Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 1204   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.14/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Ale with currants added and aged in oak barrels.

When we made the Toronado’s 20th Anniversary Ale, we had no idea that it would turn out to be one of our favorite barrel aged beers we would ever make. With that said, we have always wanted to make a dark barrel aged beer using 100% Cabernet Sauvignon barrels but, we never were inspired. That is, until we blended five different beers to make the Toronado beer, the tobacco character from the the dark malts blended nicely with the furit character that developed in blending. So, with Concescration we set out to make a barrel beer using all Cabernet Sauvignon barrels. No, we are not saying that this is a replica of the T-rooms anniversary beer, after all, a beer like that can never be duplicated, and, there was no fruit added to that beer as there is with this one. All we are saying is that it gave us great inspiration to brew Consecration.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
CapnJazz (52) - Binghamton, New York, USA - JUL 7, 2009
UPDATED: AUG 28, 2011 Ratings from both batch 1 and batch 2. In summation -- batch 1 has more of a funky currant twang, is a little thin in the body, and is just damn awesome. A lot of black cherries and funk come out. Batch 2 is more subtle but is awesomely well put together. Amazing brett explosion, and a lot of qualities of good aged wild beers, if that makes sense. Better than batch 1, I think, a wonderful beer!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
JaBier (5928) - Capital City, Ohio, USA - JUL 7, 2009
Bottle sample at Muckfest 2009 Day 1. Pours cloudy amber with a thin tan head. Sour aroma with apple and cherry notes. Fruity and tart flavor with a bit of alcohol presence and an acidic vinegar finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
BeerVirgin72 (880) - Pickerington, Ohio, USA - JUL 5, 2009
Bottle shared at Muckfest 2009 in Lancaster Ohio. Poured a light amber gold color, some murkiness. Sweet aroma of cherry sweet tarts. Flavor was tart and lively cherries and soda like. A bit of sour lemon. I am not a fan of sours, but this one was very good and could well prove my starting point to likeing them!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
argo0 (12509) - Washington DC, USA - JUL 5, 2009
(DC Local Gathering, 750ml bottle, Batch 2, thanks CaptainCougar) Small beige head atop clear copper body. Aroma is moderately sweet, wood, some cherry, sourness. taste is medium sweet, sour, lemon, some cherry, light wood. Light-medium body, some acidity, alcohol very well hidden.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
sunevdj (3548) - Copenhagen OE, DENMARK - JUL 4, 2009
On tap at Falling rock. Pours a clear brown with a small off-white head. Mellow sweetnes with some sourness. Aromas of berries and hints of vinegar.Also aromas of red wine and wood. Reminds me of Duchesse du Bourgogne. Full flavoured and bodied. Medim to high carbonation. Sour and fruity finish. Good.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
eaglefan538 (2966) - Wilmington, Delaware, USA - JUL 2, 2009
Beer number four in a killer July 09 Super Secret Sour State Line Tasting (SSSSLT) featuring (first to last by my counts): Supplication, Consecration, La Folie, Dissident, Cuvee de Castleton, Red Poppy, Lambic de Hill, Festina Lente, Panil. This one poured a dark hazy murky brownish color, some red hues too. The aroma was caramel and dark berries, light wood and funk. The flavor was rich caramel and dark berries (figs works too), vinous notes, light spicey woody elements in the finish. Ample amounts of leather, although the tobacco could have been what I was getting (tannins). Tart berries increased with temperature. Lively mouthfeel. Double digits ABV, are you kidding me? No way, smooth as all get out. Thanks to Steve or Gabe for bringing this Batch 001-4x along!!!!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
notalush (5513) - Denver, Colorado, USA - JUL 2, 2009
Thanks to AmEricanbrew for this - batch 1, opened in celebration of my new job - dark reddish-purple pour - fizzy, quickly dissipating head - beautiful aroma of potent oak and red wine tannins, cherry, currant, raspberry, cinnamon, nutmeg, notes of chocolate, mild acidity - the flavor isn’t as balanced (really heavy on the oak), but it’s still really good - starts with strong tannins and acidity, damp oak - some sweet cherry and chocolate very briefly through the middle - dries out quickly, bringing acetic/vinegar qualities, moderate acidity, very earthy, tart currant flavor - very vinous throughout - acidity gets prickly in the finish - a light warmth in the finish is the only thing even hinting at how strong the beer is - there is a bitter cherry pit flavor that develops as it warms that is this beers only real flaw - I think it needs a little more time to smooth out, but this is still a great beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
ChazMania (660) - Oceanside, California, USA - JUL 2, 2009
Bottled. I sat on this for a month or so which is longer than I can normally wait. Upon pour I had radical extreme aroma and flavor. Sour and sweet, cherry and wood. Maybe I need more of this but as it is fantastic I could not drink much more than a pint or so of this .........,max.........

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
robforbes (2089) - Bremerton, Washington, USA - JUL 1, 2009
pours a dark brown with a ruby tint when held to the light, a small khaki head that dissipates quickly, and some lacing. smell is sour, dark fruits, and wood. taste is tart, sour malt, and dark fruit, end is nicely tart.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
ross (2128) - weddington, North Carolina, USA - JUN 30, 2009
Bottle. Pours out a dark brown color with a tan head on it. Bottle blew out onto the bar when I opened it, I was hoping it wasnt ruined, and thank god, it wasnt. Smell is full of a cherry sour funk with oak and vanilla notes. Taste is just incredible, sweet yet very sour, cherries, oak, there is just so much going on. This is a beer to drink over a long period of time to pick out all of the flavors in it. The 10% alcohol is not existent. This could be 3%, and it wouldn’t change the flavor. This beer proves why Vinnie is probably the best brewer in the country. Awesome beer.