overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 1142   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.13   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Ale with currants added and aged in oak barrels.

When we made the Toronado’s 20th Anniversary Ale, we had no idea that it would turn out to be one of our favorite barrel aged beers we would ever make. With that said, we have always wanted to make a dark barrel aged beer using 100% Cabernet Sauvignon barrels but, we never were inspired. That is, until we blended five different beers to make the Toronado beer, the tobacco character from the the dark malts blended nicely with the furit character that developed in blending. So, with Concescration we set out to make a barrel beer using all Cabernet Sauvignon barrels. No, we are not saying that this is a replica of the T-rooms anniversary beer, after all, a beer like that can never be duplicated, and, there was no fruit added to that beer as there is with this one. All we are saying is that it gave us great inspiration to brew Consecration.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
DYCSoccer17 (3357) - Woodland, California, USA - APR 27, 2009
12 ounce sample on tap at the brewpub. Bretty, funky, fruity aroma with some dried fruits...almost cherry-like, but likely currants. There is also some anise and light sweetness present in the nose. This is pretty aromatic and rather pleasant. Transparent mahogany body with a small off-white head and fair lacing present. Starts tart, sour, funky, with some brett and other bug flavors. Becomes more fruity with pitted fruits in the middle. Finishes pretty dry with some weird woody, cardboard flavors late, which is kind of off-putting. Ethanol is hidden well, if this is really 10%

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
joeneugs (3495) - Livermore, California, USA - APR 26, 2009
UPDATED: MAR 6, 2013 I was a little upset when I popped the cork on this one and a quarter of the bottle came spilling out onto the floor. This is extremely lively. It has a beautiful dark ruby brown color with a light brown fizzy head that climbs high, then dissapears. The aroma is not too complex, with cranberries, rasberries, currants, sour cherries and wood. The taste is mouthwateringly sour and effervescent, with the same flavor of tart fruit, mainly berries. As my first sour ale, this reminds me of a very sophisticated red wine spritzer, only with more depth due to the wood aging, medium body, and mild bitterness at the end. I would love to pair this beer food……………………………………………………………………… Batch 7 botled on 10/21/11. tasted on 3/6/13. It ours a dark reddish brown with a fizzy head that disappears quickly. The aroma is vinous with dark fruit, currants, grapes, raisins, cherries, hint of chocolate, leather and tobacco. Rich and balanced. The flavor is rich dark fruits with great balanced cabernet notes, barrel, leather, hay… really awesome. Mouthwatering. Love it still.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
RCL (2030) - Waltham, Massachusetts, USA - APR 25, 2009
This has a very distinctive aroma of currents, sour cherries, vanilla oakiness, and leather. This reminds me very much of a fine red Burgundy. Good tannins and acidity; this beer needs fine food.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
OldMrCrow (1952) - Seattle, Washington, USA - APR 25, 2009
UPDATED: AUG 27, 2010 Bottle batch 001x1 4/25/09

Pours a red brown, like a Flemish brown, ample head. Gorgeous aroma of fruit with vanilla oak coming abundantly on as it warms. Tart - lemon - but not overwhelmingly so, wood and caramel driving through the middle of the sour flavors. Very nice balance, dry tannic finish with a hint of must, recalling and old red wine and just a really fine whisper, very late, of sweet current skins. Sparkling mouthfeel with abundant but not overdone carbonation. Superb beer. 9/4/9/5/17=4.4

Revisit at the Naked City sour tasting. To my surprise, this one was not particularly close to being the beer of the night. It’s good, sure -- but it’s buttery and despite gorgeous tart cherry it’s in the low fours, not the mid fours. I’d have called it at 9/4/8/4/16= 4.1. I’ll drop it to a 4.3 and consider myself generous.

Third revisit at Toronado, draft on 3/25/10. Very good, but yeah, this is a 4.2 beer not a 4.4 beer. I’ll drop to 4.2.
Fourth revisit, Batch 001x1. Bottle. 8/27/10. Despite rumors that this one is on the downslide, I found it really good, maybe better than I remember from either of the previous two encounters. Musty red wine for sure, maybe mellower on the acidity. Buttery, yes, a bit. But it works and 4.2 I don’t feel generous, just spot-on.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Lagunitasfan (1321) - San Diego, California, USA - APR 25, 2009
200th rating of this beer. Batch 001x4. Strong pop from the bottle. Dark red brown in the glass. Not much head to speak of, but a light ring and small amount of lace. Cranberry nose. Deep tartness. Smells great. Light pucker power in the mouth. Nice deep tartness with the fruity spicy background. Beautiful.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
badgerben (4502) - Blaine, Minnesota, USA - APR 25, 2009
SourFest II. Bottling #1. Courtesy of Skyview. Dark brown color with no head. Sweet malt aroma. Very fruity taste. Some currant notes. Heavy and thick malt. Finishes off with a bit of oak.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
DonMagi (5596) - bantervile, Bedfordshire, ENGLAND - APR 25, 2009
Bottle thanks to an american chap had over at mesandsims. Alround rating: Spicey tartness, some cherry berry fruityness, very peppery, seems to have more bitterness than expected also. Its kind of like a quad thats got infected or like its got red wine in it or something. Its not really my scene, i prefer my sours clean and sour, where as this is sweet and spicey, infact it doesnt really seem to be a sour to me, more just a beer with berry fruit in it.

pepsican (1452) - @ $13.99, Iowa, USA - APR 25, 2009
hand bottle from my favorite person thats ever left iowa for santa rosa. OK, you may be the only one, but don’t feel less special. Thanks joey. High light of the night for me. Amber pour with a nice little head coming off of it. Flavor was up front cranberry, plums, an plenty of tannic wine notes. Very tart, mildly refreshing and yum. I had a good time with this one, so did everyone else. Thanks a bunch.

Schroppfy (2360) - Łódż, Warsaw, Poland; Michigan, Ohio, USA - APR 22, 2009
Minimal head, wonderfully ruddy dark bronze color, big, slick (almost) body from the currants. Aroma is deeply fruited, sweet and sour mixing. Quite fruity flavors; sour but not heavily so. Wonderful melding of flavors includes tannins (leather, 9 volt battery) and a raisin quality to the fruit. Drinks very easily, and not much hint of 10% (bottle split among three people). Delicious and worth investing in (which is what I have done).

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Enniskillen (2029) - Salinas, California, USA - APR 22, 2009
Ruby with no head. Aroma is a light funk, currants are strong, light oak, vanilla. Taste is a nice sourness, currants showing, light grapefruit zest, oak. Body is a bit more lively then I like, but with these beers it’s hard to get dead on.