oak barrels, probably because of the yeast and the current juice. But the total effect, sour fruit, sour yeast, oak, and malt, is nearly perfect.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
matt7215 (2278) - Cambridge, Ontario, CANADA - DEC 29, 2009
750 ml bottle from a trade with bhensonb. batch 1x1. pours dark marron with a fizzy tan head. aroma of huge acidic dark fruit, green berry stem, and booze. the flavour is quite complex. starts with current and cherry, some maple, oak in the middle, the finish is long, tart and sour. a little to fizzy but very easy to drink. stunningly good beer, better then i thought it’d be.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
mastabass666 (277) - California, USA - DEC 28, 2009
Batch 002x3. Dark red pour, little head. Aroma- sharp sourness, vinegar, dark cherry, oak, wine barrel, sourdough bread. Flavor- super tart up front, then a sourdough-currant fusion. Oak and wine come next. Mouth-puckering insanity, yet so complex, layer after layer of awesomeness. Fantastic.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
CheersMate (1340) - Portland (Sellhood), Oregon, USA - DEC 24, 2009
750 ml. from Pike Place Beer and Wine. Batch 2 x 3 (I am guessing this number is to be multiplied?). Ah...I have tried this numerous times, but this is the first time I actually have rated this thing. Nice dark brown body with a thin head sitting on top that eventually fades away, but a rather dark sour ale indeed. Sharp sour apple with a slight vinegar edge. Ah very aromatic beer. I can easily smell this masterpiece. I have had on tap, and to me it is better, but hell I am not even close to complaining. Nice subtle tart fruit flavor coming through as well. Damn this beer is a gift from God himself. Nice subtle tartness throughout. Makes a bold sour apple flavor. Slight vinegar to get it a very distinct tart/sour backing. Damn this thing is delicious. Wood gives it a nice beautiful flavor at first. Man you can really taste that amalgamation of wood and sour fruit (apple). Damn one of my favorite beers of all time. Nice smooth distinct palate. Damn what a beautiful beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
cheap (5305) - Beaver Valley, Beaver County, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 24, 2009
UPDATED: FEB 20, 2010 I am not worthy oh RR to rate this beer! Had this at the RB Pgh gathering 12/09. I love sours, but come on, 10% wew! Big thanks to Mr Chopin, he always brings the beers that rock! Funky cool aroma! Dark iced tea color. Sour tart and funky. Mouth coating wet wool blanket with slight alky burn but not like a 10 percenter. Decent fizzy biting cutting rubber carbonation. A quite complex brew to say the least. Leaves me wondering about the percentile it occupies, again I am not worthy but I was really glad to have had the chance to taste this since sour is my favorite flavor.