overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 1141   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.13   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Ale with currants added and aged in oak barrels.

When we made the Toronado’s 20th Anniversary Ale, we had no idea that it would turn out to be one of our favorite barrel aged beers we would ever make. With that said, we have always wanted to make a dark barrel aged beer using 100% Cabernet Sauvignon barrels but, we never were inspired. That is, until we blended five different beers to make the Toronado beer, the tobacco character from the the dark malts blended nicely with the furit character that developed in blending. So, with Concescration we set out to make a barrel beer using all Cabernet Sauvignon barrels. No, we are not saying that this is a replica of the T-rooms anniversary beer, after all, a beer like that can never be duplicated, and, there was no fruit added to that beer as there is with this one. All we are saying is that it gave us great inspiration to brew Consecration.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Birdiebeagle (958) - Perkasie, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 9, 2009
Bottle Pours a clear brown with a good off white fizzy head. The head leaves quickly. Reminds me of soda pop. Aroma is of dark fruit. Apples, cherries, and a touch of the oak. Has a good carbonation. The flavor is real good. A lot of sweetness but kicked up by a sour ending. Has a dry texture. This is a differnt style than I would normally drink but it is excellent. Has a great finish and the aftertaste stays with you for days. This is quite a tasty beer. Cost a little more than I spend but was worth it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
fonefan (35959) - VestJylland, DENMARK - JUN 9, 2009
UPDATED: JUN 22, 2009 Bottle 75cl.
[ Courtesy of Uncle Jimbo ]. Light unclear medium amber color with virtually none head. Aroma is moderate to heavy malty, berry sour, wood, like a mix of old Bordeaux wine - grapes - apples - citrus, alcoholic, fruity - apricot ? Flavor is heavy sweet, moderate acidic and sour with a long duration. Body is medium, texture is oily, carbonation is soft to flat, finish feel is light to moderate alcoholic. [20090306]
8-4-9-3-18
Bottle 75cl. @ Papsoes blindtasting. [ Bottle #13. ]
Unclear medium orange amber color with a average, frothy, good lacing, mostly lasting, off-white head. Aroma is moderate to heavy berry sour, citrus, grape, caramel, wood, fruity, cask wood. Flavor is heavy sweet, moderate to light light heavy acidic and vinegar with a long duration, and a dry dry finish. Body is medium, texture is watery to oily, carbonation is soft. [20090105]
8-4-9-3-18

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
sneagrams3 (2337) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - JUN 8, 2009
Murky, with a dark ruby hue. Aromas of dark fruit. Plums and tart cherries. Big effervescence. Finishes dry and astringent. Tart and tingling with vinuous notes. Cloying finish with a hint of cranberries.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
KimJohansen (10350) - Frederiksberg C, DENMARK - JUN 8, 2009
Hazy dark amber with a medium beige head. Aroma had acetone, glue, sour berries, wood and vinegar. Flavour had sour berries, roasted malt, wood, vinegar, plums, lacto, brett, currants and leather. Finished sour and very refreshing. Love it!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
ogglethorp (917) - Ohio, USA - JUN 7, 2009
Bottle from sliffy, thanks man! Pours a dark ruby color with thin tan head. Aroma is tart cherries, slight musty funk, dark dried fruits. Flavor is tart cranberry, caramel, raisins, alcohol, oak, vinegar. Palate is medium bodied, medium carbonation, finished dry and with a medium sourness. Solid, but not my favorite of their sours, gimme supplication any day.

nolankowal (932) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - JUN 6, 2009
Bottle shared by sliffy, thanks Dan! Pours a dirty copper with a light fiizt tan head. Aroma of brown sugar, fruits, malt, little funk and sourness. Flavors of musty tart fruits, light sweet malt...a bit of breadyness to it but not enough to call it "bready". Light body, though heavier than most of their sours...bit of dry bitterness throughout. Sweet dry and lightly with a slight musty quality. Pretty tasty, though I think it’s not their best sour.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
DuffManSW (436) - Riverside, California, USA - JUN 3, 2009
Bottle from La Bodega in Riverside...I told myself I wasn’t gonna rate sours but I had a craving for one. I think I might be pregnant....Pours deep amber with a light brown head.. Smell is slightly fruity, tart, funky with a hint alcohol.. Flavor is very tangy, tart and finishes dry. Has some woody notes to it as well... Lots of carbonation... Damn now I am going to have to start trading for sours...

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
KUEric (886) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - JUN 3, 2009
Wow. I loved Russian River and all of its hops. But this guy was perhaps thier most impressive beer. The aroma was interesting, an almost soy sauce like aroma to go along with a rasinish aroma and sour notes. The flavor was a more tastey than the smell was. Strong bitterly sour taste that i just couldn’t get enough of. One flavor that my notes highlighted a couple of times was a sour-cola.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
f351c4v (411) - Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 2, 2009
UPDATED: JUN 6, 2009 On tap @ Toronado. Pours a dark ruby red with a ring of off white head. Sweet, tart aroma, slightly funky. Great body; biting carbonation gives way to extreme sourness, almost a vinegar feel to it. Sweet and tart finish, no way is the 10% abv noticable. Awesome.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Chef Chad (104) - Omaha, Nebraska, USA - JUN 1, 2009
First of all let me say I am totally novice when it comes to Sours. So much so I could not tell what is good and what is not. I will rate this like I would any other beer..I will base it on the other sours I have had and if I like it better than them. I was amazed by this beer and I fell in love with it.. I don’t need to buy La folie again.. Consecration I would.. I ranked La folie higher than I should of based on that is was my first sour that I had had. The aroma was robust and ..well... sour. It was full of oak and fruit. The beer was just stunning to look at. It looked aged and the color was opaque brown, a see through brown with a lively white head. Mouth feel was full and it did make you pucker a bit but not too much and the beer palatability mellowed the longer it was opened. The flavor was one to savor and respect. I love currants and cook with them often. And you could taste the presence of these lovely little morsels. A well balanced wood backbone and a strong but mellow sour taste. there was balsamic vinegar essence with this beer and it made it quite lovely. I honestly thought of a pristine setting when sipping this beer.. I am totally beer geek’d to try my next sour!!! I am fast becoming a fan of Russian River..