overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 1168   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.14   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Ale with currants added and aged in oak barrels.

When we made the Toronado’s 20th Anniversary Ale, we had no idea that it would turn out to be one of our favorite barrel aged beers we would ever make. With that said, we have always wanted to make a dark barrel aged beer using 100% Cabernet Sauvignon barrels but, we never were inspired. That is, until we blended five different beers to make the Toronado beer, the tobacco character from the the dark malts blended nicely with the furit character that developed in blending. So, with Concescration we set out to make a barrel beer using all Cabernet Sauvignon barrels. No, we are not saying that this is a replica of the T-rooms anniversary beer, after all, a beer like that can never be duplicated, and, there was no fruit added to that beer as there is with this one. All we are saying is that it gave us great inspiration to brew Consecration.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
KimJohansen (10347) - Frederiksberg C, DENMARK - JUN 8, 2009
Hazy dark amber with a medium beige head. Aroma had acetone, glue, sour berries, wood and vinegar. Flavour had sour berries, roasted malt, wood, vinegar, plums, lacto, brett, currants and leather. Finished sour and very refreshing. Love it!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
ogglethorp (917) - Ohio, USA - JUN 7, 2009
Bottle from sliffy, thanks man! Pours a dark ruby color with thin tan head. Aroma is tart cherries, slight musty funk, dark dried fruits. Flavor is tart cranberry, caramel, raisins, alcohol, oak, vinegar. Palate is medium bodied, medium carbonation, finished dry and with a medium sourness. Solid, but not my favorite of their sours, gimme supplication any day.

nolankowal (936) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - JUN 6, 2009
Bottle shared by sliffy, thanks Dan! Pours a dirty copper with a light fiizt tan head. Aroma of brown sugar, fruits, malt, little funk and sourness. Flavors of musty tart fruits, light sweet malt...a bit of breadyness to it but not enough to call it "bready". Light body, though heavier than most of their sours...bit of dry bitterness throughout. Sweet dry and lightly with a slight musty quality. Pretty tasty, though I think it’s not their best sour.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
DuffManSW (436) - Riverside, California, USA - JUN 3, 2009
Bottle from La Bodega in Riverside...I told myself I wasn’t gonna rate sours but I had a craving for one. I think I might be pregnant....Pours deep amber with a light brown head.. Smell is slightly fruity, tart, funky with a hint alcohol.. Flavor is very tangy, tart and finishes dry. Has some woody notes to it as well... Lots of carbonation... Damn now I am going to have to start trading for sours...

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
KUEric (888) - San Francisco, California, USA - JUN 3, 2009
Wow. I loved Russian River and all of its hops. But this guy was perhaps thier most impressive beer. The aroma was interesting, an almost soy sauce like aroma to go along with a rasinish aroma and sour notes. The flavor was a more tastey than the smell was. Strong bitterly sour taste that i just couldn’t get enough of. One flavor that my notes highlighted a couple of times was a sour-cola.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
f351c4v (411) - Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 2, 2009
UPDATED: JUN 6, 2009 On tap @ Toronado. Pours a dark ruby red with a ring of off white head. Sweet, tart aroma, slightly funky. Great body; biting carbonation gives way to extreme sourness, almost a vinegar feel to it. Sweet and tart finish, no way is the 10% abv noticable. Awesome.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Chef Chad (104) - Omaha, Nebraska, USA - JUN 1, 2009
First of all let me say I am totally novice when it comes to Sours. So much so I could not tell what is good and what is not. I will rate this like I would any other beer..I will base it on the other sours I have had and if I like it better than them. I was amazed by this beer and I fell in love with it.. I don’t need to buy La folie again.. Consecration I would.. I ranked La folie higher than I should of based on that is was my first sour that I had had. The aroma was robust and ..well... sour. It was full of oak and fruit. The beer was just stunning to look at. It looked aged and the color was opaque brown, a see through brown with a lively white head. Mouth feel was full and it did make you pucker a bit but not too much and the beer palatability mellowed the longer it was opened. The flavor was one to savor and respect. I love currants and cook with them often. And you could taste the presence of these lovely little morsels. A well balanced wood backbone and a strong but mellow sour taste. there was balsamic vinegar essence with this beer and it made it quite lovely. I honestly thought of a pristine setting when sipping this beer.. I am totally beer geek’d to try my next sour!!! I am fast becoming a fan of Russian River..

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
KAME (160) - California, USA - JUN 1, 2009
Bottle shared amongst friends. Pours a dark reddish-brown with a lasting off-white head. Aroma is beautifully sour with lot’s of Cabernet tannins and oaky notes with hints of red wine vinegar. Flavor is classic RR affair but is much more malty than their other sour offerings. Flavors of tart berries, leather, and oak combine into a wonderful montage. This really is a great brew and the alcohol is completely undetectable. This really blurs the line between wine and beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
sirpsycho (393) - Murrysville, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 31, 2009
Bottle, batch 001X3. Rating # 300. Pours a hazy, dark amber, very slight off-white head. Sour berries dominate the aroma. Flavor is dominated by sour vinuous notes of slightly overripe fruit, mostly cherry, berries, plum and also some very slight wood notes that really blend nicely, not overdone. Finish is dry and sour.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
HOPSHUNTER (742) - Tampa, Florida, USA - MAY 30, 2009
UPDATED: SEP 5, 2009 Bottle. Tried my best on this one. I just don’t understand sours yet. Poured a dark orange-ish brown with a tall beige head. Aroma is of sour fruit and wood. Medium bodied. Flavor is immensely sour with some mild fruit under tones. Nice carbonation, finish is highly acidic and tart. I will try this again when I have some more experience with sours.

Re-rate: Well persistence paid off and after trying many sour beers I have finally started to develop a taste for them. Not only have I developed the palate for them but they are quickly becoming one of my favorite styles. To date I have had 4 bottles of Consecration and it’s time I gave it the rating it deserves. This beer really is great, very sour and extremely tasty. I love this beer!