overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 1124   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.13   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Ale with currants added and aged in oak barrels.

When we made the Toronadoís 20th Anniversary Ale, we had no idea that it would turn out to be one of our favorite barrel aged beers we would ever make. With that said, we have always wanted to make a dark barrel aged beer using 100% Cabernet Sauvignon barrels but, we never were inspired. That is, until we blended five different beers to make the Toronado beer, the tobacco character from the the dark malts blended nicely with the furit character that developed in blending. So, with Concescration we set out to make a barrel beer using all Cabernet Sauvignon barrels. No, we are not saying that this is a replica of the T-rooms anniversary beer, after all, a beer like that can never be duplicated, and, there was no fruit added to that beer as there is with this one. All we are saying is that it gave us great inspiration to brew Consecration.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
KUEric (886) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - JUN 3, 2009
Wow. I loved Russian River and all of its hops. But this guy was perhaps thier most impressive beer. The aroma was interesting, an almost soy sauce like aroma to go along with a rasinish aroma and sour notes. The flavor was a more tastey than the smell was. Strong bitterly sour taste that i just couldnít get enough of. One flavor that my notes highlighted a couple of times was a sour-cola.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
f351c4v (411) - Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 2, 2009
UPDATED: JUN 6, 2009 On tap @ Toronado. Pours a dark ruby red with a ring of off white head. Sweet, tart aroma, slightly funky. Great body; biting carbonation gives way to extreme sourness, almost a vinegar feel to it. Sweet and tart finish, no way is the 10% abv noticable. Awesome.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Chef Chad (104) - Omaha, Nebraska, USA - JUN 1, 2009
First of all let me say I am totally novice when it comes to Sours. So much so I could not tell what is good and what is not. I will rate this like I would any other beer..I will base it on the other sours I have had and if I like it better than them. I was amazed by this beer and I fell in love with it.. I donít need to buy La folie again.. Consecration I would.. I ranked La folie higher than I should of based on that is was my first sour that I had had. The aroma was robust and ..well... sour. It was full of oak and fruit. The beer was just stunning to look at. It looked aged and the color was opaque brown, a see through brown with a lively white head. Mouth feel was full and it did make you pucker a bit but not too much and the beer palatability mellowed the longer it was opened. The flavor was one to savor and respect. I love currants and cook with them often. And you could taste the presence of these lovely little morsels. A well balanced wood backbone and a strong but mellow sour taste. there was balsamic vinegar essence with this beer and it made it quite lovely. I honestly thought of a pristine setting when sipping this beer.. I am totally beer geekíd to try my next sour!!! I am fast becoming a fan of Russian River..

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
KAME (160) - California, USA - JUN 1, 2009
Bottle shared amongst friends. Pours a dark reddish-brown with a lasting off-white head. Aroma is beautifully sour with lotís of Cabernet tannins and oaky notes with hints of red wine vinegar. Flavor is classic RR affair but is much more malty than their other sour offerings. Flavors of tart berries, leather, and oak combine into a wonderful montage. This really is a great brew and the alcohol is completely undetectable. This really blurs the line between wine and beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
sirpsycho (393) - Murrysville, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 31, 2009
Bottle, batch 001X3. Rating # 300. Pours a hazy, dark amber, very slight off-white head. Sour berries dominate the aroma. Flavor is dominated by sour vinuous notes of slightly overripe fruit, mostly cherry, berries, plum and also some very slight wood notes that really blend nicely, not overdone. Finish is dry and sour.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
HOPSHUNTER (742) - Tampa, Florida, USA - MAY 30, 2009
UPDATED: SEP 5, 2009 Bottle. Tried my best on this one. I just donít understand sours yet. Poured a dark orange-ish brown with a tall beige head. Aroma is of sour fruit and wood. Medium bodied. Flavor is immensely sour with some mild fruit under tones. Nice carbonation, finish is highly acidic and tart. I will try this again when I have some more experience with sours.

Re-rate: Well persistence paid off and after trying many sour beers I have finally started to develop a taste for them. Not only have I developed the palate for them but they are quickly becoming one of my favorite styles. To date I have had 4 bottles of Consecration and itís time I gave it the rating it deserves. This beer really is great, very sour and extremely tasty. I love this beer!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
gkost (1710) - Tampa, Florida, USA - MAY 30, 2009
Bottle courtesy of Gillard. Poured a deep red/brown. Nose is acetic, dark fruits, tart sourness, some malt. Flavor is a powerful burst of sour, followed by some sweetness and funk. Lots of raisin, fig and some wood lingering. Lovely!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
JoeMcPhee (8411) - Toronto, ON, Ontario, CANADA - MAY 29, 2009
UPDATED: FEB 7, 2010 Batch 1X02. Bottle was almost impossible to get open without a corkscrew. Deep garnet-brown pour with a bit of lazy off white lace around the glass. The nose is really awesome. A chewy, leathery sweaty nose with a light kiss of acetic character in addition to a fairly intense rich dark fruity character. There is a bit of soft oakiness in addition to the dank fruitiness. Rich and quite intense with a lot of dark, plummy Belgian malt through the middle. Rich, chewy, funkiness on the back of the palate. There is a lot of earthy/leathery tannic cherry/currant skin. This contributes a lovely mouthfeel to the beer. Soft and fruity with a mix of sweet malt, fruit and a lingering tartness. Itís less funky than the batch 04, even with an extra six months on it. Tartness is quite restrained and the fruit comes out more than I recall. Some soft acetic character on the back along with a touch of warming alcohol. Pretty damn terrific stuff. Bottle shared by someone at "Drink for Charity" event at Rattle N Hum. X04. Deep ruddy-garnet beer. Rich tannic aroma. Chewy and fruity with a really lovely funky brightness. Big bright funkiness. Bretty and chewy with a rich fruitiness. Lots of rich leather, dark fruit and a tingly chewiness. The fruit is less obvious in the mouth than in the nose. Tannic and sour and completely delicious. Great stuff that should age beautifully. 8 4 8 3 16

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
travita (3954) - Frisco, Texas, USA - MAY 27, 2009
Bottle thanks to Bman1113vr. The smell is sour, funk, oak, tart, fruits, and barnyard. The look is muddy, reddish color, decent biege colored head. The taste is funk, sour, fruits, tart, and wood.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
KAggie97 (3529) - Ugly, Hot, and Humid Spring, Texas, USA - MAY 26, 2009
Bottle from Aplusbreaks, sampled at March Houston tasting. Thanks, dude! Pours a deep mahogany with a lilí olí head and an aroma of oaky dark fruits and an old cedar house. Flavor is a rush of sour dark fruits with thin, whispery hints of alcohol. Tingly and lasting mouthfeel. Great, great brew; Bleeng thinks it would benefit from barrel aging, post-barrel aging. Thanks, Austin!